Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche social status, 911 owners vs 914 owners
Geezer914
post May 9 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #1

Geezer914

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

How are us 914 owners viewed by the 911 owners? Are we looked down upon as glorified VW owners or accepted as Porsche owners? In other words, you meet a car guy and he owns a 911 and you mention you own a Porsche also. When he asks you what model, and you say a 914, is he going to look down his nose at you or accept you as an equal?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 9 2009, 08:16 AM
Post #2

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Depends on the 911 owner.

I got slammed on the 911 bird boards for having a Corvette. I came here to ask questions about fixing a friend's 914, and was accepted. So I hang out with 914 folks rather than 911 folks.
+Quote Post
9146racing
post May 9 2009, 08:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,031
Region Association: Southern California

aaahhhhhhhh! these people are completly overrated! what is a REAL Porsche? it took years for the 356 crowd to accept the 911 as a Porsche,
there are alot of very cool 911 guys out there that don't even think down those lines, and then there are these guys who think they need to judge fellow Porsche drivers. dont even give them a platform, there are Porsches (914,924,944,928,boxter,cayenne,911 aircooled and watercooled)and weenies who just have no clue!
thats my 2cents (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
smg914
post May 9 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #4

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

Back in 1970 there were discussions about not allowing owners of 914s to join PCA. That idea was squashed but the 914 was not very respected until it gained respect the old fashion way.......it earned it. And a little thanks go's out to the 924. Today I believed the 914 is respected by the majority of 911 owners. In fact, it's amazing how many 911 owners either have a 914 or wish they had one.
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 9 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #5

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

I'd be willing to bet that the 911 owner who bought, drives and enjoys their car simply for what it is - and that's how it should be - would take their first drive in a well sorted 914 and have a blast. People who love cars, love cars.

The type of person who takes 'status' as the main consideration when buying a car, and then immediately looks down their nose at what they consider 'lesser' vehicles, are pretty easy to spot and avoid. They tend to be dullards anyway. Not only will they happily crap on your 914, they'll be eager to show you their better watch, their bigger house, their impressive . . . .

Bottom line is, who care's? People who know, get it. Enjoy what you have and if that fades get something else.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 9 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #6

"Ace" Mechanic

QUOTE(MDG @ May 9 2009, 01:10 PM) *

The type of person who takes 'status' as the main consideration when buying a car, and then immediately looks down their nose at what they consider 'lesser' vehicles, are pretty easy to spot and avoid. They tend to be dullards anyway. Not only will they happily crap on your 914, they'll be eager to show you their better watch, their bigger house, their impressive . . . .

two inch dick?
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 9 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #7

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 9 2009, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ May 9 2009, 01:10 PM) *

They tend to be dullards anyway. Not only will they happily crap on your 914, they'll be eager to show you their better watch, their bigger house, their impressive . . . .

two inch dick?

that's about the size of it . . . . compensating for something.

+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 9 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #8

"Ace" Mechanic

Yep, I figured that was where you were going with that train of thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 9 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #9

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

This topic comes up from time to time, and it always amuses me.

Yeah, there was a very early PCA movement to have 914's banned. It failed. Remember, the "real"/356 Porsche owners had just gotten to realize that the 911 was somehting special. The comes the 912 amd 914/4 914/6 in rapis succession. Drove the old guys nuts!

VW-914! Must be trash, right. Well, we earned our respect by whipping the snot out of all of them in autocrosses. Suddenly, we became acceptable.

I remember flashing my fogs at 911's & 356's for 6 months before I got a flash back. That flash was from a dear departed bud, who opened his home to ALL Porsche derivatives.

I should also say that the second time I got a flash back from someone was a Cincy cop! Stopped me just to let me know that he had one too. Forgot his name.

We teeners have had our hard years early on. But we rule now.

FWIW - I had me 914 for a couple of years before I got my first 911. As much as I love my teener, it really can't compare to an early 911, or my '73 T. I love them both, yet they are so different.

I'd recommend that every 911 owner pony up for a 914.

Subtle high performance. Yeah baby!
Pat
+Quote Post
dcheek
post May 11 2009, 06:00 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,103

Whenever someone asks what kind of Porsche I have and I say a "914", and the stock response is, "Oh, that's the one with the VW engine", with the implication that that's a bad thing. I always fired back that the first real Porsche, with the exception of the body and "frame", was assembled almost entirely with VW parts. After all Porsche designed the VW. And, if you follow the heritage, VW, 356, 911, 912, 914, 964, 993,996,997, etc., they all go back to the little VW Bug. I describe my 911 as a VW Bug on steroids. There are many similarities like heater boxes, adjustment shims for belt tensioning, air cooling, torsion bar suspension, horizontally opposed engine, etc.

The way I look at it I get the best of both worlds. I can enter my VW-Porsche in the special interest class at a VW show or as a Porsche at a Porsche show.

I've never really witnessed 911 owners looking down at the 914. I've had nothing but positive reinforcement throughout the 33 years of ownership of my car. I think anyone who has had negative feedback would have to chalk it up to that person not knowing the history behind the marque.

Dave

+Quote Post
johannes
post May 11 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #11

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

How are us 914 owners viewed by the 911 owners ?

First thing they ask : Is it a six ?
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 11 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #12

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

[

[/quote]
matter a fact it is ...AndI`ll bet I can put the smack down on you in the twisty`s lol..IMO nice cars are nice cars no matter the make or model and i think true car people dont care..Hell i even like a nice truck or bike,Quad ,drag car what ever,And dont forget the lastest thing RATROD`S Pretty much anything with a motor can be cool...........Dont like my car! ..Im ok with that cuzz your ugly..LMAO
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 11 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

I always get the thumbs up from 911 guys. Seems more like old vs. new to me.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 11 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #14

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

[quote name='6freak' date='May 11 2009, 12:57 PM' post='1168152']
[

[/quote]
matter a fact it is ...AndI`ll bet I can put the smack down on you in the twisty`s lol..IMO nice cars are nice cars no matter the make or model and i think true car people dont care..Hell i even like a nice truck or bike,Quad ,drag car what ever,And dont forget the lastest thing RATROD`S Pretty much anything with a motor can be cool...........Dont like my car! ..Im ok with that cuzz your ugly..LMAO
[/quote]
I have to agree with you 100%! I cut my teeth on hypo MoPar, which I dragged every weekend. Constantly beaten by 327 Chevies, which I love. Regualarly beaten by Ford heavies on the street, which I love. Wanted a 240Z, came in in the wrong color. Almost bought a cool TR6 from the Porsche dealer before the 914. Any car that triggers the emotion behind the wheel.

Your "ugly" comment reminds me of a fridge magnet I have from the 70's.

"I may be fat, but you're ugly and I can go on a diet".
Pat
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 12 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #15

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='May 11 2009, 06:16 PM' post='1168302']
[quote name='6freak' date='May 11 2009, 12:57 PM' post='1168152']
[

[/quote]
[/quote]
I have to agree with you 100%! I cut my teeth on hypo MoPar, which I dragged every weekend. Constantly beaten by 327 Chevies, which I love. Regualarly beaten by Ford heavies on the street, which I love. Wanted a 240Z, came in in the wrong color. Almost bought a cool TR6 from the Porsche dealer before the 914. Any car that triggers the emotion behind the wheel.

Your "ugly" comment reminds me of a fridge magnet I have from the 70's.

"I may be fat, but you're ugly and I can go on a diet".
Pat
[/quote]

I work with a guy that has a TR6 and the things just a peach.Maroon in color with mini lites Man what a cool car..but ya real car guys dont care what it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post May 14 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #16

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

I think it's pathetic when anybody wastes their time saying things like "that's not a real Porsche" etc...what a sad, empty life they must have.

Am I the only one like cars for what they are, not what they mean? I've had 4 different Porsche models now and haven't spent 1 second worrying about what others thought of me or what I'm driving. I like the driving experience and would if it had any other emblem on the back:)
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 14 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #17

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 14 2009, 06:06 PM) *

I think it's pathetic when anybody wastes their time saying things like "that's not a real Porsche" etc...what a sad, empty life they must have.

Am I the only one like cars for what they are, not what they mean? I've had 4 different Porsche models now and haven't spent 1 second worrying about what others thought of me or what I'm driving. I like the driving experience and would if it had any other emblem on the back:)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) 100%
The second you start worrying what other people think, you become one of those 'other people'
+Quote Post
eg914
post May 14 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,223

Other people think? I learn something new every day!

I don't think it matters what a car is as long as it resonates with you. You should drive what you like, and not care if others agree. Besides, if they don't agree they are most likely wrong ;-)
+Quote Post
Rav914
post May 14 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #19

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

Enthusiasts are enthusiasts. A lot of 911 owners (Porsche enthusiasts) love 914's. In fact I'd wager they like 930 turbos as much as 40hp beetles.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 15 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

It all breaks down to this:

911 owners who are DRIVERS respect the 914 (its a real Porsche)
911 owners at the wine and cheese mixer who are SNOBS need a smuck to stand on (the 914).

When I was in the local PCA club at events I'd get asked, "so what do you drive?", I'd tell 'em - A 914 - best way to seperate the kind of people I want to hang out with (and I had a polar silver, LSD, special order 993 the whole time)!

914s Rule.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:29 AM