Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gas Prices
STL914
post Mar 8 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just filled up my SUV yesterday, in the St. Louis area, with Reg, at $1.54 per gallon. Highest I've seen here has been around $1.68. Strange how it shoots up .12 to .20 a gallon in a matter of hours, but drops only .01/.02 per day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 8 2004, 12:00 PM
Post #42

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Oh by the way Rigzone.com shows they are selling gas for 1.14 gal. So who is making the extra profit??
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Mar 8 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #43

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You guys on the left coast are getting fucked. Call up ole Ah..nold and ask the dumb shit why you guys are getting screwed and why the price is $1.57 for regular and 1.87 for high test in Ohio? You folks need to get on their ass. Gas costs no more for you to get it...than us. Sounds like political TAX greed in Calif.
+Quote Post
mikester
post Mar 8 2004, 12:08 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 837

QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 8 2004, 12:59 AM)
Quit bitchin' Ya'll....we pay $6.48 (79 pence per litre at current EX rate)  :angry: .....it is 95 octane so I guess we should be thankful for that

I think the EU method for determining octane is different from ours. So your 95 is probably the same as our 91, at least that is how it was in the 70's. For example - my sticker in my 914 says 91 but here in the states our pump octane is calculated differently and thus it is really 87 that my car is asking for.

So you're paying more for the same 91 we are paying too much for. We're all getting screwed. I spent $1.75 to get to work today on the bus and read a book and DIDN'T sit in traffic for a minute.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Mar 8 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #45

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mikester @ Mar 8 2004, 10:08 AM)
I spent $175 to get to work today on the bus and read a book and DIDN'T sit in traffic for a minute.

I wish I could read a book while going to work too, but if I had to pay $175 for a one way bus ride I think I'd choose to keep driving my 10 miles! That would add up real fast! $175 x 2 ways x 260 days/year = $91,000! Lots of 914's in that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mike
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Mar 8 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #46

Donkey Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,531

In CA we VOTED YES for higher taxes!!

When asked "would you like bigger and better roads?" we sold our souls to the devil or whatever political party reigned in CA at the time. Now it's time to pay the fiddler.
+Quote Post
mikester
post Mar 8 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 8 2004, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE(mikester @ Mar 8 2004, 10:08 AM)
I spent $175 to get to work today on the bus and read a book and DIDN'T sit in traffic for a minute.

I wish I could read a book while going to work too, but if I had to pay $175 for a one way bus ride I think I'd choose to keep driving my 10 miles! That would add up real fast! $175 x 2 ways x 260 days/year = $91,000! Lots of 914's in that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mike

smart ass...

Edited. I meant $1.75...

The reason that I have been hearing/reading that CA prices are going up so high is because on 1/1/04 it was now required that the cheaper MTBE additive be removed in favor of the cleaner and more expensive Ethanol additive. Apparently with ethanol it is harder to refine...yadda yadda yadda. It's all crap, the cost of living is different hear than in the midwest. It's not like we pay the same as someone in ohio for homes and such and that GAS is the only thing we're getting the shaft on comparably. But, it's still all crap so I ride the bus. Even if the price of a gallon of gas vs the cost of a one way trip on the bus were the same - I'd still take the bus, it's just easier and I'm sticking it to the oil man.
+Quote Post
Downunderman
post Mar 8 2004, 01:05 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

96c/litre (US 1.26) for 96 octane. How many litres in a US gal??
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 8 2004, 01:11 PM
Post #49

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 7 2004, 11:25 PM)
what car are you driving that requires "premium" ?

i always put premium (91) in my little baby,
otherwise i get a ugly "knock" under load (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 8 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #50

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Howard R @ Mar 8 2004, 11:05 AM)
96c/litre (US 1.26) for 96 octane. How many litres in a US gal??

3.something ...
don't have the exact number handy, around 3.5 i think.

Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Mar 8 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #51

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was CCed on an e-mail chain letter that basically said, that if you pick one day out of the week not to buy gas it would help Stick to the Man! So, I suggested " F the Man Fridays". If people boycotted the pumps one day a week then maybe prices would come down. I don't know, it is just an idea.
I am all for taking the bus, riding my bicycle, and carpooling. Anything to not sit in traffic and Stick it to the Oil Man!
Spring is coming and so is $3.00+ a gallon.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Nate
+Quote Post
mikester
post Mar 8 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #52

On a stock engine you shouldn't hear any knock under load with 87. If you are, I'd investigate your timing.
+Quote Post
jarbuthnot
post Mar 8 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #53

Senior Woman Driver

Member No.: 1,065

$1.77 for regular in far, eastern Maine. $1.87 for super, which is what I was told I should put in my 914. From what I'm reading, I shouldn't have to?

For a list of gas prices near you, try www.gasprices.com
(sorry, haven't figured out how to put a link in).
+Quote Post
mikester
post Mar 8 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(jarbuthnot @ Mar 8 2004, 11:51 AM)
$1.77 for regular in far, eastern Maine. $1.87 for super, which is what I was told I should put in my 914. From what I'm reading, I shouldn't have to?

For a list of gas prices near you, try www.gasprices.com
(sorry, haven't figured out how to put a link in).

The octane rating is ROZ/RON where as pump octane is calculated as (R+M)/2. The label inside my porsche shows the method used; with a 91 as the number. The factory sticker is for RON only where as pump octane is an average of RON and MON ((R+M)/2). If your engine is not stock and of higher compression or not properly cooled and running warm then more octane may be required but a stock engine (4 cylinder, I don't have a six so I don't know sixes) with proper cooling shouldn't require any higher than 87 octane rating. If you've got the european domed pistons, your compression ratio is higher, thus it may require higher octane to reduce preignition. If you're positive about the timing and you do have a higher compression ratio than stock - you may experience preignition with "regular" and thus need a higher octane but bearing in mind the price of gas I would check out the mid grade.

Octane does not prevent the fuel from burning per say, it prevents uncontrolled burning. With proper compression, cooling and timing you won't have to waste money on higher octane to get the proper performance from your engine. OCtane also isn't "magic" stuff that makes cars faster. I hate the way the market gas...
+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 988

regular-1.65 west of boston

93- 1.85

-I seem to remeber that OPEC decided to reduce production several months ago, and to keep production low through the spring. It seems also that the supply/demand thing is highly dependent on how cold a winter we all have because a lot of oil-heating is pre-purchased in the fall... but if we have a really cold winter then the paid for supplies run out and the prices go up up up....

-doesn't seem like I have much to complain about though after seeing the prices that most of you are paying
+Quote Post
Kevin@ojai.net
post Mar 8 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 899

QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 8 2004, 06:00 AM)
$12.00 for beer (hops and water),

Naa, Right now the price of beer (malted barley, hops, water, yeast) is cheaper then the price of gas. I figure probably around $2.00 +/- 0.50 /gal depending on the recipe...

-Kevin
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Mar 8 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #57

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

Boycotting the pumps for a day won't do a thing if you continue to drive your car to work, get groceries, soccer practice and all that other stuff. The Gas stations couldn't care less what day you go to fill up. As long as you keep burning it, you'll have to keep buying more.

Now, boycotting the use a fuel in general, like taking a bus / riding a bike / carpooling to work, would do good since that would decrease the amount of gas you use, thus you buy less the next time you stop at the pump, whatever day that may be.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 8 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #58

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

It's almost 4 liters to a US gallon (4.5 to an Imperial gal)

The price of beef on the hoof is running $0.06 to $0.07 per lbs. To process, cut and wrap costs about $1 per lbs. Think how much markup is happening when your in the store next time and your looking at a steak for $5.49 Lbs.

My neibour who cuts the hay at my farm keeps me apprised of the prices. He has 300 head of grain and grass feed beef sitting that he can't sell. Calfing season is just around the corner which means he will have almost 500 head by summer. Talk about a guy with his back against the wall. He usually buys my hay, but I told him to forget it till things turn around.

The mad cow is spread thru processed feed made from waste animal parts which is usually only found in large feed lot opperations. So if you never feed your cows any of that processed feed you don't have anything to worry about.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 8 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #59

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

If regular hits $3/gallon my next daily driver is going to be a VW TDI.
+Quote Post
need4speed
post Mar 8 2004, 03:25 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 564

QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 8 2004, 06:00 AM)
We complain about the price of gas at $2.00 a gallon, then turn around and pay around $4.00 per gallon for Coca Cola (sugar and water), $12.00 for beer (hops and water), $40.00 for wine (grapes and water), $50.00 for whiskey (grain and water), and $$$(?) for mineral water (water). Why do we do this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Mike

That's a BS argument.
Nobody *needs* beer, or bottled water, or whiskey.
EVERYBODY *needs* gasoline. From the stuff in your car to get to work, to the fuel in the jets that deliver your mail, to the trucks that deliver food from the farm to the grocery store, to the fuel in the tanks rolling through Baghdad right now to ensure our oil supply keeps growing. (Democracy? yeah right. Not as long as Chalabi has a hand in things).

Energy is an input to the economy - so energy costs act as a friction on the economy. It works the same as a tax. Our economy started to sag in late 1998. That's right around the time Venezuela's Hugo Chavez started prodding Opec to cut supply to prop up oil prices. A speech he made at the time (and I can't find a link for it anymore) said that the US had been having a great economy, and it was time for them to take a peice of the pie.

I'm not for going in and taking out Chavez (piece of dirt that he is) - he's democratically elected. But I think this is probably one of the most underreported and ignored news stories out there. The US economy is VERY sensitive to energy prices. And the oil industry does NOT want the government to interfere. Remember the outrage when Clinton tapped the strategic petroleum reserve to smooth off the price spike?

The guys you have to watch for are the corporate terrorists that ran Worldcom, Enron and even Martha Stewart. I'd rather see a few bombed out boardrooms than caves in the middle east. Now I'm not saying the price of gas is outrageous in relation to so many other things, but the way this is all managed is outrageous.

Whoa there - I'm with you on that there's serious need for corporate and regulatory reform here in the US. But that kind of talk will get you sent to Guantanamo.
Martha Stewart is the one they chose to make an example of. And you know what? She's only going to get 10-16 months. And her fans are *crying* at the sham. This is a careful propaganda ploy to tug at the public's heart strings to soften our response to the Enrons and Worldcoms. Don't fall for it. These guys deserve what they get. Call it a witch hunt if you will, but these gingerbread mansion execs are eating our children.

They claim it's caused by a shortage of the reformulated gas we use here in California in the winter, and is now being used in several other states. If that's the case, why is diesel which isn't reformulated, going up with regular?
The truth is they have us by the nuts and can squeeze whenever they feel like it.

Yes, "boutique formulation" of Gasoline is what the oil industry is complaining about as the big bugaboo. Boo hoo. Remember when there was leaded and unleaded? I'm sure they'd want to go back to leaded if they could. The goal here, is to paint their political enemies - those who have made regulatory requirements for low-sulfur or oxygenated gasoline, as whiners, and the cause of the high gasoline prices. Ask any industry lobbyist, and they'll tell you that the problem is too much regulation. Poor babies don't want to have to do business responsibly. These are the same people who brought us Bhopal. Well, excuse me if I don't want to live in a place where the air is like Mexico city. Just look at how Houston, TX has taken over as the nation's smoggiest city from LA. Gasoline formulation works. Regulation works.

Don't misconstrue that as an argument for regulating antique cars though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) I still say we should get rid of the politicians who propose that. A few thousand "weekend warriors" are nothing compared to the tens of millions of cars that drive to and from work every day.

In CA we VOTED YES for higher taxes!!

No we didn't. We voted to whip out the credit card, then pat Ah-nold on the back as a financial genius who "balanced the budget".
Ah-nold, who is just a paid shill for Enron. Because $9 billion of prop 57 is going straight into the pockets of the cheating energy companies who ripped us off in 2000.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)

They do have us by the nuts, but they can't squeeze whenever they feel like it. They can only squeeze when we put their executives and their close freinds into public office.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 11:35 PM