Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PNW Track Day?, Gauging if any interest
my928s4
post Sep 22 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I mentioned this briefly at the transmission rebuild clinic that we rent the track here in Spokane twice a year, after the track day this weekend I checked with Scott who organizes the day (he deals with the owners and arranges insurance) to see if he was OK with having some 914's join next year. Anyway he was Ok with the idea.

Originally we did this for just 928's (we are a bunch of misfits to the local P crowd) back in 2001 and we had the track to ourselves but costs have increased and numbers decreased over time so Scott keeps the numbers up by adding some other local drivers.

Apart from myself the other 928 owners drive from Portland, Seattle and Canada, we hang at my place on Friday eve to eat/drink, do last minute repairs or BS about cars. Most people bring a sleeping bag and stay over (got to save the $$ for parts and gas you know ....) but others find a motel/hotel up by the airport.

As for the actual track day those of you who have participated in PCA DE events will like the freedom. The track is open from 9-4 (5 if there are no drag events that eve) and apart form an hour for lunch (which is included) you get to drive whenever you want. The track itself is long (2.5miles) and wide, you can see an overhead shot here to give some perspective. Total cars for the day is approx 25.

If you join with our group the day cost $200 this year which is a steal, first timers whether it be complete track novices or Spokane novices get instructors. How long before they let you go out alone depends on you, may be as little as a few laps or a couple of hours.

Someone mentioned taking passengers, other drivers is not an issue, guests can go out but you need to get Scott's permission first.

That is all I can think of right now, below are some pictures from May this year and some in car footage from this weekend.

In Car Footage Sept 2009

May 2009 Track Day

If you are interested let me know and I will add you to the email notification.

Cheers
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rohar
post Sep 26 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

Not sure if the car will be ready by then, it'll definately be cutting it close. If you can keep me updated I'd appreciate it!
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Oct 7 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

Put me on the mailing list!

What time of year?

Thanks

Eddie
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Oct 8 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Put me on the mailing list

Dave
+Quote Post
Mr.242
post Oct 8 2009, 08:31 AM
Post #5

May your glass be smaller so it's always FULL!

Member No.: 9,160

I'm interested if I can get my car to a driving status........

Spokane Weather is so nice as long as it's not snowing!

Time of year?

I bet I can get 2 more Crandall's to join with SIX's and a family friend with a Corvette Z06.

Let's pick a date!
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Oct 8 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #6

If you PM me your email I will add you to the list no problem.

Dates, we did April for many years but after 3 years of snow showers we asked to be moved to May and it has worked out much better. Our 2nd day is always Sept which is a great Month here in Spokane, dry and warm but not hot. I won't know which weekends until later in the year.

Z06's are fast and you are going to get fed up of waving them by, the other Z06 in our group runs aftermarket brakes and a diff cooler but otherwise runs stock for long and hard sessions (I went out with him in May).

Chris
+Quote Post
6freak
post Oct 8 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #7

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

Im in and !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) oh yah those Corvettes can only catch me on the straits.I`ll beat them every time in the twistys...and spank a few 928`s along the way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) .......no really sounds like a thing to do next summer count me in
+Quote Post
914werke
post Nov 6 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #8

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Put me down as well!! Ive raced that track on my Superbike with WMRRA and it is great fun, loads of traction & just a couple of sketchy areas. Have they now cleaned up the Junk yard since changing ownership?
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Nov 7 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #9

Rich

Yes they cleared all the junk away, bunch of volunteers at the end of 2008 did it over a weekend. The whole facility looks pretty presentable, they resurfaced the drag strip and the entry to the straight but otherwise the road course was always the best part anyway!!

Just a reminder I need your email address if you want the updates with the rest of the attendees. Looks like they are working on the 2010 schedule so we should get the dates pretty soon.

As for spanking my 928 Mr C, you and a bunch of others !!
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jan 6 2010, 10:04 AM
Post #10

May 15th looks good for the first track day of 2010, September looks booked this year so looking at August 28th.

Just a heads up.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jan 6 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #11

MR.C

can you say ...Damn its hot
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Jan 6 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #12

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(my928s4 @ Sep 22 2009, 08:15 AM) *

I mentioned this briefly at the transmission rebuild clinic that we rent the track here in Spokane twice a year, after the track day this weekend I checked with Scott who organizes the day (he deals with the owners and arranges insurance) to see if he was OK with having some 914's join next year. Anyway he was Ok with the idea.

Originally we did this for just 928's (we are a bunch of misfits to the local P crowd) back in 2001 and we had the track to ourselves but costs have increased and numbers decreased over time so Scott keeps the numbers up by adding some other local drivers.

Apart from myself the other 928 owners drive from Portland, Seattle and Canada, we hang at my place on Friday eve to eat/drink, do last minute repairs or BS about cars. Most people bring a sleeping bag and stay over (got to save the $$ for parts and gas you know ....) but others find a motel/hotel up by the airport.

As for the actual track day those of you who have participated in PCA DE events will like the freedom. The track is open from 9-4 (5 if there are no drag events that eve) and apart form an hour for lunch (which is included) you get to drive whenever you want. The track itself is long (2.5miles) and wide, you can see an overhead shot here to give some perspective. Total cars for the day is approx 25.

If you join with our group the day cost $200 this year which is a steal, first timers whether it be complete track novices or Spokane novices get instructors. How long before they let you go out alone depends on you, may be as little as a few laps or a couple of hours.

Someone mentioned taking passengers, other drivers is not an issue, guests can go out but you need to get Scott's permission first.

That is all I can think of right now, below are some pictures from May this year and some in car footage from this weekend.

In Car Footage Sept 2009

May 2009 Track Day

If you are interested let me know and I will add you to the email notification.

Cheers

I enjoyed your pics of running in the wet in PNW...but then what else?

I'm thinking I couldn't find a BETTER car for the WET than a 928: Heavy with the HIGH-POLAR Moment of Inertial layout (front engine/rear transaxle). My last Porsche was a 944S2 and loved how foregiving the chassis was on-track. I'll bet you had a great time!

BTW: The WORST car I can think of for the wet: the 914!!! Oh what have I gotten myself into? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Enjoy those great 928s and when the time comes....think about sliding in a nice chevy LS1 or LS6. You will certainly enjoy the low cost in the conversion vs. the rebuilt cost of a 928 V8...IMO (you can just save the old engine in the corner of the garage)

Best,
Terry
914 V8
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Jan 26 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #13

Unregistered

Terry,

Yes, it can be a bit wet in the PNW.

(IMG:http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/AlkiBMW/IRDC%202009/PICT0046V2Medium.jpg)

I agree that a 914 can be a bit of a handful in these conditions.

(IMG:http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/AlkiBMW/IRDC%202009/PICT0043.jpg)

I was so crossed up here that I nearly slid out of the picture.

My 914 was running on well worn RA-1 tires. No match for Hoosier Wets. After I gave up trying to keep up with other cars on treaded tires, I couldn't believe how much I fun it was! The learning was unending. Understeer, oversteer, thresh-hold braking, thresh-hold acceleration ... and the most fun of all ... right foot steering.

See everyone in Spokane! Hopefully for a hot dry day.

Cheers

Eddie
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jan 26 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #14

MR.C

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...OOOOOOOSHIT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Jan 26 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #15

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420

Eddie,

That first picture is awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Mar 9 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #16

For those who sent me a PM you should have received an email asking for paymentof $225.

For those who are interested and have not PM's me their email address now is the time !!

Be nice to get some 914's out there.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Mar 9 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #17

MR.C

QUOTE(my928s4 @ Mar 9 2010, 05:56 PM) *

For those who sent me a PM you should have received an email asking for paymentof $225.

For those who are interested and have not PM's me their email address now is the time !!

Be nice to get some 914's out there.

I didnt get any ..dates or an address or pm
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:37 AM