Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Restoration?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Anybody ever done a thread on total dash restoration...top cap...face...knee pad...the whole thing? Haynes doesn't have anything I can see about removing the dash top, and I couldn't find anything in the search here. My dash, the face itself, seems to have a thin metal "veneeer" of sorts...is that stock?
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 6 2009, 12:31 PM) *

Anybody ever done a thread on total dash restoration...top cap...face...knee pad...the whole thing? Haynes doesn't have anything I can see about removing the dash top, and I couldn't find anything in the search here. My dash, the face itself, seems to have a thin metal "veneeer" of sorts...is that stock?

Click this.

Dash top removal
kenshapiro2002
Thanks. Mine will be somewhat different because I don't have vents (1970), but I should be able to figure it out.

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 6 2009, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 6 2009, 12:31 PM) *

Click this.

Dash top removal

tat2dphreak
My dash, the face itself, seems to have a thin metal "veneeer" of sorts...is that stock?

yep
there's a thin metal, that is covered by the basetweave. I removed it on mine. I originally was going to go metal dash(above the cap too) but decided against it, but I plan on leaving the face painted hammerite. (see my blog) I can post some other pics too, now that I have the dash top on(not the cap yet.) this is morph's top-dash kit, btw. 914ap.com ftw!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
kenshapiro2002
Pleeeeease post more pictures. Gitta go try to find your blog now. Happy with the dash top kit?

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 6 2009, 05:06 PM) *

My dash, the face itself, seems to have a thin metal "veneeer" of sorts...is that stock?

yep
there's a thin metal, that is covered by the basetweave. I removed it on mine. I originally was going to go metal dash(above the cap too) but decided against it, but I plan on leaving the face painted hammerite. (see my blog) I can post some other pics too, now that I have the dash top on(not the cap yet.) this is morph's top-dash kit, btw. 914ap.com ftw!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

kenshapiro2002
Found the blog and the pics. LOVE the one of the girl pulling her pants up the best.

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 6 2009, 07:32 PM) *

Pleeeeease post more pictures. Gitta go try to find your blog now. Happy with the dash top kit?

yep

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

kenshapiro2002
How does the dash top install? Is it just the vinyl with foam backing? Do you need to cut it or is it pre-cut? Does it wrap around something or just glue down to the dash itself?

yep

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

tat2dphreak
am I happy with it? happy doesn't cover it smile.gif
the kit is mostly pre-cut, I just had to notch where screw holes are and trim behind the gauges... it's 2 pieces, a high quality foam, very nice feel and the vinyl is as supple as real leather, nicer than stock, imo. the dash vents are pre-cut so the install was pretty easy.

I used a small putty knife that is bent, used that to get it up under the seal smoothand just worked it to where it wraps behind the dash. then lifted it up a little bit at a time and sprayed 3m 80 spray adhesive, then smoothed it out from the windshield back...

btw, if you think these look good, wait til you see the door panels biggrin.gif all courtesy of morph at 914ap.com his work is STELLAR!

kenshapiro2002
How does the thin metal "veneer" attach to the dash after it's covered with vinyl?
tat2dphreak
that part doesn't have a veneer... the face does where the radio and heat mounts... that was the veneer I meant..

when I took that part out there was thin strips of some heavy duty double-sided tape that held it there from the factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.