Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So JP, what do you think?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
According to UPS.com, the bearings should be on your Porch awaiting installation on your Porsche smile.gif

Mueller
J P Stein
Saw the box on the front porch as I got back form takin' the wife to the hospital.....not TOO serious, I hope....anyhew, I kicked it the door and there it sits.
Heading out again in bout 5 minutes.
Mueller
hope everything is okay..........take care of the wife first...the car can wait.........

Mueller
J P Stein
We're back. The wife is workin' on passing kidney stones while I'm playing on the puter. Best I can help is try to keep her comfortable........drugs is gud. We agree that getin' old sux.

I looked in the box....ayup, look like the pics.....now we gots to see if they fit. I assume (since directions are not included) that the O rings are for the exposed ends of the bearings..EH?

Gonna work on it this weekend, assuming the wife gets past this pain30.gif .....that sucker got here just in time.

You didn't tell me where to send money.....does that mean they're free?
Gint
I've never met her JP, but if she puts up with you... she's gotta be worth a fortune. Please give her my best. I hope it all works out OK.
bernbomb914
Could the wife be suffering pangs from all the 914ers that invaded her castle, that she had to cook for, that she had to clean up after? All you guys that attended the great NW party should send flowers to the Mrs. to show your gratitude for all the slaving she did over a hot stove. to feed you all that good food. :flower:

Bernbomb
J P Stein
I got to play some with the goodies this morning .Actual
fondling made me appreciate the expense involved in making them.

The only bits that worry me are the thrust washers/bearings and their interface with the thrust faces on the A arms. I already know that the thrust faces of the A arms are not perpendicular to the shafts so they are gonna ride on the high spot/s. Could be some wear issues here. I'll pre-load them as much as "feels" right.

Having said that, I'll use them anyhow but keep an eye on em for end play.

As a last resort, one could cut the poly bushing thrust section off the rest of the bushing and use that.....so I won't be throwing them away.
Mueller
JP, on my one set of a-arms i have here in the office, I can measure less than .005" worth of gap between the face of the needle bearing housing and the face that is perp. to the needle axis.

With very (a few pounds at most) little pressure holding the assembly up against this surface, in only a few spots can I slide a piece of paper (an amazingly accurate and repeatable .003") between said surface and the gold colored housing or the thrust washers. I tried this along the entire radial mating surface on both sides with the same results.

The thrust washers will "float" at this surface to make up for any angular differance (up to 2 or 3° I'd venture and if you are that far off the arm is bent)

As a customer I understand your worries....as a friend, I'd say don't worry about and throw these puppies on smile.gif

Remember, these parts are made on CNC machinery....our 914's had been assembled by beer drinking Germans beerchug.gif

Mike Mueller
J P Stein
I agree that the A arms are not precision peices (as your bits are). The rubber was meant to take up the slack.
I'll put them together and get out the feeler gages....it'll be easier than adjustng valves. The roller brgs in the thrust bearings seem to have a bit of movement, side to side, and may self adjust for the run out.

You work for Snap On and the best you can come up with is paper?

At any rate, I'm ready to fit em.smash.gif

The camera is ready, also. Prolly have something for ya Saturday evening.
Mueller
Snap-On?

Not me, that is Jon Watts and he's a software geek blink.gif

Hey, the paper trick works....it's good for setting up an operation on the mill or lathe also.....

I look forward to seeing your comments on 'em....

Thanks,

Mike
Brad Roberts
JP.

You do need to "pre-load" them slightly. As your tightening down the front holder (the one with the slots) use the other hand (and some kind of tool) to pry against the front cup while tightening one of the holder bolts.

If you dont.. the control arm can and will move back and forth.

B
Mueller
This is true with the poly bushings as well......

Hey B, didn't you once say that the first time you really nail the brakes the whole suspension will move forward half the time on a new bushing (rubber or whatever) installation?

I thought I read it someplace.
Brad Roberts
Yep. Its pretty scary. IF you dont preload them.. a racer can feel the suspension move the first time they jump on the binders hard for the first time.

Then.. we go back and re-tighten everything.

B
J P Stein
Brad:

You didn't notice the bar clamps hanging on the wall of my shop, eh?.......we can pre-load the snot out of em.

The poly bushings are in & done, but out they come.

I can hardly smash.gif wait.
Brad Roberts
You wont be disappointed. I personally am disappointed that you wont know the difference between poly and roller. You never got a chance to run the poly.

While yanking apart the FP suspension yesterday.. Ron's plastic bushings where stuck the to control arms... Even after having the control arms free the bushings creeked as I checked them up and down.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.