Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some people have attitudes
Joe Bob
post Aug 3 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #21

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

e had full access the whole day at our event. Visitors and particiapnts and full unfettered exit and re enter priveleges.

Of course our parking, tech and set up was OUTSIDE the track.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 3 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #22

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

It could be...

We have a course here in Northern California that has bunches of rules that dictate to the club what conduct is allowed. No engine noise before 10am (at a freakin' airport!) Gate guarded and closed (Homeland Security thing I suppose). Another course along the Central Coastal area close to Monterey allows absolutely no car movement if a plane is fired up. Coast Guard Hanger is 100 yards off course. I suspect it would be close to impossible for anyone to be injured or to interfere with the operation of those Coast Guard planes but hey! It is their house and we asked to play in their yard. It is only common courtesy to follow their rules.

My guess is it was a safety issue. Bottom line is the courses are hard to get and getting harder. The insurance carriers, lot owners, clubs all have rules regarding conduct.

My guess is that this wasn't really an attitude thing as much as a safety issue.

FWIW...
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Aug 3 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #23

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 3 2009, 02:23 PM) *

My guess is it was a safety issue. Bottom line is the courses are hard to get and getting harder. The insurance carriers, lot owners, clubs all have rules regarding conduct.

My guess is that this wasn't really an attitude thing as much as a safety issue.

Our club runs events at some places that due to their location result in a lot of curious onlookers who have no idea what an Autocross is. We have no problem with spectators, but does it puts a strain on the staff as you have to deal with making sure the extra people have signed the insurance waver, handling those who just drive off the street and right up to the start line (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) and those people who find an alternate way onto the site and just start driving near or even on the course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Sometimes we may also close the entrance to vehicle traffic once the event has started if we don’t want to devote someone to watch the gate, answer questions, etc. Many people don’t understand that sites are generally rented and the club is responsible for whatever happens during the event. So you have insurance issues you have to deal with as well as you don’t want anything weird to happen at the site and screw up your relationship with the site owner/manager.
+Quote Post
mskala
post Aug 3 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #24

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

Being in the same place that day, I tend to see this as not being totally one side's fault or the other. People always can come and go at any time, but for some reason outside of our club, sometime after noon they closed the real entrance. Of course, nobody inside knew that.

Our regions make no effort (don't get me started) to keep the radios and flags in the hands of, well, old hands. So we have clueless newbies who probably don't even call in re-runs now have no idea what to do with unexpected visitor.

But the folks running the show have held cars for police or the occasional tank to cross without being pissed, and this was nothing special. I wasn't close enough, but I believe people were upset about driving over wires or something instead of going where they were pointing.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 3 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #25

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 3 2009, 05:49 PM) *

Being in the same place that day, I tend to see this as not being totally one side's fault or the other. People always can come and go at any time, but for some reason outside of our club, sometime after noon they closed the real entrance. Of course, nobody inside knew that.

Our regions make no effort (don't get me started) to keep the radios and flags in the hands of, well, old hands. So we have clueless newbies who probably don't even call in re-runs now have no idea what to do with unexpected visitor.

But the folks running the show have held cars for police or the occasional tank to cross without being pissed, and this was nothing special. I wasn't close enough, but I believe people were upset about driving over wires or something instead of going where they were pointing.

Well...if you received the same greeting that I did, you would have the same issue.
I asked permission and was told to f-off.
That does not work with me.
As far as driving over the wires..I had about 8 people waving their arms and yelling at me...no specific direction.
I did not drive through the lights, the timing was fine...oh, I did run over a wire...big deal, it was fine.
There was no need to have all those people loose it and start swearing at me, my son and his GF... If you were in the car, you would have been just as embarassed to have brought someone you know to the event...it was not cool.

Mark, people there are to uptight..just a fact. You and a small list are excluded...

It just reminded me of how unwelcome I feel in that crowd..

A simple thing...stop the course for what....60 seconds....no drama, no issue...
Sig saw me coming and kept letting cars go...

Rich
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 07:41 PM