Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shock Options full race, What are you running?
Heeltoe914
post Jul 17 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,506

Setup is full simi tube car 1775 appox, 10 and 12 LSD Boxster brakes Combo of high speed tracks and AX. Driving.

Hi guys starting stage three of the upgrades to my Spyder racecar. I am planning to add Adjustable front and rear shocks. The front should not be such a big deal the shocks on the car now are made by a Company called Carrera Shocks. The front’s inserts are much shorter than a Carrera or SC size inserted shock. It’s about 10.5 inch long. The rears are short about 12.5 “.
If you notice the rear shocks are inverted, I would like to find something that will mount with the shock bolt and damper location. What makes finding a replacement a challenge is that the stub that is welded onto my rear shocks is not commonly done and would have to be done before the shock is constructed. I would think that there are other ways of getting a inverted shock on a 914 using stock mounting locations.
Advice or suggestion welcomed.

Part two;
Another question I have is if you have a track only racecar that ran as a high output four banger with a very good setup, than converted it to a 3.6 which adds some weight & HP what guess would you make on how much to go up on front and or rear spring rates???
I am thinking 50pds per corner just for the weight but I need to add in the hard acceleration and cornering as well. What has anyone here tried?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 17 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

What are you going to be doing with the car?

Driving on the street, autoxing, track days, hillclimbs or what?

+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 17 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

JRZs are the best you can get for the 914
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Jul 17 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #4

Randel its a full out chop top race car.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 17 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jul 17 2009, 01:25 PM) *

Randel its a full out chop top race car.

OK, road racing then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I still think the best solution is to get your existing shocks revalved to match the weight of your car and venue.

I'm probably to be going with Bilsteins when I make the move from the existing Koni's, but again revalved for the specific weight and venue I'm going to be running.

Although I have yet to check to Koni to see if they can do the same re-valving.

Oh, I'd vote for Ground Control shocks, as the best I've ever ran. They are just so much better than anything else I've driven it's hard to describe.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 17 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #6

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

Randal,
it is the EX-Bill Newlin hot rod with a 3.6L in it instead of the type IV

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 17 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 17 2009, 05:12 PM) *

Randal,
it is the EX-Bill Newlin hot rod with a 3.6L in it instead of the type IV

That car was very nicely done. Always fun to watch and very fast. Watching that car run, with a big 4, was definitely influential on my decision to build one.

Must be crazy with a 3.6 behind the driver.

I still say that re-valving what you have or getting a major brand, like the billies, and doing the same is the most cost effective move.

But if I found $4,000 sitting around I'd probably go straight to Ground Control. Those shocks simply work.

It would be fun to run a shock test between the JRZ and the Ground Controls, but we need one of our engineering geniuses here to help us understand the data.
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Jul 17 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #8

Well Randell you think like I. I have tried to find the Company Carrera or any other company that can re-valve or just rebuild the shocks I have but thay are a sealed unit from what I am finding out. Can't be done. So Carrera out of business and no one to re-valve puts me here asking for help.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 18 2009, 06:27 AM
Post #9

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Well since it is a full out race car get full out race shocks.

I already answered this with my opinion on the other site.

Didn't know ground control made a shock. I thought they used advance design bodies with thier spring adapters/adjusters.
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Jul 19 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #10

Thanks Joe I did some looking tonight on Ebay and this may be a option dod you have a part number and what dose your car weight? If you have a setup that already works I may look into it more.
Thanks for the info.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 19 2009, 05:52 AM
Post #11

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Aluminum large body threaded 7"shock. 147# series is what I use. The pound sign is the valving number rated from 1-10. if the is a - and another number it is a spit valve indicating rebound. Mine are double adjustable. which I hardly fuss with anymore as I think I have them dialed in pretty well. 6 compression and 7 rebound.

+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Jul 19 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 19 2009, 04:52 AM) *

Aluminum large body threaded 7"shock. 147# series is what I use. The pound sign is the valving number rated from 1-10. if the is a - and another number it is a spit valve indicating rebound. Mine are double adjustable. which I hardly fuss with anymore as I think I have them dialed in pretty well. 6 compression and 7 rebound.

So your 7 inch shock with a 10 inch spring??? I have a assortment of springs at 10 " so I will try to match a set that will allow me to still use the collection of springs I have. did you mount them inverted??
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 19 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #13

CUMONIWANNARACEU

yes inverted.
you will need a bracket to mount it to the shock tower but these can be picked up from any circle track shop.
+Quote Post
bam914
post Jul 22 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,378

I have an extra set of Dynamic Suspension canister shocks that I want to sell. You can mount them either way. They are double adjustable. Fully extended they are 18 1/2" .

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Jul 22 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #15

Thanks for the offer can you drop me a PM I think the problem will be the cansiter Fitting into the space I have to work with. PM price and any info you have Or Heeltoe914@aol.com
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 24 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #16

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Dang Blake that is nearly exactly how I mounted the lower eye of my shocks. And I never seen your set up before.
+Quote Post
bam914
post Jul 24 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #17

Those lower mounts were made by Carrera when they were still in business. Direct bolt in units.
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Sep 19 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #18

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jul 17 2009, 10:59 AM) *

Setup is full simi tube car 1775 appox, 10 and 12 LSD Boxster brakes Combo of high speed tracks and AX. Driving.

Hi guys starting stage three of the upgrades to my Spyder racecar. I am planning to add Adjustable front and rear shocks. The front should not be such a big deal the shocks on the car now are made by a Company called Carrera Shocks. The front’s inserts are much shorter than a Carrera or SC size inserted shock. It’s about 10.5 inch long. The rears are short about 12.5 “.
If you notice the rear shocks are inverted, I would like to find something that will mount with the shock bolt and damper location. What makes finding a replacement a challenge is that the stub that is welded onto my rear shocks is not commonly done and would have to be done before the shock is constructed. I would think that there are other ways of getting a inverted shock on a 914 using stock mounting locations.
Advice or suggestion welcomed.

Part two;
Another question I have is if you have a track only racecar that ran as a high output four banger with a very good setup, than converted it to a 3.6 which adds some weight & HP what guess would you make on how much to go up on front and or rear spring rates???
I am thinking 50pds per corner just for the weight but I need to add in the hard acceleration and cornering as well. What has anyone here tried?

Hi Heeltoe914,

I love your car!!

On my 914 V8 street/track toy, I'm running a pair of special-built Koni dual adjustables in the rear and they are working great.

However, I've ONLY found rebound-adjustable Koni Sports shocks for the 911 Boge front struts.

Do you know of any source for a DUAL-ADJUSTABLE cartridge shock for my 911 struts?

Best,
Terry
+Quote Post
bam914
post Sep 19 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #19

Look up a Koni 8611 series. It is a double adjustable strut insert. I am using these on my 914 now. It fit the the 911 strut. You will need to shorten the strut housing and adapt the top of the strut. It has a 14mm thread there.
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Oct 16 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #20

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Blake, do you have a picture of the front assembly set-up? Those 8611 series are fairly cheap.

-Britain
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 01:41 PM