Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stuck in Gear, new trans stuck in 5th gear
astronomerdave
post Sep 15 2009, 03:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,979
Region Association: Southern California

I just bought a newly rebuilt side shifter to upgrade my '72 tail shifter. Upon initial assembly of the shift linkage I had the trans in N, let the cabin shift lever find its place left-to-right (which was mostly upright), held it centered front-to-back, and tightened the bolt on the forked part under the shifter plate.

I shifted into R, backed out, then 1, and took it for a test drive. 1-2-3 no problem. But I couldn't find 4th gear; it looked like the shifter wasn't moving over far enough. So I figured it was just a simple shifter adjustment. Back in the garage I loosened the adjustment bolt, moved the shifter over a bit, and re-tightened.

Sitting stationary in the garage I checked R-1-2-3-4-5 and then it was stuck. I couldn't move it at all at that point. (I actually thought it was stuck in 4th but now that I look at it, it could be 5th.)

I removed the linkage and tried grabbing the little input shaft arm right on the trans but I cannot move it. There is a little bit of front-to-back play but not enough to change gears and no up-down movement.

The questions:

1) Should this be possible and how is this possible to get stuck in gear?

2) Can I remedy this at home?

The place I bought it offered to pay for shipping both ways so they'll take care of me if I have to do that. They suggested I first try to remove the two nuts securing the cover around the input shaft on the side and move some kind of fork in/out of some kind of detent. Not being a transmission guy I don't quite understand what I'm looking for. Plus, as I suspect, if the shift arm can't move whatever it is, how can I do this with my finger? I did remove this and pulled out the input shaft with its attached three-tanged arm, but not sure how to proceed now.

Thanks...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:31 AM