Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oregon Raceway park - HPDE Day, First track day for the "zonk"
BKLA
post Apr 20 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Really old member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Three hour tow from portland, two mile gravel road to track from Grass Valley- no gas or services at track, but I was excited to get the "zonk" out on the track for the first time!

http://www.oregonraceway.com/

ORP is still a work in progress, but from my point of view, the track is challenging and quick. The videos DO NOT give justice to the elevation changes nor the blind apexes. The track is a blast to drive but will take some time to find the really quick line around.

There are a couple of areas that I found particularly challenging - the braking zone into the barn turn, and the last uphill off camber turn with a blind apex at a K barrier onto the front straight.

Honestly, it is the most physically demanding track I've driven in a while. I feel like I was in a shifter kart! Sore and tired from being used and abused.... But in a good way.

The gearbox I have in the car is pretty good for this track. (A GA M Q V) Third gear in most areas with second only once (when I messed up) fourth and fifth on the two straights when running about 7/10's. Front sway bar set at mid stiff, shocks (koni yellows) set at two clicks (mid between full hard and full soft). I am not running a limited slip nor am I running a rear bar. The setup was very neutral and predicable. Tires were at 32 all around (cold) and headed to 36 all around after the quicker second session. Oil temp was a problem as it didn't get over 150! Trans temp was 155 with no cooler.

I only ran the first two sessions as I set off my extinguisher system (by accident!) and didn't think it prudent to push the car any harder without a fire suit and a functioning fire suppression system! Besides, it was my first "test" track day and I didn't need to do anything stupid!

If the economy cooperates, I will do more this summer at ORP. Next time, I won't forget the DV camera!

here's a link to a BMW video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm83o0tXMUk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6freak
post Apr 20 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #2

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

I can hardly wait ....any plans on paving the driveway soon ?? looks like im gonna use lots of breaks
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Apr 20 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #3

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590

I heard that the county was supposed to pave Blagg lane to the track once it was paving was complete. However, given the current economic climate that most counties find themselves, who knows when it will get paved.

As to the "driveway" I didn't hear a timeline, but I would assume that it would happen the same time as the south paddock (grading now) or when the lane gets paved.

There are plans for other short term amenities as well!
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Apr 29 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #4

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74

ICSCC has an event there scheduled for October. I cannot wait!
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Apr 29 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

I rode my cafe CB400 out to the track from Portland last Saturday to observe the first bike track day. Yeah, the 2 mile gravel approach rode had me a little frieked out. Kept wondering when the open stacks were gonna ingest a rock...

Holy crap it was windy and dusty. Reminded me of West Texas when the sky would turn orange.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 11:16 PM