Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> count down to driving, nothing is working HELP
r_towle
post Aug 6 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #41

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

its within an hour...he just needs to be methodical.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Aug 6 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #42

mechanical moron

Member No.: 5,202
Region Association: None

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 6 2009, 05:12 PM) *

I am watching this with high hopes. For some reason I really want your car running this weekend.

every thing seems to be in place. no amount of adjusting seems to have any effect on the #2 barrlel. hell i even pulled the spark plug wire off to move it out of the way and nothing happened, i cannot figure...wait, hold on, why would'nt the engine stumble when i remove the #2 cyl spark plug wire, it stumbles for 1,3 4. am i that dumb that all this is is as bad wire?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 6 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #43

Custom Member

firing order correct? 1432 clockwise.

Dont be mad...we have all done it.

Rich
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Aug 6 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #44

mechanical moron

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2009, 05:58 PM) *

firing order correct? 1432 clockwise.

Dont be mad...we have all done it.

Rich

i not mad ,i'm a moron, firing order is correct, pulled the wires off 10 times. 1, 3, 4, all miss 2 just sits there. i assume this would give me a low reading in that barrel, if the gas wasn't exploding?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 6 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #45

Custom Member

swap one and two.

Pull the wire off and unscrew the end of the wire that goes to the plug.
re-screw it into the wire the right way...

The plastic piece that fits on the plug actually screws into the wire so the middle screw touches the metal wire in the middle...be gentle and you can fix it.

Rich
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Aug 6 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #46

mechanical moron

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2009, 06:14 PM) *

swap one and two.

The plastic piece that fits on the plug actually screws into the wire so the middle screw touches the metal wire in the middle...be gentle and you can fix it.

Rich

thanks rich, do it in the morning. for now it's a cold beer , lay in the pool, watch the yankees
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 6 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #47

Custom Member

QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 6 2009, 10:35 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2009, 06:14 PM) *

swap one and two.

Rich

thanks rich, do it in the morning. for now it's a cold beer , lay in the pool, watch the yankees

Ouch....I changed the channel.

Rich
+Quote Post
jmill
post Aug 6 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #48

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The cylinder not firing wouldn't mess up the flow. The carb flows on the intake stroke and it fires on the compression stroke. Again, it sounds like a plugged idle jet. If you have no fuel it won't fire. If its plugged no matter how much you tweak the mixture needle nothing will change. If it's plugged your flow will be low on that barrel. If it walks like a duck....

Check that you have spark on that plug. If it does it's a plugged jet.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 6 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #49

Custom Member

QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 6 2009, 11:51 PM) *

The cylinder not firing wouldn't mess up the flow. The carb flows on the intake stroke and it fires on the compression stroke.

Not to be rude, but have you ever heard of overlap on a camshaft and its purpose in the process. No spark would absolutely change the flow of a port on one cylinder.

Backfiring...well there is raw fuel in the exhaust...that might contribute to it.

Rich
+Quote Post
ME733
post Aug 6 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Has anyone mentioned..(again)...that the butterfly,(throtle plate)s, are probably NOT EQUAL.....causing an uneven air flow reading at Idle....and all this confusing multiplicity of adjustments with idle air, idle fuel,etc.etc.etc.etc.....and if there is an ignition problem....it WILL affect airflow readings. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
jmill
post Aug 6 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #51

Green Hornet

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2009, 11:03 PM) *

The cylinder not firing wouldn't mess up the flow. The carb flows on the intake stroke and it fires on the compression stroke.

Not to be rude, but have you ever heard of overlap on a camshaft and its purpose in the process. No spark would absolutely change the flow of a port on one cylinder.

Backfiring...well there is raw fuel in the exhaust...that might contribute to it.

Rich

As a matter of fact I have. Not to be rude. (LOL). I think your giving it too much credit at idle. Does he have a carb cam with lots of overlap? Is he still running the FI cam? Where did you read backfiring with raw fuel coming out the exhaust?

Lets wait until he tells us if he has spark on the cylinder. If he does or doesn't will settle the matter.

On a side note we found he was messing with the air bypass not the idle mixture screw. Did he blow out the air bypass and not the idle jet? If so I would suggest blowing out the idle jet this time and see what happens.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Aug 6 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #52

Green Hornet

QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 6 2009, 11:28 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Has anyone mentioned..(again)...that the butterfly,(throtle plate)s, are probably NOT EQUAL.....causing an uneven air flow reading at Idle....and all this confusing multiplicity of adjustments with idle air, idle fuel,etc.etc.etc.etc.....and if there is an ignition problem....it WILL affect airflow readings. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

As I mentioned earlier a bent shaft would cause one high and 3 low not one low and 3 high. The bent shaft would keep one butterly open when the other 3 bottomed out.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 6 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #53

Custom Member

QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 7 2009, 12:42 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2009, 11:03 PM) *

Rich

As a matter of fact I have. Not to be rude. (LOL). I think your giving it too much credit at idle. Does he have a carb cam with lots of overlap? Is he still running the FI cam? Where did you read backfiring with raw fuel coming out the exhaust?

Lets wait until he tells us if he has spark on the cylinder. If he does or doesn't will settle the matter.

On a side note we found he was messing with the air bypass not the idle mixture screw. Did he blow out the air bypass and not the idle jet? If so I would suggest blowing out the idle jet this time and see what happens.

he is reading a 5 on three cylinders and a 3 on one.
that is a very small difference that the lack of a spark would certainly cause.

No spark, no explosion, less draw and less vacuum during the intake stroke (by the overlap of the exhaust port)

Spitting a sputtering could easily be raw fuel in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"We" did not figure out which screws he was adjusting...

Rich

Rich
+Quote Post
jmill
post Aug 7 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #54

Green Hornet

Nice catch on the air bypass screws Rich! You da man! Ok, lets get back to helping Nycchef.

What I read was that you have low flow on one barrel with no change after pulling a plug wire and adjusting the mixture screw. I guess I'm missing the spitting, sputtering and backfiring part. After working with the IDF for years I always jump to the carb when an engine experiences problems that mimic known carb issues. That's my mistake. It's just when I adjust a mixture screw and pull a plug wire and there is no change it screams plugged idle jet to me. I glaze over the the simple fact it might be a fouled plug or bad wire. It could very well be an ignition issue.

+Quote Post
ME733
post Aug 7 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #55

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Well we are helping Nycchef..( and probably a lot more people).....1) in YOUR experience ....the butterfly shaft bends..etc....WHAT is more likely to bend...1) the STEEL BUTTER-FLY SHAFT...OR 2) the BRONZE BUTTERFLY....and when it bends, is it ALWAYS BENT, whereby MORE AIRFLOW occurs in that carburator bore, cylinder???......and ....misalignment can also occur when the butterfly shaft BEARINGS ,(take a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) ) through age, useage,and accumulation of crud.....Take a hard look at the photograph of the carburator, NYCCHEF showed us....looks a little crusty to me with , a redish tone,from fuel, and a generall appearance of long term useage.....and note the rubber fuel line has NO clamp. ...AND....an AIR LEAK caused by a carburator base gasket,s... :stromberg... can and will contribute to these problem,s...remove and rebuild....EVEN IF ITS an ignition problem....then this engine really could run at it,s potential. :THE END... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .
+Quote Post
ME733
post Aug 7 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #56

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ...and ...look at the AIR filter.(looks filthy to me)..and the carb hold down NUTS...whats missing?... the END again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Aug 7 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #57

mechanical moron

QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 7 2009, 08:44 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ...and ...look at the AIR filter.(looks filthy to me)..and the carb hold down NUTS...whats missing?... the END again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

hey guys just to clarify. i have blown out and cleaned everything on the carbs, the air filters are brand new (came with the linkage) and those aren't pics of my carbs. picking up new wires tomorrow. sunday i'll put em in and we'll see. i am truly moved by the amount of time and patience everyone has displayed. as always dinner is free at my restaraunt fior 914 victims (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 7 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #58

Custom Member

I want to see you in CT....sounds like you are gonna bail out...

Rich
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Aug 7 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #59

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hey, I might have a little spare time next week in which I can come over. Depending on family wellness (the little one is sick).

I'll give you a call to see what works.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Aug 7 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #60

Green Hornet

QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 7 2009, 11:34 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Well we are helping Nycchef..( and probably a lot more people).....1) in YOUR experience ....the butterfly shaft bends..etc....WHAT is more likely to bend...1) the STEEL BUTTER-FLY SHAFT...OR 2) the BRONZE BUTTERFLY....and when it bends, is it ALWAYS BENT, whereby MORE AIRFLOW occurs in that carburator bore, cylinder???......and ....misalignment can also occur when the butterfly shaft BEARINGS ,(take a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) ) through age, useage,and accumulation of crud.....

I've seen bent shafts, bent butterflies and worn out bearings that screw up the shaft. In all the cases I've seen it results in one or both bores flowing more. Let me put it another way. When the butterfly works as designed it closes tight. You can't get it closed any tighter. If it's not perfect through misalignment or bending or wear it won't close tight. This results in more flow.

To bend a butterfly you need to jam something into it. Like a screwdriver. Usually the guy knows he bent it when he does that. You can bend a shaft by having it froze up. A guy then sprays the snot out of it with WD40 and muscles it back and forth to free it up. He puts a twist in the shaft and doesn't know it.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 10:06 AM