Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to remove gaskets?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I have got some intake and exaust gaskets that have decided they want to be permantly attached - in one instance I honestly could not tell that there was a gasket attached to one surface as it was SO tight.
Any tricks you would reccommend so I dont score the surface?

Thanks!!
-S
Sleepin
I usually hit them with carb cleaner then take them off very carefully with a razorblade.
VaccaRabite
carb cleaner and a dental type pick. Or a largeish diameter sewing needle bent at a right angle and held with plyers. Or a flat bladed jewlers screwdriver.

Zach
URY914
Once removed I use some steel wool to get the final traces of resdue off.
IronHillRestorations
I use a Craftsman gasket scraper. The scraping edge isn't so sharp it cuts into the metal, but it removes the gasket.
jmill
Dental picks are hardened and they snap if your not carefull. I have a nice pick set from snap-on that works great. I'm sure there are cheaper sets out there.
Scott S
Thanks all -
I have a sears close by the office - Perry just gave me an excuse to hit the tool section.

Perry, if a 303 area code pops up on your phone, dont pick it up - it may be my angry wife.........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.