Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear sway bar bushings. . ., What's the best technique
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 12 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #1

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I bought new drop link bushings from Pelican. The old ones were broken and easy to remove. What is the best technique for installing these in the drop links since they have the shoulders on both sides?? Then the best technique for installing them on the ball ends when the time comes?? I really don't want to break my new bushings. Thanks!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 12 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I just got one side of the open side started and squeezed the rest in. They are pretty pliable when new.

Then to install on the swaybar, I greased the ball and socket and just pressed in with a large set of channel locks.
+Quote Post
rascobo
post Jun 12 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,948

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jun 12 2009, 01:28 PM) *

I bought new drop link bushings from Pelican. The old ones were broken and easy to remove. What is the best technique for installing these in the drop links since they have the shoulders on both sides?? Then the best technique for installing them on the ball ends when the time comes?? I really don't want to break my new bushings. Thanks!!

Soak them in boiling water to soften them and they go in easier. I have used a couple pair of vice-grips, one on each side of the bushing or a vise to gently press it in. Then to mount the links on the ball joints, first apply some suspension lube or any grease available, next, pierce the back side of each bushing with a sharp object of some sort, to allow air to escape, and finally, again use a lg pair of vice-grips or a hammer to force them on the balls. You don't have to worry about breaking the bashings as they're pretty malleable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 15 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #4

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I successfully installed my rear sway bar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Let the tire punishment begin!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:26 AM