Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Carb linkage for /4 engines- RAT "Accu-Link", Another approach for the solution of a long time issue.
Jake Raby
post Oct 1 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

This is a sneak peek of the new cable linkage system that we have been working to complete for quite a while now.. Available (SOON!) for carburetors or our "Extrudabody" EFI throttle bodies.

Attached Image

These pics are of the first fitment of the new arrangement onto a pair of EMPI HPMX carbs on our display fixture. There are several changes necessary, but for a first mock up and fitment the system worked better than we'd imagine. The final kit will have all anodized parts, full hardware and etc included along with an installation DVD produced by yours truly.

There have been efforts by others to complete a system like this,(some with great results) but to date nothing has been universally applicable or commercially available using this method of actuation and synchronization. There has also not been an attempt made to replace the OEM throttle cable all the way to the throttle pedal.

The difference in this system is that the permanently lubricated sheathed cables will replace the ENTIRE throttle cable arrangement all the way to the pedal. This will be accomplished with a system thats comprised of one primary cable from the pedal to an intermediate link housing that will tie both cables together. The high quality, multi-role intermediate link will also have the adjustment and return spring for the arrangement in a combined unit.

The intermediate link will reside above the transaxle and will triple as a quick disconnection point should the service of the engine/ carbs need to be carried out. This intermediate link is one bad ass, yet VERY SIMPLE part!

The secondary cable couples to the primary cable via the intermediate link then travels around a billet cam on the "lead" carburetor/ throttle body. This cable then continues through another sheathed cable to the "slave" throttle body/ Carburetor.

The benefits of the cable system are numerous.. I personally like the lightweight yet very robust construction coupled to the fact that it omits the factory throttle cable and replaces it all with new much stronger parts. It's also easy to custom tailor pedal feel and throttle actuation with adjustments made to the cams and cable tensions.

I have been "over" Hex bar linkage systems and their inherent issues for years.. Bellcrank systems have proven to be expensive and can be problematic with engines that have greater expansion levels as their synchronization is effected as the engine "grows". With this system is doesn't matter how much the engine expands the cables retain their tension.

This is the smoothest and most accurate means of carburetor actuation I have experienced to date.
Here are some features:
-Universally applicable for all Weber IDF/ EMPI HPMX and Dellorto DRLA applications for the Type 1, Type 4 or Porsche 356 engine!! The same kit can fit all these different engines! The same kit can also fir a Type 3 or Type 4 engine using these carburetors with the stock pancake cooling system.

-With very slight changes this same kit can actuate a set of 48 IDAs on any of the above engines as well.

-High quality billet throttle cams allow for easy adjustment of the system for various pedal arrangements

-The entire stock throttle cable is removed and replaced with the "accu-link" components

-The intermediate link allows for ease of adjustment, a quick disconnection point, coupling of the primary and secondary cables and a redundant throttle return spring all in one self contained, snap together housing.

- The sheathed cables are adjustable in 7 different locations for ease of tuning the system to the vehicle, driver and carburetors.

-Engine width and expansion will not alter carburetor/ throttle body actuation or synchronization at all.

- Very light carb return springs are able to be used due to the ease of actuation and the slippery sheathed cables. This allows for a nice pedal feel without giving up snappy throttle action

-Carburetor throttle shaft bearings/ bushings will see reduced loads and will live longer.

- No mechanical parts to wear out like ball sockets and heim joints/ spherical bearings. When the cables begin to stretch the adjustment can be made to them in 7 different places throught the arrangement. Spare cables can be sold for pennies to keep in the glove box..

- No heavy mechanical linkages to attach to the throttle shafts and transmit harmonics to the throttle shafts, thus chattering the accelerator pumps making them dribble fuel down the intakes.. This is a tuning issue that many people fight and do not even realize it.

- Its different! As different as a DTM cooling system or a big bore Type 4!

-Its also going to be very cost effective with all parts (except the throttle intermediate link) made in the USA including the cables, billet throttle cams and etc. The throttle intermediate link is made in Germany and has been proven in the 24 hours of Le Man as recently as this past June :-)

And as of today the Patent pending processes have been initiated!

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 1 2009, 11:19 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Oct 1 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #2

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Member No.: 10,389
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That stainless braid looks so badass and gangster as well.

It screams business and function.

Wait the entire actual steel internal cable is coated with something as well?

So this pretty much beats a terry cable up as well. I was not terribly impressed with my terry cable, it actually is not as slippery as a gemo with lube was until I broke the gemo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

My theory for that was the lack of plastic sheathing and the little bit of play in the cable allows it to touch the inside of the cable tube.
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Oct 1 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #3

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

I want one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I am still puzzling over my hex bar set up.

John
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Oct 1 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,880

Any ideas on cost yet? I would seriously consider it, if its cost effective.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 1 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

These are non compressable sheaths.. The cable is very slick and coated.

The throttle action is very smooth and light even with finger actuation..

I first was exposed to this set up with our Boxster throttle bodies and an adaptation to the aircooled set up was a natural evolution :-)
Cost?? Nope, no idea yet- I don't worry about cost until it works.

Believe it or not it'll be cost effective, especially because this same set up can be used for Type 1, Type 4 and 356 engines in any car as a single arrangement.. That means higher volumes and standardized parts.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 1 2009, 11:50 AM
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 1 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #6

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Seems way too simple.
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Oct 1 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #7

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Member No.: 10,389

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 1 2009, 09:48 AM) *

These are non compressable sheaths.. The cable is very slick and coated.

The throttle action is very smooth and light even with finger actuation..

I first was exposed to this set up with our Boxster throttle bodies and an adaptation to the aircooled set up was a natural evolution :-)
Cost?? Nope, no idea yet- I don't worry about cost until it works.

Believe it or not it'll be cost effective, especially because this same set up can be used for Type 1, Type 4 and 356 engines in any car as a single arrangement.. That means higher volumes and standardized parts.

This totally rules.

Sounds like the carb guys have a solution that ends any linkage issues finally.

I am probably going to move to this once the time comes as well if I don't end up with some standalone e-gas solution.

Speaking of Jake, any word on your standalone e-gas drive by wire stuff for type IV's?

Megasquirt is only slightly better than l-jet or any other system.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 1 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Engine Surgeon

Speaking of Jake, any word on your standalone e-gas drive by wire stuff for type IV's?

The ECU is in my 912E now... I need to download a new software package before I test it further as now they've tweaked the adaptive resolution and have added the ability to tune via bluetooth.

I'll be using it along with this linkage and the extrudabody throttle bodies in our double cab..
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 1 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #9

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Great work Jake! This is long overdue.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Oct 1 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #10

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

this looks great, Jake! be sure and let us know when they are available!
+Quote Post
jmill
post Oct 1 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #11

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I like it. Beats the heck out of anything I've seen. The only question I have is where is the idle stop?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 1 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #12

Engine Surgeon

Throttle idle stop is on the opposite side of the carburetor....
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Oct 1 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

looks like my dirtbike set-up ! cool !
+Quote Post
flipb
post Oct 1 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,752

I might wait to convert my 2.0 from single Weber progressive until this kit is available.

Hear that, Jake? No pressure, but the sooner you get this kit available, the sooner another single-carb gets demolished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 1 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

Can **I** demolish the single carb??

LOL.. I got a new Saiga 12 and I am dying for a to end the life of a progressive!
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Oct 1 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #16

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

Why must you continue to taunt me with products I need... err, want? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 1 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #17

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Oct 1 2009, 02:34 PM) *

Why must you continue to taunt me with products I need... err, want? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

To stimulate the economy!
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 1 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #18

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Could this work on other throttle body setups as well? TWM for example?

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 1 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

With mods I am sure it could...
The TWMs have really gone down hill lately though.
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Oct 1 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #20

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Jake :

We expect nothing but the " Best" from you. And you have delivered

again. Next thing you will do is a billet type 4 ,that you personally will carve

out of a chunk of Alum. Just keep getting better. Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:15 PM