Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paint Code question
Strudelwagon
post May 14 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,633
Region Association: Canada

Me again,
Does anyone know what the process for ordering a "Custom Porsche Colour" was in 1974? Did you just go into a dealer and say "I'll take one in (insert favorite porsche paint colour here)"?
My chassis plate says "98" but the colour is close to L13K (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks SW
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 15 2009, 05:37 AM
Post #2

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

Has it had a colour change? Pull back some carpet from the floor and see if you find traces of something else. And yes, in a nutshell, you ordered a special paint like ordering an option - either from one of their old codes or by paint to sample. Still can too.

And, Porsche/VW had a lot of yellows back then - might be close to Sunflower but something else. Either way if it is L13K it's a great colour.

. . . and you realize our American brothers are reading this going WTF is with the 'u' in color!?! Damn Canadians and their extra vowels!!!
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post May 15 2009, 08:01 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(MDG @ May 15 2009, 04:37 AM) *

Has it had a colour change? Pull back some carpet from the floor and see if you find traces of something else. And yes, in a nutshell, you ordered a special paint like ordering an option - either from one of their old codes or by paint to sample. Still can too.

And, Porsche/VW had a lot of yellows back then - might be close to Sunflower but something else. Either way if it is L13K it's a great colour.

. . . and you realize our American brothers are reading this going WTF is with the 'u' in color!?! Damn Canadians and their extra vowels!!!

Thanks for the insite. It's yellow for sure, even under the undercoating. I would like to paint it yellow again so I guess I could just pick from the '74 and prior yellows or oranges for that matter. Code "98" gives me a pick any non-stock colour and go for it.
tx
SW
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 15 2009, 08:45 AM
Post #4

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Signal Yellow is nice too. It was never a standard choice for the 914 but you can see it on 912s and 911s and some of the 914-6 GTs. Little stronger than L13K (which is a great choice too - my fav of all the 914 yellows)

You could try getting a COA - they may have the info if it was a special order paint. Then again, they may not.
+Quote Post
davep
post May 15 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #5

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244

Very interesting. I have the 3 bodies listed here as all L98 customs:
1649503, 1659501, 1659509
One raspberry, and one india red. I have not heard of a custom yellow before though. I'd try an match the original colour though, this would maintain a significant price premium. Can you post a picture. If it is a light yeloow, then it might be colour 117 (light yellow), darker would be signal yellow 114.

BTW, the body numbers above give me a hint that quite a few custom colours were being done at that time.
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post May 15 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(davep @ May 15 2009, 03:14 PM) *

One raspberry, and one india red. I have not heard of a custom yellow before though. I'd try an match the original colour though, this would maintain a significant price premium. Can you post a picture. If it is a light yeloow, then it might be colour 117 (light yellow), darker would be signal yellow 114.

BTW, the body numbers above give me a hint that quite a few custom colours were being done at that time.

Here's a couple of pics. It has been repainted but only the outer panals. The colour is slightly different in the trunk and front boot.

SW

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post May 15 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(davep @ May 15 2009, 03:14 PM) *

What was the difference between L98 and 98? I'm registered in your VIN data base.
S.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 15 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Very cool! Some bigger pictures of the color would be helpful.

I had never heard of Signal Yellow. It's a pretty cool color! But I don't think yours is Signal Yellow.
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 15 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #9

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Hard to tell from those pics; definitely not Signal - I went to look at an early 911S that was Signal Yellow; I think that's my new fav for early 911's - car needed too much for what he was asking though.
It might just be my monitor but in the pics you posted it almost looks too pale for Sunflower (L13K) too - maybe Chrome Yellow? Though Chrome/Saturn were available colours so I doubt your's would be either with a L98 code.

Signal Yellow
Attached Image

and Rich Johnson's spectacular -6. I think it's Chrome Yellow and if not, still a good excuse to post a shot
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post May 15 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(MDG @ May 15 2009, 06:06 PM) *
Hard to tell from those pics; definitely not Signal - I went to look at an early 911S that was Signal Yellow; I think that's my new fav for early 911's - car needed too much for what he was asking though.
It might just be my monitor but in the pics you posted it almost looks too pale for Sunflower (L13K) too - maybe Chrome Yellow? Though Chrome/Saturn were available colours so I doubt your's would be either with a L98 code.

Signal Yellow

and Rich Johnson's spectacular -6. I think it's Chrome Yellow and if not, still a good excuse to post a shot

I don't think it's signal yellow either but it may end up that colour. It is very pale but not as pale as Champaign yellow. It's like a creamy sunflower yellow. For some reason it won't let me post the big pics but I do have more pics on 914club.com same user name.
Steve
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 16 2009, 05:38 AM
Post #11

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Steve, when you can, try posting some larger pictures; there's a tutorial in the FAQ right at the top of the page or an admin could help.

What Dave said in his post is very true. If you can find out what the original colour was when ordered you might want to consider keeping it. A custom colour will only add to your car's value.

I don't know how to find out other than ordering a COA; it'll cost you around $100 and would be invaluable for resale on a car with custom options. Fair warning though, the records on these are sketchy at best so what you get can be a crap shoot.

m.
+Quote Post
davep
post May 16 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #12

914 Historian

L98 or 98 are essentially the same, just used at different times. It means a non-standard paint colour for the year was used, but the colour chosen was already in the system.
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post May 16 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(davep @ May 16 2009, 05:38 AM) *

L98 or 98 are essentially the same, just used at different times. It means a non-standard paint colour for the year was used, but the colour chosen was already in the system.

Heres' a little bigger one. If you look in the front trunk you can see the unfaded original colour.
SW

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 16 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Some closer up shots of various areas would be helpful. That far away shot is only good for a rough idea.
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 16 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #15

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

the other yellow Dave mentioned; Light Yellow (117)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post May 16 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #16

914 Historian

Very hard to tell with screen shots, but the light yellow 117 seems to be a possible match.
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post May 16 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(MDG @ May 16 2009, 11:58 AM) *

Attached Image

Funny that you picked that colour, I also found this pic online and thought it was close. I cut waxed a portion of the inner fender and will take a picture later in the sunlight.
SW
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post May 16 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Strudelwagon @ May 16 2009, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ May 16 2009, 11:58 AM) *

Attached Image

Funny that you picked that colour, I also found this pic online and thought it was close. I cut waxed a portion of the inner fender and will take a picture later in the sunlight.
SW

Could be Talbot Yellow 106

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post Aug 17 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #19

914 Historian

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1695-1170648745.jpg)

'Sahara Beige Steve 1' meet 'Sahara Beige Steve 2'
+Quote Post
smg914
post Aug 17 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #20

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

Wow, thats interesting. If there is another Sahara Beige 914 out there I would love to hear about it. I'm sure you realize the photo (above) is actually my car. I took that photo and many others right here in my neighborhood.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 12:16 AM