Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Getting the alt. to work, Switch to carbs wiring disaster
type11969
post Mar 7 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

My 71 914 has been switched to carbs, dual 34 icts. Anyway, the PO that performed the switch hacked up the wiring to make it work. When I got the car, the alternator had no belt on it, so I've decided that having a working charging system would be nice. So the problem is that there is a big ass red wire coming up from the alternator that is cut, and there is no wire near by that looks like it should join to it. The other three wires run up to the realy board. According to a wiring diagram, that big red wire runs to the starter, and connects to the same terminal as the wire running directly from the battery. Is this correct?

Obviously the PO cut and removed this wire for a reason (there is no lead off of the stater for this wire to connect to anymore), can anything bad happen if I reconnect the wire, put on a belt, and start the car up other than I find out that I need to replace the alternator? I don't really want to start a fire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:23 PM