Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hell Hole holes?, Are the hell holes supposed to have drainage holes?
jjbunn
post Aug 5 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #1

Julian

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,383
Region Association: Southern California

Water gets in via the engine lid side grilles and collects in the bottom of the hell holes on each side of my 914. I can't see any drainage holes: should there be?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Aug 5 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

Yes, there is a nickel size hole in both, they kind of point towards the center of the car a little. The factory installed plugs in the hole with very small slits in them for drainage. Once blocked with crud the water backs up and rust begins. It would be easier to jack the car up and inspect from underneath to see if your plugs are still there and pry them out with a screwdriver. I found them in my 75 that I bought last year, but luckily it was a garage queen and never got wet enough to get rusty. Pull them out, then oneday when you pull the engine you can sand and POR15 those areas, if they are not rotted out. hope this helps
+Quote Post
jjbunn
post Aug 5 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Julian

Member No.: 10,383
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 5 2009, 01:28 PM) *

Yes, there is a nickel size hole in both, they kind of point towards the center of the car a little. The factory installed plugs in the hole with very small slits in them for drainage. Once blocked with crud the water backs up and rust begins. It would be easier to jack the car up and inspect from underneath to see if your plugs are still there and pry them out with a screwdriver. I found them in my 75 that I bought last year, but luckily it was a garage queen and never got wet enough to get rusty. Pull them out, then oneday when you pull the engine you can sand and POR15 those areas, if they are not rotted out. hope this helps

Great! Yes, that helps a lot. I will take a look underneath, and see what's what.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Aug 5 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

Let me know what you find.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:59 PM