Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vertex Auto??, Anybody deal with Vertex? good/bad??
East coaster
post Mar 10 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 487
Region Association: None

Has anyone had any experience dealing with Vertex?? They have the best damn price on the flywheel I need, but I'm always nervous dealing with Porsche parts vendors I haven't heard much about. Unless it's a typo on thier website, they have a 3.2 Carerra flywheel for $189.00. That's about 70 bucks cheaper than any I've seen!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
machina
post Mar 10 2004, 07:22 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

they are good guys.

been to their store/warehouse many times over the years for 911 stuff. They will usually give a better price on stuff if you ask.

problem is now, they don't know much or care much about 914's. Don't even list 914's in their ads.

some parts are x-over from 911 of course.

anyway, go for the flywheel.

dr
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 10 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #3

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good guys, bought 911 stuff and the prices were excellent.
CCLINVERTEXME
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 10 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I dealt with them many many years ago. For shocks, I believe. They were good, fast, and cheap. (I know, you usually only get to pick two of those at most!)

No clue what they're like now, as that was probably near 10 years ago.

--DD
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Mar 10 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #5

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

I too have bought from them over the years,parts for my 914/6 project.All with good results.
This past Jan.I called'm about buying that 189.00 flywheel for my 3.6l conversion.Someone locally said it would work for a 993eng/915trans application.
I explained my appl.to the guy on the phone and why I wanted to try that flywheel.He told me it wouldn't work cause it doesnt have any room for a timer ring.Said I needed a conversion flywheel which he said he had one that a customer had ordered but stiffed him when it came time to pay up.I picked it up from him for $400.00,it came in brand new,never used,and when I weighed it,it came in at 9.75lbs bare.Clutch disc,flywheel,& pilot bearing came in at 525.00
To me,there good guys to deal with.
Most all the stuff I've ordered arives w/in 2-3 days.
I've even sent stuff back cause I've ordered something wrong,and they've never charged me any xtra.
The only thing is they are limited in 914 stuff,mostly all 911 so ya gotta be a little creative in applications of parts.
Ron
+Quote Post
maf914
post Mar 10 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #6

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

I called them several years ago to ask about 914 CV joints, since they had 911 CV's in their magazine ads. Quick response, "We don't carry 914 parts". Okay! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Like Ron said, if you can use a 911 part, fine. If not, don't bother. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Mike
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Mar 10 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #7

Shit Ron........I just ordered a 3.2 flywheel from them for the very same purpose. Brad stated on your post that it will work fine for a 3.6 w/915 so I just ordered it. I hope the hell it works, I thought the 3.2 had a DME ring also??? I was planning on turning down the OD of my stock DME ring like you did (.080 right?) and pressing it onto the 3.2 stock flywheel. I guess I'll find out!

Any more progress pics, Ron??? I've got my sheet metal sorted out and my pulleys made and the cam block off plug. My tranny is at HPH getting R&P flip and Wevo goodies. I hoping to get this thing running this year??
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Mar 10 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #8

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

Ya know,
I thought the same thing about the 3.2 flywheel.
I figured that I would give it a try if I could come in at about half the cost of a conversion unit.But,when he offered me the bolt-in unit for 400 bucks,I figured why f-with it.buy it & be done w/it.
I still haven't physically seen a 3.2 flywheel to know if it could be modified.
Projectwise,I'm still trying to score a good used torque-biasing diff for my box.If I don't find one or some other must have goodie at Hershey next month,I'll buy a new one and start humpin to get the engine&trans in the car.
Ron
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Mar 10 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #9

Saw a rebuilt factory ZF LSD on Pelican 911 classifieds yesterday. I think he was asking 1200 or 1300 for it.

I'll let you know about the 3.2 flywheel in a couple of days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Mar 10 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I dealt with them alot last year when restoring my 911...they were great! I ordered the wrong rear rubber lip for my tail (ordered a turbo vs. carrera) and they exchanged it even with no questions. Very good guys.

Jim
+Quote Post
william harris
post Mar 10 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #11

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

Several years ago I restored a 1984 Carrera Cab and I bought a ton of parts from Vertex. No one could match their prices, the parts were OEM or better and shipping was on time. They never missed a beat. Too bad they are totally uninterested in the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Mar 10 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 538

I bought 4 new kolbenschmidt oversized pistons for my 944 turbo from them off e-bay a few years ago for about 1/5 th the regular asking price. They honored the bid and shipped them right away. Needless to say I was very pleased with them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 03:29 AM