Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 newbie. Just bought my first 72 1.7l fi, bone stock...
Shade Tree
post Aug 27 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey, I just checked out your car at Bruce's shop. Wonderful choice of mechanics. Bruce is the best. For those of you who don't know him, his name is Bruce Watson....wwautowerks. Your car is nice and it sounds like you got a good deal on it. I have faith that your car will be reliable and back on the road soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Rich.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
blazerchad
post Aug 27 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,684
Region Association: None

bruce just called me... said someone recognized the car from the forum!!! small world! that is awesome... bruce is a stud, he is a great teacher and very understanding about budget...

im very satisfied with ww autoworks...

and get this, my high school english teacher was there... couldnt believe it... viva mr. dewitt!
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 27 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #23

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Classic
Good thing you did get to drive it for a few hours, now you are adequately hooked to empty your wallet, spend late nights on the internet ordering parts, and counting down the days until the next cruise. Try to post some more photos - especially of the problem zones. There are some super sharp-eyed mechanics lurking about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 27 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #24

B-)

edit - delete
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 27 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #25

B-)

Classic
Good thing you did get to drive it for a few hours, now you are adequately hooked to empty your wallet, spend late nights on the internet ordering parts, and counting down the days until the next cruise. Try to post some more photos - especially of the problem zones. There are some super sharp-eyed mechanics lurking about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 27 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #26

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 28 2009, 07:50 AM
Post #27

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

The Red Relay you are talking about is a Fuel Pump Relay .... 911 style ... same function as a black one, but the 911s were red.
+Quote Post
Shade Tree
post Aug 28 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(blazerchad @ Aug 27 2009, 07:18 PM) *

bruce just called me... said someone recognized the car from the forum!!! small world! that is awesome... bruce is a stud, he is a great teacher and very understanding about budget...

im very satisfied with ww autoworks...

and get this, my high school english teacher was there... couldnt believe it... viva mr. dewitt!

I didn't have Mr. Dewitt but you must have went to Thurston. That's where I went to school too.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Aug 28 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 10,019

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) That is one clean 914 .......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)!!! Congratulations on the aquisition!!! Mine is a silver 1973 1.7 ....... even though clean ....... will be getting a set of AA GT flares ......... welcome to the jungle and keep posting your progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) !!!
+Quote Post
blazerchad
post Aug 29 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #30

i did go to thurston... had dewitt twice for sci fi and english...

+Quote Post
blazerchad
post Sep 6 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #31

UPDATE....

well I spent 4 days with bruce at ww autowerks in eugene...

had a great time, great learning experience..

I bought this car for a daily driver.. I know.. but im pretty handy and can keep old rigs running...

I realize now that this wasnt a great choice, I made an assumption that because of the vw cross-over and proliferation of parts the 914 would be a good choice..

Well, If I hadnt met bruce then the 914 would have been a bad choice... but Bruce has helped me make sense of the car and given me the confidence to make repairs to this ride..

Bruce and I put in a distributor and brain, found countless broken wires, fuel injectors... timed it countless times...

its funning really good now... been a long road...

still have the heads up flasher warning, and I have an old school MC, two wires into a plunger... no reset..

e brake has a switch that I took out, cleaned, inspected.. now its mashed down in the "open position" (I think I better take this out one more time)

tore open all the seat belt system... (no interlock) hooked it back up, it operates.. still flashing...

the two lights that flash... left orb of heads up display, both signal lights, with a [b] in brackets below it... i noticed that the flashing is slower than when you pull the hazards.. they click a touch faster... hmmm...

anyhow.. I know this is a longtime issue among 914's and have read many ideas on how to kill the infernal flashing...

who knows...

+Quote Post
blazerchad
post Sep 6 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #32

update.. flashing...

well lo and behold.. if you back out the hazard switch gently... flashing stops.. its like the switch is worn and contact is made in the closed position... i pull on it a touch.. just back it up a touch and the mysterious flashing goes away... AND my turn signal left and right bulbs were slightly glowing while the car was running... almost like... a flasher relay problem, i went and turned the flashers on and noticed the subtle gow went away... hmmm I thought.. switch problems... found the middle ground between off and on... boom, slight bulb glow is gone and the pre ignition warning flash goes away...

relief.. now to fix the turn signal switch...
+Quote Post
blazerchad
post Sep 6 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #33

another update...

after re-building the alternator... I decided that a new voltage reg was in order... didnt ever really get an answer on a one-wire alternator... so I upgraded to an adjustable output voltage regulator... sits at 1/8th the height of the old mechanical regulator..

grounded it... runs and charges...

thought people might like to hear there is an affordable upgrade and adjustable... who knows...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 02:57 PM