Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> an easier way to measure deck height?
Jakeodoule
post Sep 18 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,630
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After reading lots of post on measuring deck height, as well as searching the internet on ways to measure it. I thought there has to be an easier way…

I made a plate that fits on the cylinder. Make sure it’s a good thick plate. I then drilled holes right above the outer part of the bore on both sides. Bolt it down tight.
Attached Image

Then I just zeroed out the digital caliper on the upper ring of the cylinder. I checked zero on each side of the plate to make sure its flat.
Attached Image
Moved it to one of the piston holes that I drilled. Pushed the caliper end into the bore and turned the cylinder through…. Then I took a reading off the caliper. It only pushes the caliper in to the point of your deck height.
Attached Image
You have to keep the caliper straight! But I took 4 or 5 readings on each side of the piston and each time I came within .0005 of the last reading. This seems rather simple to me as you do not need to find TDC. Just turn the crank till the piston rises and falls a little bit. In between you just shove the end of the caliper in and let the piston push the caliper shaft up till the piston drops back down and that’s your deck height…

I also saw many posts that said you only had to measure 1 cylinder. Thats bogus because 1 one my cylinders was .009 thou off from the others. I would measure each one if I were you. Also if you don't have any rings in you need to be careful about the piston being tilted a bit. So I just averaged the readings from side to side.

I’m sure I’ve done something that I will be flamed about by all the professional motor builders, but it seems to work for me.
I have thick skin so tell me what I did wrong….

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:38 AM