Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need Engine rebuilding advice, 1.7 top end bad, need some options
brandomc
post Aug 4 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,363
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Everyone, I am needing some advice for what i should do with my engine. I have a 72 1.7 Fi motor with 80k on it at least. The previous owner said that he put all new seals in it and ignition components, but as far as i can tell he did nothing. He also said that it just needed a valve job on the passenger side cylinder head. Also a big lie. when i tested compresson on the engine "after buying it" i found 0 compression on Cyl # 4. I decided to let a volkswalgon mechanic i know work on it since i thought all it needed was a valve seat or something like that replaced. Oh yeah, the engine did run, but not well. Anyways, the mechanic calls me over and shows me the carnige of my top end.
Attached Image
Attached Image
It isnt too bad i guess, but the head, piston and cylinder are shot on #4. The mechanic says that he will pull the pistons and cylinders and use his extensive knowlege of the engines to determine if the bottom end is good or not without disasembling. He did that and told me that the bottom end seems solid and he couldn't see anything wrong with it. He then said that he could get all the new parts for my top end for 1500+ 2000 for labor. I feel that it is worth it to do the labor myself and i know im quite capable, i just need to know the best option for parts, or if i should just start from scratch and build a "biger" engine. Does Raby have any top end kits for something like this? Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 28)
brandomc
post Aug 5 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #21

I called EASY just now, and they sound great. I can get a compression tested 1.7 longblock for 300 bucks. I inquired about a 2.0 and it would be 1250 w/o injection and 1500 with injection, but no guarentee that the injection would work. My question now is what would be best, spend the money on the 2.0, drive it for a while, save up, purchase one of jakes 2056 kits? Or pull 300 bucks out of my piggy bank and get me cruisin with a 1.7. Then i would need to come up on a 2.0 core to build from still???? Im sure if im patient i could find a 2.0 on craigslist for a good price.
Im likeing this 300$ engine thing though. My mechanic already charged me 450 to pull and inspect my engine. Should have done it myself i guess. With this knowledge, what would you guys do?
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Aug 5 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #22

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'd do the $300, personally and save pennies for a 2056/2270 kit
+Quote Post
brandomc
post Aug 5 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #23

I think that i have made a decision. Im going to try the 300$ long block and pray that it is a decent engine. Hopefully then i can drive the car and figure out what rout to take building a 1911 or a 2056 or Biger?? I now need a clutch cable, new clutch and pressure plate, and the correct motor mounts. Where can i get these other than Egay?
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Aug 5 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 7,351

If you want to get the car back on the road soon, get the $300 1.7 and do a motor swap. I think for the Raby kits, you need a case, 2.0 crank and 2.0 rods. Any case will do, including the one you have. So all you need to do is keep your eye out for the crank and rods while you're driving your car.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Aug 5 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #25

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE(brandomc @ Aug 5 2009, 03:19 PM) *

I think that i have made a decision. Im going to try the 300$ long block and pray that it is a decent engine. Hopefully then i can drive the car and figure out what rout to take building a 1911 or a 2056 or Biger?? I now need a clutch cable, new clutch and pressure plate, and the correct motor mounts. Where can i get these other than Egay?

pelican

pelican has the full kit which is nice

you need to get your flywheel resurfaced, probably too
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 6 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

EASY isn't just a motor yard. You can get all your used parts from them.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 6 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #27

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

before you put it in the car - mark the fan for TDC and adjust the valves - may be good advice ??
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Aug 6 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #28

stoya, stoya, stoya

btw, I just want to say you cali guys suck... $300 for a decent longblock is a good deal to get a car back on the road.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jan 8 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #29

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

For future info, check out my blog in my signature block. I built a 1911 using parts from Jake and with his 1.7 -> 2.0 article fast in hand. It lists the components I used for the build. At first I used the FI and have sinced switched to carbs.

I love this motor! And the sound is fantastic. Just something to think about.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 09:22 AM