Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hard starting when warm, 10-15 min/ stop 10 min/ hard to start
Tom
post Sep 10 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

76 2.0 d-jet. stock displacement, hydraulics, with smog removed and backdated exhaust to 74 2.0 SSI's with Triad.
Runs great. Pulls hard to redline in 4th with no missing. Idles 850-950 when warm. Starts up when cold just great and idles 700-800.
After running 10-15 minutes to town and going in the store for 10-15 minutes, come back out and turns over but doesn't want to fire. Pedal to the floor and turn over for 30-40 seconds and it gets faster and faster and finally fires up. Then runs great. If it sets for an hour or more , no problem in firing right up.
Searched here and the only thing I can see that may be causing this is the distributor plate spring(s)? The wiring is all fairly new, so I don't think that would be the problem. Checked all of the connections and they are clean and tight. If the dist plate is sticking in the full advance would that give me these symptoms and how would I fix that? Grease? Special type?
Thanks for any help,
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Sep 10 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 10 2009, 12:45 PM) *

76 2.0 d-jet. stock displacement, hydraulics, with smog removed and backdated exhaust to 74 2.0 SSI's with Triad.
Runs great. Pulls hard to redline in 4th with no missing. Idles 850-950 when warm. Starts up when cold just great and idles 700-800.
After running 10-15 minutes to town and going in the store for 10-15 minutes, come back out and turns over but doesn't want to fire. Pedal to the floor and turn over for 30-40 seconds and it gets faster and faster and finally fires up. Then runs great. If it sets for an hour or more , no problem in firing right up.
Searched here and the only thing I can see that may be causing this is the distributor plate spring(s)? The wiring is all fairly new, so I don't think that would be the problem. Checked all of the connections and they are clean and tight. If the dist plate is sticking in the full advance would that give me these symptoms and how would I fix that? Grease? Special type?
Thanks for any help,
Tom

I would think if it was full advance, the starter would hang up from the engine trying to fire the fuel before the piston was up.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 10 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Check valve in fuel pump not holding residual pressure after shutoff or pressure regulator is leaking too!

D-Jet, L-Jet, CIS, etc must hold pressure for a period of time after a hot shutdown to start readily. Usually 15 - 20 psi for about 20 mins depending upon system.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 11 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thanks Slits, I'll check that out.
Tom
+Quote Post
thompson-mfr
post Sep 11 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Thompson, Ryan

Member No.: 9,598
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 10 2009, 12:45 PM) *

Thanks for any help,
Tom

why are you pressing on the gas pedal "padal to the floor?" when starting? I have a 74 djet and never press on the pedal for starts. Maybe I didn't understand you correctly.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 11 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Read somewhere in another thread about that helping sometimes. First time I had the problem, it wouldn't fire, so I pressed the pedal to the floor and sure enough it fired after about 10-15 seconds of cranking. ??? Don't understand why, but it has worked for me several times.
Thought of something lese to try this weekend to narrow the problem down. I'll take a small can of carb cleaner with me. If the problem shows up, I'll spray a little in the intake mouth of the cleaner. If it starts, then it must be fuel related. Make sense to you guys?
Tom
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Sep 11 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Pedal to the floor is normaly "flood clear" mode. No injectors firing. At least thats what i've been told.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 11 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

That did cross my mind also, but when it finally starts, no dark smoke like a flooded engine usually shows. And why would it flood? It has been sitting for 10-15 minutes not running? Leaking injectors?
Tom
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 11 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #9

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

The fuel boils on the supply side (lines & pump) on a '69 - '74 due to where the pump is located (vapor lock). The pump will get really hot and it sucks at pumping air, bubbles or fumes.

In '75-'76 they moved the pump to the front under the tank to alleviate this problem.

That is why I mentioned leaks (yours is a '76) ... I have fought the problem on a couple of vehicles. Once I could get it to hold pressure in the system after a hot shutdown, it would start right up hot.

But then I'm just a barbaric backyard shadetree mechanic.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Feb 19 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

OK, put the pressure gage on and it holds 25 psi for 30 min. Still has the " hard starting problem after warmed up and sitting for 10 min". Once it restarts after being "hard to start after warm", and you turn it off and try to restart it right away, it starts right back up. The hard to start only happens after sitting for a short time. If it sits for an hour or more there is no starting problem.
Any thing I should check next? The car runs so good otherwise, Im just stumped as to what could cause this, It isn't leaking injectors , I've pulled the plugs after cranking and not firing and they are not soaked.
Thanks,
Tom
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 19 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Change the coil. It might e getting heat soaked.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 19 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #12

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Start with the basics. 90% of fuel related problems are electrical. I would start with checking the points and condensor. They could be fried. Definately the coil as suggested. could just be weak spark from a cracked cap. try it at night and look for leaking spark.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 19 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #13

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

CHTS going bad or wire brittle/grounding? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 19 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #14

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

News flash, guys. THEY DID THIS WHEN THEY WERE NEW!

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Tom
post Feb 19 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

OK Cap'n. I was sure I had heard of this years before. Is there any fix? Car has about 1500 miles on a complete tune up with points, plugs, cap, rotor. wires, etc. Had the engine out to replace seals and clean it up and went through all of the FI harness and engine wiring and replaced connectors and wires that did not look or read good with an ohmmeter' Checked all of the ground connections and wire brushed and renewed as needed. As in earlier post, runs just great otherwise.
Thanks,
Tom
+Quote Post
Tom
post Feb 20 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Anyone have any more ideas to fix this or have any of you had this type of problem?
I think the next time I'm out driving, I'll park on a hill and see if it shows up to be hard starting after sitting for 10-15 min. Then I can let it bump start and see if that makes a difference. The starter is turning over very well- not slow at all. Have an Optima 34R and it is in great condition, so I really don't think it is a low voltage problem.
Thanks,
Tom
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 20 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I had a simular problem with my 1st 914. Thinking back it was definetly an electrical issue. I believe it was the ignition switch that was the culprit. Only happened after the car was warm.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Feb 20 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #18

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 20 2010, 07:10 AM) *

I had a simular problem with my 1st 914. Thinking back it was definetly an electrical issue. I believe it was the ignition switch that was the culprit. Only happened after the car was warm.

My 74 2.0 did that and it was the contacts in the ignition switch....heat=more resistance, perhaps that's why it's shows its ugly head when warm.

I also agree with checking the coil...have you, or swap it out.

My bet is on electrical.
+Quote Post
Gudhjem
post Feb 20 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,629

QUOTE(Tom @ Feb 20 2010, 06:59 AM) *

Anyone have any more ideas to fix this or have any of you had this type of problem?
I think the next time I'm out driving, I'll park on a hill and see if it shows up to be hard starting after sitting for 10-15 min. Then I can let it bump start and see if that makes a difference. The starter is turning over very well- not slow at all. Have an Optima 34R and it is in great condition, so I really don't think it is a low voltage problem.
Thanks,
Tom

I have exactly the same problem, and am following this thread hoping to get some new ideas. My ignition switch is new.

I've been suspecting that the spark is somehow not hot enough. Swapping out the coil (which isn't that old) may be my next step.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 20 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #20

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Cold start valve sticking open? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 08:13 PM