Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Injection intake, When is the stock plenum not enough?
jhadler
post Apr 27 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #1

Long term tinkerer...

Group: Members
Member No.: 529

So... I'm just thinking...

I've got this set of independent throttles sitting on a shelf in my garage, but my understanding is that they're not necessary for a basically stock motor. That being said, at what point do independent throttles become useful?

Cam? What kind of cam will limit the stock manifold?
Bore? How much displacement will limit the stock manifold?
Compression? At what point is more flow needed?

I know that the very first answer form Mr. Raby will be "it's all in the combination", and that makes perfect sense. But I still would like to get some ideas at what will limit the stock intake plumbing.

Example: What about a 2056 with an FI cam? Will individual throttles be needed at all? Or would the stock manifold be sufficient? Would there be any gains to going to ITB's even if the stock manifold was sufficient?

Thanks all!

-Josh2
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Apr 27 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

None at all, i'll take those from you so you can clear up some shop space ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 28 2009, 06:46 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

All depends if you are trying to use DJet or not. If you are going to aftermarket FI then the stock manifolds make no sense to use...switch it over to independant TB's and go with a better cam .
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 28 2009, 07:10 AM
Post #4

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Think of it as how much air can you suck.

A 2050 sucks a little more air than a stock 2.0 so a stock system, and the stock system should handle it well.

Be aware that the FI cam is a match for the stock manifolds, and works best with it.

Add throttle bodies to the FI cam, and it's like running a FI cam with webers- a mismatch.

The length of the intake manifolds has a distinct effect on performance. It's a reflected pulse thing and depending on manifold/throttle body/vellocity stack length, you can shift the max power point up and down the RPM range.

For example, if you use throttle bodies, there are short manifolds and long manifolds and different power points for each. There are also different lenghts of velocity stacks and they shift the power point too.

So, it's all in the combo...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:41 PM