Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Acquired a 914-Need Your Help... She's Dead, Sitting for 20+years...Help me bring life with little $$
tabs914
post Jul 29 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Advertise Your Drive...

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,456
Region Association: None

Update on 10/11/09: I ditched the old motor with a new one. So all the posts to page 4 I believe are for the old motor. I do have some issues that relate to the new motor on Page 5.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks.

OK... first thing the fuel system and harness were removed because the previous owner wanted to convert it to a duel carb set-up. So I put the FI back in. I bought a fresh battery, oil, filters and replaced the all the fuel lines plus vacuum lines.

Now I want to try to start the darn thing and all I get is a "click" noise from the starter... so i jack the left side leaving the right side on the ground and put it in 5th gear. I turn the tire front the back a few times in either direction. I try to start it agian... "click". So I do the opposite side, but this time on the right i can't move the tire at all... well it will move 2-3", but thats it. Brakes are free btw. I have seen on the www that "Miricle Oil" down the plug holes will free up the pistons if they are siezed. I just dont understand that I can rotate one side and not the other. Thanks for your help... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Update: Found Water in the Oil - Lots! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) What to do? Rebuild? Lube the hell out of it? More Mystery oil? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mojorisen914
post Jul 29 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #2

Visit your local strip club

Member No.: 6,403
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
DonnyT
post Jul 29 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,635
Region Association: Southern California

if you can get a socket and breaker bar onto the flywheel you can turn th engine by hand to make sure it is not seized. the marvel mystery oil is also a good idea if it's been stting a long while.
is the clicking a single "click" or a rattling fast "click, click, click..........."?
if it is a single it could be not getting enough power. If it's keeps clicking I would say it could be the starter solenoid.
Try cleaning all the electrical connections real good.
Also if it's the solenoid acting up, sometimes if you have somebody turn the key until it clicks, and at the same time take a hammer under the car and whack the starter it will jar the solenoid enought to get it to engage the flywheel and will start cranking over.

don't know about the question re: why one wheel will turn and the other will not.

Good luck.
Don
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Jul 29 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #4

Advertise Your Drive...

The car came with an extra starter... i replaced is with the extra one and it does the same thing. one "click" keep in mind "New Battery" maybe the Mystery Oil would be a good place to start? Thanks for the input... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 29 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(tabs914 @ Jul 29 2009, 08:29 AM) *

The car came with an extra starter... i replaced is with the extra one and it does the same thing. one "click" keep in mind "New Battery" maybe the Mystery Oil would be a good place to start? Thanks for the input... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Cleaning and re-attaching the ground is always a good idea.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 29 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #6

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Rear wheel bearings may require replacement front sitting in one spot. Had the same issue once...
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Jul 29 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #7

Advertise Your Drive...

I can tell the resistance is internal not from the wheel area. Does anyone know why I can move the left side and not the right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post Jul 29 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #8

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432

Check your grounds. The 914 is notorious for letting corrosion get into the ground connections.

Eric
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jul 29 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #9

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ok, on the subject of rotating the left side, but not the right...

Sorry, but can you clarify a few things.
1. Does the right wheel turn (opposite direction) when the rear is jacked up, the car is in gear and the left wheel is turned by hand?
2. When you say it turns 2-3", does it turn freely then hit a stop, or is it rubbing/tough to turn at all.
3. Is there oil in the transmission?

If it turns freely for 3" then stops, you have a differential or similar gearbox problem (most likely) although I have seen it where a CV joint was binding and keeping the side from turning.

Have you tried to push in on the clutch pedal when you get the "click"? Just seeing if possibly the transmission is bound.

Let's dive deeper into this issue as it can only be so many possible issues for the right side bind.
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Jul 29 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,506

Your getting allot of great tips put your trucks on and dive in deeper.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 29 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #11

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

It is not unusual for a new battery to not have a Full Charge
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 29 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #12

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Grounds.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 29 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #13

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Check grounds . Try a different (known good) battery. 1 click (for me) has always been the sign of a dead battery.

When you had the tire up in the air and the car in 5th, were you able to turn the engine a complete revolution by hand? Or just a little either way (which could just be taking up driveline slack until it bound.)

Zach
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #14

Advertise Your Drive...

Thank you all... I havent tried both wheels off the ground to see if i can rotate the right with the left free. When I get home I will remove the grounds and make sure I rough-up the connections so they are fresh metal to metal. I tried jumping from my Expedition with the same "click"...

As far as the play on the right side... the bind seems like its intermal (Motor/Tranny?) it moves free to a point (2-3") and just stops. If I really crank on it, the motor shakes. If the car is in neutral it will move freely.

When I rotate the tire on the left with the right down it will go through complete strokes in 5th gear forward or backward and i can feel the resistance of the strokes - no problem.

Thank You...
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 29 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #15

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Don't miss the ground strap just above the transmission (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Jul 29 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,611

I've got something that stumped me for a bit. The brand new wheels I bought that supposedly made to fit a narrow body 914 came with new lugs. Turns out that the front lugs were great, the back ones were too long I had just adjusted the shift linkage and thought I had screwed it up. Nope...Lug bolts hit the rotor shiels and only allowed about 10-15 degrees of rotation on the wheel.

I have also had a brand new dead battery. A battery that wouldn't jump. And a loose ground strap before. All 3 caused the 1 click on the starter problem.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Jul 29 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #17

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

Check and clean that tranny ground and also make sure that new battery really is fully charged. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Jul 29 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #18

Advertise Your Drive...

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Jul 29 2009, 12:30 PM) *

I've got something that stumped me for a bit. The brand new wheels I bought that supposedly made to fit a narrow body 914 came with new lugs. Turns out that the front lugs were great, the back ones were too long I had just adjusted the shift linkage and thought I had screwed it up. Nope...Lug bolts hit the rotor shiels and only allowed about 10-15 degrees of rotation on the wheel.

I have also had a brand new dead battery. A battery that wouldn't jump. And a loose ground strap before. All 3 caused the 1 click on the starter problem.

Good luck.

It will turn in neutral... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jul 29 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #19

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376

Ok, good info, so that pretty much starts the problem hunt at the differential.

When it turns in neutral, does the other side turn in an opposite direction (if both wheels are off the ground? If so, the spider gears are probably good and we then move down the path.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 29 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(tabs914 @ Jul 29 2009, 09:44 AM) *

OK... first thing the fuel system and harness were removed because the previous owner wanted to convert it to a duel carb set-up. So I put the FI back in. I bought a fresh battery, oil, filters and replaced the all the fuel lines plus vacuum lines.

Now I want to try to start the darn thing and all I get is a "click" noise from the starter... so i jack the left side leaving the right side on the ground and put it in 5th gear. I turn the tire front the back a few times in either direction. I try to start it agian... "click". So I do the opposite side, but this time on the right i can't move the tire at all... well it will move 2-3", but thats it. Brakes are free btw. I have seen on the www that "Miricle Oil" down the plug holes will free up the pistons if they are siezed. I just dont understand that I can rotate one side and not the other. Thanks for your help... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Does the motor turn over if you try to push start it - sounds siezed to me.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:54 AM