Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Axle replacement options, Failing CV
CliffBraun
post Jun 7 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,933
Region Association: None

I have what I am fairly certain to be a failing CV (clicky noise that is wheel speed based that shows up when accelerating or decelerating with the clutch engaged, also more hysteresis on one axle than the other).

What are my options for replacement? What I see right now is:

Buy used axle: >$100
disadvantage is that it's used, and of unknown quality

Buy new axle: NLA
Well, it's NLA

Buy renegade axle CV set etc: $700
I'm leaning towards this because A used axle is going to cost some decent percentage and there's no guarantee of quality.

Get axle rebuilt, I've heard there are places that will put slightly bigger ball bearings in CV's and slap em back together. no clue on cost, though.

Anyone have experience with any of these options? more accurate prices? A passenger side axle sitting around?

I'm going to use a borrowed axle to verify that this is indeed the problem before I spend any money, but I want to be racing again soon, so I figured I'd research options now.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:34 AM