Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 73 2.0L Progress Thread, Engine Teardown
oz371
post Apr 25 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,739
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Apr 25 2010, 01:36 PM) *

I've been meaning to post an update but I have been too busy driving the car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) I finished putting the car back together on Friday (muffler, rocker panels, door innards, fuel tank, headlight hardware, and cleaning painting and installing a new front bumper.) I also made sure to switch all the trim back to anodized since the trim was black before. I had a few sets lying around so all went together nicely. I still have some small things to do like do a final fitment of lids, install sail vinyl, door pockets etc. Once the car was put back together, it started right up and ran beautifully. I'm so glad I can drive this car again. It is a huge weight off my shoulders now that it is drivable. Anyways I will post some pictures now.

I'll get more pictures of the car up later.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Love the color. Way to go!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AndrewP
post Apr 25 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #182

Member No.: 10,572

Definitely inspiring....

Andrew
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Apr 25 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #183

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

That is frickin beautiful!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I really like the color.

Took me forever to go from paint to drivable, that was quick work.

John
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Apr 27 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #184

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

I just realized that its been exactly a year since I really started working on the car. Not bad considering I had a full time job during the summer, and am a full time student the rest of the time plus I was even able to drive it for a few months. I thought I would re-show a few old shots for a better comparison.

Before the work...

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Apr 27 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #185

Howdy

After all the work...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Apr 27 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #186

Howdy

Attached Image

Attached Image

I even toyed with the idea of adding a luggage rack but have pretty much decided i like it better without it

Attached Image

+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Apr 27 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #187

Howdy

I *might* be taking my car on a long trip coming up in the next two weeks. I will know for sure after this weekend. Regardless, I will be switching out the transmission this weekend. Ever since I started driving the car, Reverse, first, and second gear all have issues and I have tried adjustment with no luck. Ironically, I've been too lazy to switch it out yet so this weekend will be it! I will also be checking my timing and dwell, and do a valve adjustment while i have the heat exchangers out. Plus a lot of final touches will be done to get the car in tip top shape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 28 2010, 08:54 AM
Post #188

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks great!

I like the color, that's very cool.

Oh, and adjust your headlights man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 1 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #189

Howdy

Well I got the transmission changed out yesterday and everything went smoothly. The car shifts much better now and there is finally no more grinding! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I also ordered a rebuilt alternator because the old one was a bit noisy and on its way out. I got a 75 amp unit which is a pretty good upgrade from the 50 amp I pulled out of the car. I changed it out this afternoon.

It sure is pretty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Attached Image

Tomorrow I plan to adjust the valves, timing and dwell and just work on smaller things.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 2 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #190

Howdy

I got a lot of smaller stuff done today. I adjusted the headlights, added a second horn, straightened the steering wheel, added the chrome strip at the bottom of the sail panels, some other things I can't remember right now and made sure to take it for a test drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I also added my tow bar bracket to the front end. Luckily it tucked up right behind the LE valence. I will probably keep it installed long term just in case the need ever arises.

Front tow bracket
Attached Image
Note: All the specs on the front bumper are bugs not chips (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif)

Attached Image

If you can tell I like posting pictures of my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gudhjem
post May 6 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #191

Member No.: 7,629
Region Association: Northern California

What a great thread. It does make me feel pretty inept though when I think about how much you got done in about the same time it took me to make a list of things I need to do to my car.

What paint did you use? Was it waterborne?

--Steve
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 13 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #192

Howdy

What paint did you use? Was it waterborne?

None of the stuff I used was water-based. Everything I used was PPG Omni Brand.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 13 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #193

Howdy

I have been meaning to update this. I ended up taking the car on a trip. It was a 1500 mile round trip to Michigan/ Indiana and back. It was a pretty tight trip time-wise so there wasn't too much time to goof around. Otherwise i would have tried to meet up with some members along the way. The car made the trip just fine with no major problems. The window guide in the door came loose from all the bumpy roads in the north (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) Also when we left on Thursday afternoon, the temperatures were in the upper 80's and 90s and the car was running a little bit on the hot side so I have to go through and make sure everything is sealed tight. I didn't even have to add any oil on the trip either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I'm quite pleased now because I know the car is somewhat reliable. I've put just over 5000 miles on it since last October. Unfortunately I hardly took any pictures.

TUNNEL! It was a fun drive through WV. 80 mph on twisted interstate.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rsrguy3
post May 13 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #194

Member No.: 10,234

Look's SWEEEEET! Now, you gotta cut those tits the heck off, bingo bango....done, no more to do. Just grin and drive.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 15 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #195

Howdy

So I've started to get the slightest hesitation on acceleration so I have been trying to trace that down. I have been leaning towards the trigger points in the distributor but also my distributor has a lot of play and i have an oil leak where the it goes into the block so I took it out. Before I took it out, I had a spare that was in much better shape so I took it apart and cleaned it. I also installed a new seal around the shaft. After I got the old distributor out, I checked parts numbers found out that it was the WRONG one for a 2.0L. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) That could have been part of my problem. Everything went back in smoothly and I am in the process of getting it timed correctly. Hope this works.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 15 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #196

Howdy

Ahh it appears that way before me, the timing was set to 27 degrees at idle based on the position of the distributor body before i took it out. I adjusted it correctly at 3500 rpm so hopefully this will make it perform a little bit better. Time for a test drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 15 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #197

Howdy

The car drives like sooooo much better now. It idles smoother and lower, accelerates nicely, and is just so fun to drive! Hopefully the car will run a little bit cooler now as well. Now onto more smaller things to fix!
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 17 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #198

Howdy

Well the other night I had the most interesting encounter yet. I was driving around at 11:30 at night and I pulled up to a stop sign and out from nowhere, a jeep comes flying up behind me honking its horn. It pulled up next to me and it turns out, it was just another crazed 914 fanatic who use to own a few! The conversation was short but my passenger was definitely confused about the whole incident. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Meanwhile I took the girlfriend out last night and we went to a local state park. When leaving I noticed that something about the car wasn't right. I got a lot of hesitation at part load throttle and the car would die if i tried to let it idle. I thought all hell broke loose and something like my MPS gave out. Turns out the connection to my CHT was just loose and all lives were spared! It drove perfectly fine today.

Here is a shot of the GF with the car.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 18 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #199

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Chicks and 914's are always a great combo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW - Your wiper arms are on the wrong sides (L to R), switch them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Jun 13 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #200

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

excellent, excellent, excellent!!! I really enjoy seeing metal work and painting projects come together in a completed project. I think every 914 owner should read this thread. Very nice job.

Steve Hurt
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:23 PM