Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 Post Lift Question, Can I engine drop?
TROJANMAN
post Sep 30 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #21

Looks nice in pictures.........

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 29 2009, 08:38 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 2 post is best for actual "work"

Ferg

As opposed to buying a lift just to clean your car all the time......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/FERG.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Sep 30 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

The rails on my lift aren't movable. But I'm sure you could unbolt them, drill a few new holes and slide them out more if you needed.

I just went out and measured some more. The bottom of my rails are L shaped on the bottom so that part of the opening is 39.5" The lip made by the L shape holds the sliding Jack Tray. The top of the rail that the tire sits on is about 44.5" wide.
I just measured the inside wheelbase on my 914. {14" fuch and 185 tires and it measures just over 48" So there is not a lot more you can spread the rails on a stock wheel and tire car.
The 4 post serves my needs well, and like I said, I wanted to free up an extra bay in the garage so I can park in out of the snow in the winter. Working on the car was a plus side to that. I personally feel more secure with all that weight suspended up on 4 posts. Maybe I'm paranoid... Then again, I do have my wife park her 911 under it in the winter.
Another deciding factor in my situation is that I know my cement floor is only 3.5" thick at the most. and so far..... there is no issue with that.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 1 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Update, I talked with a fellow 914 owner that has a BendPak HD-9 with adjustable rails. He said he has no problem dropping his engine when they are spread wider than 36" and is still able to drop when they are at 36" (just takes some more work). Thanks to all for the details and opinions!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 06:01 AM