Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Type R build
Brett W
post Dec 21 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

There really ain't a benefit to the hydro trans. I just happened to buy the swap with a hydro tranny. They cable trans can handle similar pressure plates. No need to run massive pressure plates.

My 90 Hatch was a full z6 swapped with the turbo kit I built. made 240 at the wheels. I was going to do a custom ZC/Si gearbox swap but decided to go ahead and step up to the CG transmission from the first gen integra. That is what I am going to use in the race car. Gonna stick with the Built Z6. Adding a bigger turbo and header, some all out custom suspension stuff blah,blah, blah. Even have a new roof panel to weld on to get rid of the sun roof.

As for your car make sure you convert it to OBD 1. There really isn't a good way to control your engine with all the bolt on garbage. However if you want an Apexi AFC let me know the CRX has one that will be sold as soon as I yank it out. You need more compression and more cam to really make that engine work right. Use the ZC or PM7 pistons to get the compression up, then drop in a bigger cam. The ZEX cam is reasonably priced. Add the ZC/Si gear box and you will have a car that is a riot to drive. Of course it will probably get stolen in 20 minutes out in CA.

I have parts if you need anything, let me know.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Dec 21 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #42

914 Type R

Member No.: 1,544

PS, did you pull your fenders for the cookie cutters to fit? I tried a one on the rear of mine and it was nowhere close to working.

If you roll the inner lip, then 15x7 cookie cutters w 205/50-15 fit with no problem. I ended up pulling my fenders with baseball bat only to fit 15x8's with a 225/45-15. They fit but didn't look quite right. I plan to add rear GT flares later to use the 15x8's. The current slightly flared fenders actually look decent. I'll have to take a picture.
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Dec 22 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #43

914 Type R

As promised here are a few detailed pics of the cars current state.

The radiator will be completely shrouded once finished.

+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Dec 22 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #44

914 Type R

One of my home made GT lid. Engine is tall but still fits under the lid - barely.

Attached Image

Regards,

Michael
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Dec 22 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #45

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your setup is looking really good. Did you run your water lines through or under?

Can't wait to see pix with 8's on the rear.

Are those Ground Control threaded sleeves on the rear shocks?
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Dec 27 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #46

914 Type R

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Dec 22 2010, 06:43 PM) *

Your setup is looking really good. Did you run your water lines through or under?

One under, and one through. I would have ran both through but the inlet and outlet are on the same side of the engine.

Can't wait to see pix with 8's on the rear.

Gonna be a while till I get a set of steel GT Flares. WTB

Are those Ground Control threaded sleeves on the rear shocks?

Yes. Run these on my Honda. Good quality.
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Dec 27 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #47

914 Type R

Added GT style harness bars. Made from U bolts.

I can confirm that an autometer 5" monster tach (pedestal mount version) fits nicely in the stock cluster. Had to build up the diameter just a little for a snug fit.

+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Dec 27 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #48

I thought I recognized the Ground Controls. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Had to go out in the garage and dig for mine after I saw what you're using (found 'em!). I had them on the rear of my 87 CRX Si with 200 lb Eibachs. Had been casually wondering if they would adapt to the 914 for easy height adjustment. I guess you've answered my question.

In your travels, have you seen any other successful Honda powered 914's? If so, can you shoot links?

Also, now that your motor's in, would you have had room for 1 (or more) small radiators in the engine bay--maybe to the driver's side?

Keep up the progress.

+Quote Post
stewteral
post Dec 27 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #49

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Fasthonda,

I love your converion and compliments on the good work! It's a great conversion idea and with such a stout engine, I'm wondering about supercharging!
That you really make it fly!

My car is a V8 conversion and I also had to raise the engine cover....it isn't even noticeable!

When I noticed your radiator install, I believe I saw that your plan to vent out the bottom of the car. I wanted to pass on that I tried this for a couple years with my car and even with an airdam 2" from the ground and 2 big fans, the car still ran HOT on-track. Most of V8 conversions exhaust out the fenderwells and while it seems to work, the BEST way is our the top of the hood. Check out what bynbad914 has done in the attached photo. My solution is similar ala racing sports cars. Since the Honda won't be producing the heat of my 383 Chevy, a modest opening should to the job.

Best of luck, keep the photos coming!!

Terry

Attached Image
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Dec 28 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #50

914 Type R

QUOTE(stewteral @ Dec 27 2010, 08:58 PM) *

When I noticed your radiator install, I believe I saw that your plan to vent out the bottom of the car. I wanted to pass on that I tried this for a couple years with my car and even with an airdam 2" from the ground and 2 big fans, the car still ran HOT on-track. Most of V8 conversions exhaust out the fenderwells and while it seems to work, the BEST way is our the top of the hood. Check out what bynbad914 has done in the attached photo. My solution is similar ala racing sports cars. Since the Honda won't be producing the heat of my 383 Chevy, a modest opening should to the job.

Thanks for the advice Terry. From reading the forums I was aware of this, but not until after I finished my original setup. I gonna give this a try and monitor the water temp closely. It won't take too much to angle the radiator forward and vent out the hood if neccesary. Plently of good deals on Ebay for Louvers.

Michael

+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Jan 6 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #51

Progress report? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Jan 7 2011, 01:26 AM
Post #52

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424

QUOTE(fasthonda @ Dec 28 2010, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(stewteral @ Dec 27 2010, 08:58 PM) *

Thanks for the advice Terry. From reading the forums I was aware of this, but not until after I finished my original setup. I gonna give this a try and monitor the water temp closely. It won't take too much to angle the radiator forward and vent out the hood if neccesary. Plently of good deals on Ebay for Louvers.

Michael

Hey Michael,

I certainly understand the issue of making a conversion work: there are so many details for "engineer" one's way through and when done, I find myself thinking: "If I were to do it again, I'd do a lot of things differently!"

A suggestion for bottom exhausting: be sure to install a serious chin spoiler to create a low-pressure area under the car and aid radiator exhausting. For the lower 3" of mine, I used kitchen floor coving: cheap, black flexible plastic and stiff enough to do the job.

In the case of my Chevy, I found another negative in using the low chin spoiler, however: It reduced the airflow under the car that comes UP in the engine bay and cools the engine block. I was surprised to learn that even though the Chev is "Water Cooled", 30 % of cooling still comes from air across the engine. How important to your Honda this is will be your challenge to determine.

A hard lesson I learned in my project that it is all about the complete package working as a whole.

If you forget the bottom-exhausting and want to maintain the Sleeper Image, there is still the choice of venting out the fenderwells.

Regardless of how you exhaust, I had an engineer bud beating me in the head to DUCT the AIRFLOW. He pointed out that ducting improves the efficiency of flowing the airflow and reduces issues of vortices blocking flow.

BTW: If you decide to vent our the top of the hood, I understand Bynbad914 found his louvers on Summitracing.com.

Best of luck,
Terry
+Quote Post
wallys914
post Jan 27 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #53

In life you don't get what you want, you get what you negoia

Member No.: 9,631

Any updates? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Feb 5 2011, 09:34 AM
Post #54

914 Type R

QUOTE(wallys914 @ Jan 27 2011, 07:59 PM) *

Not much progress in the past month. Been focusing on getting my Civic ready road Road Atlanta March 5,6 with the BMWCCA and getting my spare 914 chassis ready for sale (wifes request).

Things I have completed:

1) Inlet ducting for the radiator
2) Support bracket for the exhaust system
3) Complete Wiring (painless 8 circuit kit)
4) Custom throttle cable

Things in Progress:

1) Vehicle Speed sensor (VSS) - Working on buidling a black box circuit to simulate the VSS signal for the ECU. (needed for VTEC to engage)

2) Just ordered a Corbeau Clubman seat that will need to be installed. Next weekends project.

3) Redo the soft fuel line install. Switching over to 30R9. Still trying to figure out the best orientation for the tank nipples to keep the excess line from kinking.

I should be able to make the first attemp at firing it up in about 2 weeks.

I still need to find a good used set of 225/45-15 toyo's for my 15x7,8 Fuchs. Anxiuous to get those on the car.

Everyone who has seen the car comments on how nice red valve cover looks below the black GT engine lid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Michael
+Quote Post
post Feb 12 2011, 08:40 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

Congrats on a great looking transplant. I'm sure it will haul A_ _!
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 12 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #56

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Best of luck, keep the photos coming!!

Terry

Attached Image
[/quote]

I now have some personal experience with the louvers shown in the pic.
At 150 bucks per section, I would really expect more quality in the fit & finish.
In a word, they are crap. Sure, they're going on a racecar but good God!

The louver cut-outs are all over the map. The gell coat is gnarly. I would figure
10-12 hours (each section) to get them looking up to snuff......hi build pimer & a selection of sanding tools for a die grinder would be useful.
As pictured, they look pretty good....just don't get too close.
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Feb 12 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #57

914 Type R

Finished the seat install today. Ended up using with an old Momo T frame instead of the Corbeau Clubman. I couldn't get the Corbeau to fit to my liking. Even though the Momo is a bottom mount, I got it to sit pretty low by using a thinner style slider with custom mounts.

I believe a side mounted seat with Brackets bolted directy to the floor is the best way to achieve the perfect positioning, but the momo is close enough for now.

Eventually I'll install a Kirkey Road race seat. Have one in my Civic and love it.

Whipped out a muffler bracket. Simple and should be good enough as the exhaust is quite rigid without it.

Also reduced the rear spring rate to 200# from 250#. Found a good deal on ebay and I think the lower rate is a better starting point from my research. Only takes about 30 minutes to change out rear springs which can easily be done at the track.

+Quote Post
Hontec
post Feb 13 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #58

I see things.....

Member No.: 12,210
Region Association: Europe

Just wanted to say that I love to see the F20 in there!!!! Good job!!

I have 19 years experience in building Honda race/rally cars and when I bought my 914 I was in heavy doubt about which way to go engine wise.

I still am in fact... my first choice was to go K20/K24 supercharged and after seeing your intake elbow routed through the cabin, that would be my choice since it has the throttle body opposite the S2k one. Also I was curious about the height issue with these engines...you demonstrated it fit's nicely!!

The other one issue is how the 914 tranny will hold up, and how the gearing ends up with the 9k rpm engineband...but I guess you will be able to tell in a while (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My choice now is a Subaru EJ20 turbo with a custom Elite Transmissions sequential 6-speed.....very low cg

But after seeing your car...the K-itch is back..........

Keep us updated and please include lot's of pictures!!!

Thanks,

Randall

+Quote Post
Brett W
post Feb 14 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

The 901 will not do the Honda engine justice. The gearing sucks in the 901. That is what makes the Suby swap so much better, you get the tranny designed for the engine.
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Feb 14 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #60

914 Type R

QUOTE(Hontec @ Feb 13 2011, 06:34 AM) *

Just wanted to say that I love to see the F20 in there!!!! Good job!!

I have 19 years experience in building Honda race/rally cars and when I bought my 914 I was in heavy doubt about which way to go engine wise.

I still am in fact... my first choice was to go K20/K24 supercharged and after seeing your intake elbow routed through the cabin, that would be my choice since it has the throttle body opposite the S2k one. Also I was curious about the height issue with these engines...you demonstrated it fit's nicely!!

The other one issue is how the 914 tranny will hold up, and how the gearing ends up with the 9k rpm engineband...but I guess you will be able to tell in a while (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My choice now is a Subaru EJ20 turbo with a custom Elite Transmissions sequential 6-speed.....very low cg

But after seeing your car...the K-itch is back..........

Keep us updated and please include lot's of pictures!!!

Thanks,

Randall

Randall,

Thanks for the compliment. Coming from a guy of your talent is encouraging. I love following your build thread BTW. Amazing work. Were those Hondas getting caged in your shop?

I'm a Honda guy, so the Subie was never an option for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

As for the 901 tranny. I haven't done any calculations to compare with the Stock S2K gearing, but I need to do that. I'll test it out first and go from there. I think I'm stuck with the 901 final drive ratio, but changing the gears sets is not a problem for me. As for durability, I have collected 6 spare trannies over the past couple of years for backups. All part of the fun.

Getting it running and then keeping it cool are my next hurdles.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks

Regards,

Michael
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:35 AM