Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Up Date Mary Shortridge car Message to the team
rick 918-S
post Oct 2 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #21

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 2 2009, 06:42 PM) *

I apologize for missing the meeting. I worked late and then missed my reminder because I was working on the car, bead blasting the cooling tin.

I feel bad for missing it.

is there any action Items I can take on?

Hi Wayne, I'm sorry, I was going to give you a reminder call but work was kicking my ass.

I think Mike is in the lead position for now. He is working on getting time lines established for the completion of the engine and chassis. Mike is also in charge of compiling a punch list for a final parts list. (sorry Mike but you have most of the info sewed up)

When we have the parts list and completion date for the engine we can set a date for a "Overhauling" style build.

Once we have the engine completion date and final parts list we plan Make a grand announcment and post a NPR style fund raiser. This will involve a weekend push to raise cash for several things. When this happens we will need your help to bump the post and be a cheerleader. That's my best asset. I'm a real good cheerleader.

As part of our fund raising effort we discussed raising cash to fly in at least one guy like Ed Morrow (EJM on world) Ed is a former VW Porsche Dealer Mechanic. He retired (early) to work for Chris Foley because he wanted to work on 914's.

Ed (or if Ed cant' do it) or someone like him would be an invaluable asset during the build.

Also I think we decided when the donated parts start to fade our fund raising efforts will go twords purchasing parts from guys like Mike at GPR, Mark's rubber parts and Eric Shea's caliper rebuild service. We discussed asking these guys for donations but thought better of it. We think as part of our support for Mary it would be doublely good to help our small vendors.

Anyone else have anything to add or correct me if I mis-posted?

Great meeting guys!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Oct 2 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #22

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

excellent. Ed sounds like a perfect Candidate!
if Ed can't then I'm sure Clay would. he expressed interest and has worked at Zim's Autoteknik for quite some time as both full and part time mechanic. someone like Ed or CLay will go a long way to making this project happen.

I wish I still knew of someone with real friends in the travel industry, that could provide a discounted airfare... but maybe a memeber who travels for sales would want to donate some of his/her frequent flyer miles. I have an engineer friend who does this, he can't possibly use all the airline miles so he gives them to friends and charities. I can see if maybe he has a few he could donate, or sell cheaply. in tough economic times people may want to hold onto their cash, but things like airline rewards may be expendable.

We think as part of our support for Mary it would be doublely good to help our small vendors.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) I can't agree more. I think it's good karma or whatever to at least give the "little" guys, our devoted member vendors a chance to run with the big dogs to help the 914 family. they put so much into the community already, I look at it as the right thing to do. I'm sure Pelican or AA would give a discount, and not think of it, but the members may not be able to give as much of a discount, but it would give them something to be proud of, and really show that this organization can further unify the community to accomplish great things like helping Mary. maybe I'm just an idealist tho (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Oct 3 2009, 06:54 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Rick,

Great recap - thanks!

My action items:
  1. Contact Mary and make her aware of our proposed "Overhaul" weekend
  2. Get a more complete list of parts to be purchased to Rob in Excel so he can create a budget

There exists the possibility that Mary wants this completed before we can get to it. Now that the car has some color on it and suspension is getting bolted up the anticipation builds and may move forward quickly. Whether it gets done properly is another story. What I think works to our timeline is the fact that Mary was told the motor would not be ready until Christmas. I will know more after I talk to her. I also think any fundraising should be started/finished before the Holidays as we all know things do get tight.

This car HAS TO BE SAFE - for a few reasons.
  1. 914World's name is on it
  2. Her brother died in a car accident
  3. Her 20 year old daughter will drive this car at times
  4. And someone told her 914's are not safe

If the car gets put back together before we can get our crew there I still think a sanctioned safety check by someone is in order.

At a minimum I would like to see Eric's rebuilt calipers and new pads. Wheel bearings replaced at all locations. I would normally reccommend Chris Foley gas lines but her body guy ran his own new stainless front to rear already.

Your thoughts?

Thanks again for your time Friday evening. I will not talk to Mary until probably Tuesday as she is out of town with her husband on some medical follow up stuff.

+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Oct 3 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #24

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

At a minimum I would like to see Eric's rebuilt calipers and new pads. Wheel bearings replaced at all locations. I would normally reccommend Chris Foley gas lines but her body guy ran his own new stainless front to rear already.

I totally agree, and would add tie rod ends and ball joints. I had a wreck from a ball joint breaking at 50mph. not in a 914, but still..

everything sounds great guys, again, I'm sorry I missed the call.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 11 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #25

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hey Fellas, as the unofficial ambassador of the 914world (I have met most of the folks on this site now) I think I have some info you can use.

1- Mikey914 (Mark Whitesides?), I call him Mark. He LOVES to give his stuff away. He is ALWAYS giving freebies to the PNW guys. Having met him and knowing his generous nature, he would be down with hooking Mary up. I have also been working with him on ideas for our cars and he is like the rest of the good vendors, low cost + high quality = longevity.

2- Eric Shea is another one that I have worked with for a loooooong time. He is a very wonderful and HUMBLE human being. He would be glad to hook Mary up as well. Ask and ye shall receive.

3- AA. Having spent the whole day there now and being around George, I think I get it. George may actually have Aspurgers in a mild form. He is very flat, hard to read, always looks annoyed and has trouble understanding emotion and conveying it. Interesting from a psychological/medical back ground. This being said, he is now learned in the comradery that we share on World. This seems new to him. His bay was fool of over 20 members that were giving parts to other members in help and helping members with work. These members had not met one another ever in real life and they were so close nit. It perplexed George enough that he mentioned so in the Atl clinic thread. I bring this up because he may be more amenable to hooking us up. He hooked this clinic up with space, time, tools, 4 meals and discounted parts and no one asked him to. He is also not asking for anything in return. Just an idea. As charity workers we can not look a gift horse in the mouth so long as it is ethical.

Mt $.29
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 11 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 10 2009, 11:30 PM) *

Hey Fellas, as the unofficial ambassador of the 914world (I have met most of the folks on this site now) I think I have some info you can use.

1- Mikey914 (Mark Whitesides?), I call him Mark. He LOVES to give his stuff away. He is ALWAYS giving freebies to the PNW guys. Having met him and knowing his generous nature, he would be down with hooking Mary up. I have also been working with him on ideas for our cars and he is like the rest of the good vendors, low cost + high quality = longevity.

2- Eric Shea is another one that I have worked with for a loooooong time. He is a very wonderful and HUMBLE human being. He would be glad to hook Mary up as well. Ask and ye shall receive.

3- AA. Having spent the whole day there now and being around George, I think I get it. George may actually have Aspurgers in a mild form. He is very flat, hard to read, always looks annoyed and has trouble understanding emotion and conveying it. Interesting from a psychological/medical back ground. This being said, he is now learned in the comradery that we share on World. This seems new to him. His bay was fool of over 20 members that were giving parts to other members in help and helping members with work. These members had not met one another ever in real life and they were so close nit. It perplexed George enough that he mentioned so in the Atl clinic thread. I bring this up because he may be more amenable to hooking us up. He hooked this clinic up with space, time, tools, 4 meals and discounted parts and no one asked him to. He is also not asking for anything in return. Just an idea. As charity workers we can not look a gift horse in the mouth so long as it is ethical.

Mt $.29

Thanks Mike. All good points. I agree 100%, especially with utilizing vendors willing to help. We should have another conference call so that we can fully bring everyone up to speed on Mary's position, action items, timeline and deliverables.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:55 AM