Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When rebuilding your transmission, DO NOT forget....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jakeodoule
To tighten the pinion shaft nut..the one under the speedo drive.
I either did not tighten it or it came loose.
Apon removing the gearbox I could not turn the output shafts by hand. They were that tight.

Here is the bad:
most of gear stack ok, maybe 1 gear got beat up

R@P trashed.

Here is the good:
I found out how cool and willing to help people are on this forum.

Call webster I created some new cuss words.

I Found out RedLine gear oil is not the right oil for our gearboxes. Lucky for me I found out before it trashed my gearbox av-943.gif

I am reminded again how lucky I am to have a lift.

Nobody else who have read this post, is going to leave this nut loose.

I'm very lucky I only went about 3 miles and was going slowly to check things out.

Click to view attachment
ring damage

Click to view attachment
pinion? Damage

Click to view attachment
Gear stack damage
Cupomeat
Yuck, what specifically happened? Did the nut come lose and then ripped into peices all the while killing the gears?

Also a picture of that "nut" for us ignorant ones would be awesome.

Thanks
Jakeodoule
Nut that came loose...
Its the black one.
With this loose the gap between the R&P is no longer controlled.
And they are allowed to come in contact to each other. There really was no chunks in the oil when I drained it. Just a little metalic looking.
Not sure how the gears on the stack got damaged. I would guess when the R&P was binding it put extra side pressure on the shaft and then those gears rubbed each other the wrong way.
Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Many future gearboxes thank you for the warning. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Good luck with getting it fixed.

John
Cupomeat
Ah, thanks, I was thinking directionally "under" the speedo drive which put it on the intermediate plate, below the gear which didn't make any sense. Now it makes complete sense.

Thanks for the help!
moordi
I'm really sorry to hear that, man.

Fortunately, you have the workspace and knowledge to repair the damage, but that's probably small comfort at this point.

Dave
Dr Evil
Bolt, not nut. Damn. I remember tightening it, it was the last stack I did. Very odd. I must be remembering incorrectly. Luckily, this is not going to be a too big of a deal to fix. What I think would be the best bet would be to send me that gear stack so I can harvest the parts from it, and the gear stack from your new core so I can do the transplant, then I will send you back the correct rebuilt unit to install and be happy with (on my dime of course). You will need to reseal that new case so I will send you a kit and instructions if you dont remember the little tricks I taught you form the clinic.

Lesson learned: From now on I will be doing QA on all bolts and nuts on the stack before it is certified (me doing the check, no assuming that someone else did it). I will have a check sheet for the next clinics to make sure that mistakes are not made. Between you and Eric that is 2 too many. sad.gif
montoya 73 2.0
no way dude! IIRC, I was right there when you tightened that bolt. We even had to look around for the "Evil" tool. I'm getting scared now for mine? I haven't installed it yet. dry.gif biggrin.gif

Edit: Wasn't the last stack Larry (Larouex)? he had to go back and get his trailer from the campgrounds. I'm pretty sure I remember that cause he was using that welding table for a work station.
aircooledtechguy
WOW!! That really sucks.

Good thing you got that Redline out of there or you could have had a real problem on your hands. . . lol-2.gif

If you need any parts I have a couple left overs.

Dr Evil
The bolt must not have been tightened. John and I talked and I am taking care of him smile.gif

My alternative hypothesis is that the GL4 Redline caused the bolt to loosen and come out. Ya, that sounds good, er, removes all responsibility from me wink.gif
Dr Evil
Drew, man up! 98% of the time my rebuilds are right all the time biggrin.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2009, 02:33 PM) *

Lesson learned: From now on I will be doing QA on all bolts and nuts on the stack before it is certified (me doing the check, no assuming that someone else did it). I will have a check sheet for the next clinics to make sure that mistakes are not made. Between you and Eric that is 2 too many. sad.gif

Dr. Don't beat yourself up too much here. You adjusted my forks after over 12 hours of work, and we were all tired.

BTW: It only took THOMAS about 10 minutes to adjust and tighten the shifter fork. Since then I have put a couple of hundred miles on my car, and it shifts beautifully.

I posted some pics on Sunday that I took over the weekend driving Mulholland Drive. Again, my thanks!!!

Eric Read
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2009, 03:22 PM) *

Drew, man up! 98% of the time my rebuilds are right all the time biggrin.gif

I'm going to install it after I remove the motor and do a little house cleaning in the engine bay! To busy getting the house and yard ready for winter. It had already snowed here this past weekend. I trust you Doc! It's just my bottle of vodka looks a little emptier than I first thought! confused24.gif I may have drank more than I previously admitted too, to busy having fun and working biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Ah, its not IF you make mistakes, rather it is WHAT you do afterward smile.gif So far nothing insurmountable, just preventable PITAs.
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2009, 03:41 PM) *

Ah, its not IF you make mistakes, rather it is WHAT you do afterward smile.gif So far nothing insurmountable, just preventable PITAs.

I would agree, And thank Mike for the way he has handled this. He is going way past what I feel he needs to to take care of this.

I feel it was ALL MY fault not his. This was a clinic on how to do YOUR trani. Not have someone do it for you. I was just a dumbass and was not paying enough attention to what I was doing. I prolly got a bit distracted right in the middle of finishing my stack., running around being host and helping folks with torches and tools and whatnot. The 3am hangover prolly didn't help any either. Shit happens.
Thanks to Mike for the helping me take care of my F-up.
Next summer when I am bang'n gears I'll have forgot all about it.
Cheers and maybe I'll see you next weekend, Dammit, I have to ride my Ducati.

montoya 73 2.0

Damn gremlins! I hate those sombitches! They get me all the time. your still the man Doc!!!! even if you do use all three toilet paper rolls in one night! lol-2.gif

poke.gif
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 6 2009, 04:34 PM) *

Damn gremlins! I hate those sombitches! They get me all the time. your still the man Doc!!!! even if you do use all three toilet paper rolls in one night! lol-2.gif

poke.gif

That still amazes me!! The crew went through almost 5 rolls of butt wipe in 2 days!!!
Thats allot of bullshit stromberg.gif I might have to look into getting my septic tank pumped... huh.gif
Dr Evil
It wasnt me! I was the victim here. When I went for my 10th or 11th shit I found that it was all gone.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2009, 06:55 PM) *

It wasnt me! I was the victim here. When I went for my 10th or 11th shit I found that it was all gone.

Wasn't you. It was the atomic buffalo turds. My fault. They MADE you do it.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 6 2009, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2009, 06:55 PM) *

Wasn't you. It was the atomic buffalo turds. My fault. They MADE you do it.

Can't forget the clams, louisiana hot links, ribs, corn and the waffles! All that was one hell of a gutt check!
Dr Evil
fiber is good. pain30.gif pain30.gif pain30.gif pain30.gif pain30.gif stromberg.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.