Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> my car runs great!, except...
lotus_65
post Jul 8 2009, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

...for the most insane backfire known to man!
('74, 1.8, dual 40's, stock ignition, 2l sshe's, bursch, 3lbs fuel pressure, compression: 1-25, 2-26, 3-55, 4-65 but they hold those numbers)

i finally have the carbs dialed & running good. (some people know this engine and it's car sat for years [decades] under a willow tree on a farm). fresh valve adjustment done last weekend.

last night i was running it and modulating the throttle from 1/4 open to 3/4 open to try and draw out a backfire (this has been happening on decel) but i couldn't get it to explode, so i thought my last adjustment was good.

i had been running somewhat rich, so last night's run was to try and lean it out as much as possible. i got home and shut the car off and i thought i was going to find the muffler it pieces after what sounded to me like a frickin' cannon shot about 5 seconds after shut down.

i've already decided i'm taking it easy on this engine, but i need to resolve this. and i'd rather not have the neighbors think i'm firing shotguns in the garage.

paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 08:22 PM