Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gas Prices
lagunero
post Mar 8 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #61

Donkey Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,531

On the taxes in CA, I meant a few Props (years) ago. I remember the # right now.

No one can fix CA in one term let alone in a fraction, but we always spend more than what comes in cuz we're such a friendly state, so I don't blame Ah-nold or Dubya for that matter. Our budgets are designed to be spent, if you don't spend it you don't get more.

McDonald's for example does not make their profits on .49 hamburgers, it's the daily millions of .49 that they need to invest worldwide. Disrupt that flow and you can send a message one day a week.

Watch for +3.00 until election time.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
majkos
post Mar 8 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) Sorry guys,I just heard the (Opec-like) groups needed to create a little shortage to rid of the surplus.Good grief!
+Quote Post
tmp914
post Mar 8 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 193

$1.58 for regular, but it is going up last week I paid $1.53 I hear it will be $3.00 this summer
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Mar 9 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #64

English Member

Member No.: 144

Boycotting buying gas on a particular day was tried here, and failed.

Another way proposed was to boycott a particular brand, Esso (Exxon) I think it was. That way all those garages would have to reduce their prices to a point where some people would go back there. The other garages would then have to lower their prices to get custom.

This theory didn't really work because not everyone got to hear about it.

Andy
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Mar 9 2004, 08:13 AM
Post #65

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

I'm paying 1.53 for regular,about 1.71 for premium.
I'm driving a Geo metro doin 47mpg.
Still,drivin 300 miles a week back and forth to work is pushin $20.00 a week in gas.
Ron
+Quote Post
jarbuthnot
post Mar 9 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #66

Senior Woman Driver

Member No.: 1,065

QUOTE(mikester @ Mar 8 2004, 03:10 PM)
you may experience preignition with "regular" and thus need a higher octane but bearing in mind the price of gas I would check out the mid grade.

I'm getting a new engine, shortly, which will be a 2L (up from 1.7), so guess what the owners manual says, no longer applies.

Haven't a clue what I have/will have (I'm mechanically challanged), but would assume it's stock. What is preignition and do I really care for a daily driver?

Edited - sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Tony
post Mar 9 2004, 02:58 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 967

Guys

I worked at a gas station during the first gas shortage. The funny thing was that we pump out the same amount of gas that month that we did the month before that. Every one was afriad that they wouldn't have gas to go work. So instead of the gas being in our ground tanks it was in every ones elses cars gas tank. They fill up as soon as the were a half a tank down at a higher price. that year the Oil companys make 300% proifts.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 9 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #68

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

In Tampa:
87 oct is $1.69
89 oct is $1.79
93 oct is $1.89

Hey, didn't those left wing wack jobs say we went into Iraq for the oil?
Well how come the supplies are down and price is up?

Paul
+Quote Post
drew365
post Mar 9 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #69

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Hey, didn't those left wing wack jobs say we went into Iraq for the oil?

Excuse me, but I resemble that remark! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I think they decided Saddam hid his oil inside the WMD's. They're still looking. Film at 11.
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Mar 9 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #70

CSOBOSC founding member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 602

About $2.27 for regular around here. Of course, I filled up with diesel the other day for $1.86............... :-)

sm
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 9 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #71

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jarbuthnot @ Mar 9 2004, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE(mikester @ Mar 8 2004, 03:10 PM)
you may experience preignition with "regular" and thus need a higher octane but bearing in mind the price of gas I would check out the mid grade.

I'm getting a new engine, shortly, which will be a 2L (up from 1.7), so guess what the owners manual says, no longer applies.

Haven't a clue what I have/will have (I'm mechanically challanged), but would assume it's stock. What is preignition and do I really care for a daily driver?

Edited - sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

If you are getting a 2.0l almost everyone uses the Euro 94 mm pistons for 8to1 compression. You should use the premium gas running these or you will hear that "Pinging" taping sound when you floor it. Not a good sound! Its the gas preigniting before it should or exploding in a big bang instead of a slow burn pushing the pistons. This can slowly cause engine damage like broken rings which then leak oil and rob power.

How is the car otherwise? Hmm, why are you getting a 2.0l motor?

Geoff
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 9 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 4

94 octane was $1.93 here this morning.
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Mar 9 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 1,266

Had to fill up the wife's New Beetle the other day, cost me $35; still though, it's a lot cheaper than driving my big-block Burb!

If you think the price of gas is high right now...wait until Memorial Day! The gas companies always screw us royal for the summer!
+Quote Post
jarbuthnot
post Mar 10 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #74

Senior Woman Driver

Member No.: 1,065

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 9 2004, 11:03 PM)
You should use the premium gas running these or you will hear that "Pinging" taping sound when you floor it.

How is the car otherwise? Hmm, why are you getting a 2.0l motor?

Pinging I know about from previous experience, so will definitely go with super, or whatever the guy who's building it says to do.

On the drive home from Oregon. I had some problems, and when my mechanic looked at it, he said some of the cylinders and pistons were bad and/or going. In a previous thread (new engine or rebuild), Brad recommended upgrading from 1.7 to 2.0. And since the 1.7 was like an old VW moter and couldn't pass a semi going up hill, I decided I wanted more power. Granted, that may have been due to the problems, but... Talked to Jake, who was extremely helpful, but he couldn't do it until May, so went with a guy in Boston, who Jake said he does business with.

Don't know how the car is, it's been sitting at my mechanic's for several months, covered with a cloth tarp and then a real tarp over it. So, I hope it's ok, but will soon see.
+Quote Post
need4speed
post Mar 10 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 564

I ought to start a new thread for this. But it's related;

I'm looking into replacing my daily driver 240 Volvo with a more fuel-efficient car. The ultimate choice seems to be a TDI-based VW. The results of my "research":

1. California EPA restrictions impose a tax on diesels in 2004, because of tighter restrictions on Diesel fuel sulfer content. Since diesel fuel sold in California won't be able to meet those tighter restrictions until 2006, no diesels can be registered in California until that time, without the seller (or manufacturer?) paying this surcharge. Hence, VW has bowed out of the California market with their diesels. You may blame the California EPA for making overzealous restrictions that the diesel fuel suppliers can't (or won't) meet. Or you could blame the diesel fuel suppliers for not gearing up their production facilities to produce enough of the fuel that meets those requirements. I personally blame the oil companies, of course. That's just the way I am. Either way - the price of Diesel in California will definately go up as a result, and either way, VW told California to f-off.
So - IF the oil companies come through, and start supplying the low-sulfur diesel in California, or IF these restrictions are lifted, VW *may* again supply Diesels in California in 2006.

2. The Jetta is a tiny, tiny car. It has a crappy reliability rating from Consumer Reports, and from my brother in law's personal experience. (He was so pissed about his 92 Jetta, he said he'd disown me if I bought one). The TDI motor is readily available for the Jetta, and rates about 50 mpg on the highway. No hybrid I know of will do that. Hybrids tend to be better in stop-n-go traffic, because of the ability to utilize the regenerative braking. Hybrid proponents dispute this as anti-hybrid propaganda. (seems to me, the ideal compromise would be a diesel hybrid?)

3. The Passat is larger, same class as the Accord. I think it's based on the Audi A4 body. It also has a much better reliability rating than the Jetta. Also, generally about $10k more. The same 1.9l TDI engine still gets 50 mpg. I don't understand the physics behind that, but obviously, the Passat isn't going to have the same zip that the Jetta has with the same engine.

4. The Passat offered the TDI motor in 1996, 1997, and 1998. They were very rare. And the "official" VW "certified pre-owned VW" program won't sell a car older than 1999. 1999 was also the body-style change for the Passat. The 2004 Passat has the TDI motor as an option - but NOT in California.

5. The Toureg's V-10 is apparently also a Diesel. NOT available in California. This engine supposedly gets 35 mpg on the highway, which is better than the projected milage for the new hybrid trucks coming out of Detroit NEXT year. Damn, wouldn't it be kick ass to crowbar that v-10 into a teener. Along with the triptronic?

6. So far, it's been impossible to find a TDI Passat (1996-1998) in California. If anyone knows of one for sale, I'd like to hear about it. TDI Jettas come and go, and I guess the later ones may not be as bad as the 1990's ones. It also SEEMS that when I've seen TDI Jettas advertised, they're a couple thousand MORE in California. I may end up looking for one in Phoenix.

I only need a car to commute with, which means a Golf might even suit me - but for the occasional drive of kids and friends to school, basketball practice, etc. . . man, that's a tiny car.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 10 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #76

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

I know it's rice, but what about the Toyota Prius Hybrid?

We have quite a few in the pool at work and Toyota is selling them below thier cost....dunno why. They do very well in stop and go, get 45mpg.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:32 AM