Full Version: cutting out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tman914
I have a 1974 914 with a 2.0 D-Jet fuel injeted

I'm running a crane ingion system Its cutting out at 3000 or so rpms
when driveing it , what to look for ?

and take it easy on the miss spell words driving.gif driving.gif
r_towle
cuts out all together? or does it skip a little and then pick up after 3200 rpms?

If it goes fine after 3200 rpm, it may be your Throttle position switch is dirty and needs to be opened up and cleaned with di-electric cleaner and a tooth brush....a 15 minute fix.

If it cuts out at 3k all together...your crane optical unit is dead or dying...get points and a condensor

Rich
Ferg
or your advancing plates are sticking... check those as well.
Tman914
I will take a look at throttle position switch the crane is new
should have stuck with the points set up and should I just get a new disturbitor, becuase the plate is missing where the points ride on .
Tman914
ok I will check the advance plates so I need to pull the disturbitor out to do this right ?
r_towle
QUOTE(Tman914 @ Oct 6 2009, 04:17 PM) *

I will take a look at throttle position switch the crane is new
should have stuck with the points set up and should I just get a new disturbitor, becuase the plate is missing where the points ride on .

What is missing?

Take off the cover and rotor and crane...
Take a pic of the insides....lets see what you have.

Rich
Ferg
Are talking a stock dizzy? 050 or similar?

Not sure what you mean when you say the plate is missing, if the plate that the points screw into is missing, how did you mount the crane unit?

Ferg
Tman914
I' ll check it out to make sure its there and I will take a pic of it when I get home tonight
Tman914
ok here are the pic and the braker plate is there I dont know what I was thinking just piss that its cutting out , but should be a wire / ground wire from plate to plate
its missing

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tman914
ok so I also clean the Throttle position switch a little was pretty clean any way put it back together and drove it ,now when i shift into third at
about 4500 rpms getting on it a little ( second to third ) it will cut out not bad but noticeable do you think the wieghts are sticking in the disturbitor ?
Ferg
Those look pretty rusty, and it does appear that you are missing the ground.
I'd check that they are moving freely and clean them up as best ou can.

Ferg
Tman914
I stuck a vacuum gauge on the vacuum advance on both side of it and it moved But ya your right I'm going to remove it completly and take it apart and clean it .
Now is there any thing I should watch for when I remove the disturbitor ? and how I tell if it a stock dizzy 050 ?
And should I solder in a ground wire is that necassary, considering that
the braker plates are touching each other ?
Tman914
by the way whats the best replacement Distributor out there ?
Ferg
Removing is no biggie, only two ways it can go in, right and wrong, so just make a mental note of where it's pointing so you don't reinstall 180 off.

Also the top bolt that holds it in place has a washer, extra care to not drop either down the hole during removal. I also put a rag in the hole, as I'm super scared I'm going to knock something down there. Not uncommon to have mystery washers and or bolts floating around in that region.

Mallory makes the best Dizzy replacement. As far as yours, you should be able to pull the bosch # off it when pulled and look it up.

Ferg
Tman914
cool thanks for your help & I'll check it this week clean it up and stuff
also who sells that Mallory
r_towle
If you have stock FI, you need to stick with the Bosch distributor.
I suppose you could use a mallory with Ljet FI...never heard of it, but I bet it would work.

first and cheapest.....pull the distributor out of the motor and CLEAN the insides. You cant possibly get the car tuned with that much rust on the advance plates.
You can contact Capn Crusty here, or Otto's Venice....both of them probably have rebuilt new shiny bosch distributors...Otto's typically has a few on the shelf.

AA may also have a few ready to ship.

Call around, Capn, Otto's, AA and get comparative pricing.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.