Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rolling fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jenny
Can someone give me a play by play on how this is done? I just realized I should do this before they start painting it. Thanks!

Jen
ChrisReale
Put bat between tire and fender and roll car back and forth. You are trying to fold the "lip" of the fender flat.
Jenny
Thanks. So fender doesn't change shape, just the lip? Instead of pointing straight down, the lip will be pointed sideways? Does anyone have pics of their rolled fenders?

Jen
ChrisReale
If you want to change the shape, you have to JP Stein it and hit the shit outta it with a ball pean hammer. The lip is like a 90 degree angle, and you want to fold it flat. I cant describe it better, sorry.
Jenny
That's alright, Chris. I appreciat the help. You're the only one responding.

Jen
Dave_Darling
Well, most normal folks are either sleeping or partying at this point in the evening...

One thing done with the "rolling" is indeed mashing the fender lip flat. But you can also use it to pull the fender outward a bit. That is often done with several sizes of PVC pipe, starting with the smaller ones and ending up with the larger-diameter ones. If you go very far, the lower edges of the fender will pull up and in, and people will notice if they look hard. If you go really far, people won't have to look hard to see that...

--DD
airsix
Jenny,
You can use a ball bat or PVC pipe works well too. If you look under the stock fender lip you will see it's folded toward the tire at a 90 degree angle to the side of the fender (so the edge is facing the tire). When you roll the fenders you are bending that lip up under so that it will be pointing up and away from the tire. Take it gentle - it's easy to tweak the fender lip. You don't want to end up needing body work in addition to paint prep. Even doing this carefully will chip most of the paint off the lip of the fenderwell. You'll have to prep it before painting.

Regarding techinique... try to keep the bat or pvc pipe almost vertical. Don't LIFT it in an attempt to pry the fender away from the tire. That will make the edge of the fender lip bend out away from the tire and it'lll look like Sally Field's hat in the flying nun. Also, DON"T push down against the tire too hard or with too much length of bat/pipe inside the fender or the end will press outward against the inside of the fender and you'll get a small crease or paint cracking several inches above the fender lip where the edge of the bat/pipe is pushing against it. As you roll the bat/pipe across the tire you want a lot of contact area between the bat/pipe and the fender to spread out the pressure. Pushing down too hard puts all the pressure up high at the end of the bat/pipe and lifting up puts all the pressure right at the lip. Gotta spread it out.

Don't try to do it all at once. Make several passes starting with a thin section of bat and progressively roll thicker sections across until you achieve the desired effect. If you start right off trying to heave a thick section through you might get stuck part way across and end up with a mess. I like to use something like 3 sizes of pvc pipe. I start with the small one and stop when It's flared enough. Also, the pvc is soft and flexible, which helps.

Hope that gives you something to go on.

-Ben M.

ps - what's your brother Jeff up to? Does he ever drop by here? Haven't heard from him for ever.
Jenny
What, Ben, no diagrams? laugh.gif Seriously, thanks for the detailed description. Makes a bit more sense now. I can't wait to have it done and show it off to everyone.

I'm so excited!!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Jen
Jenny
QUOTE(airsix @ Mar 14 2004, 12:09 AM)
what's your brother Jeff up to? Does he ever drop by here? Haven't heard from him for ever.

That makes two of us (that haven't heard from him in forever.) Best to ask Aaron (Aufaber) about what Jeff's been up to. 914 runs, but not well. After chewing thru three motors, he's getting ready to sell his MR2 and buy a tow vehicle. And he's playing with his Motorcycle (Yamaha R1)

He doesn't bother checking on rennlist or any BBS's. His server recently took a crap, and from the way it sounds, he's fine with it. No email contact whatsoever. How do you get ahold of someone if you can't reach them by email?!?!?! blink.gif

Jen
Brad Roberts
Jenny.. dont do this.

We will use a hammer and dolly to flatten the inside lip before paint/body work.

The bat method can cause a crease in the fenderwell that runs up and down directly above the tire.

B
Bleyseng
This is what you want to do, have a bodyman pound out the lip like ChrisR is doing here.
When I finally got my AX tires mounted on cookies I didn't have time to do it right so I strenched the rear fenders using a old shock. The lip ate PVC pipe I had plus I was trying to pull the fender out so the tire wouldn't hit inside the fender. Worked good, but I still need to fix it right this spring.

Geoff
Jenny
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 14 2004, 01:53 AM)
Jenny.. dont do this.

We will use a hammer and dolly to flatten the inside lip before paint/body work.

Thanks wub.gif It's really nice knowing I've got people watching out and taking care of me.

Jen
Bleyseng
It helps if you have pulled a gun on them, lots of people will do what you say then!

Geoff
seanery
are those guns (M1 and ar15) legal in the peoples republik of kalifornia?
Jenny
the AR was a pre-ban purchase. ar15.gif

And the M1 Garand is competely legal to own/buy/trade in Cali. He's got the Carbine as well. Garand is too heavy for me to hold & shoot, and the Carbine is somewhat of a relic, and we don't put rounds thru that one anymore. sad.gif

Jen
John Kelly
The method Brad will use and the base ball bat also have the extra benefit of putting a slight bulge in the fender because you are making the very inside edge of the flange try to cover a longer distance (think of the edge as a piece of string) which it can only do if you actually stretch (thin the metal). Since it can not get much thinner without a lot of hammer and dolly work it bulges the panel a little. Almost like a draw string. It will shorten the front to back measurement of the wheel opening slightly. Another thing to try is cutting the rear fender brace and pulling out a little on the bottom rear to see if this has any benefit. Caution: It will pull forward on the rear valance. You can always weld the brace back in its original location if it doesn't help.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Gint
QUOTE(Bleyseng Posted on Mar 14 2004 @ 07:44 AM )
This is what you want to do, have a bodyman pound out the lip like ChrisR is doing here.

Fantastic pic Geoff.
jonwatts
QUOTE(Jenny @ Mar 14 2004, 01:20 PM)
the AR was a pre-ban purchase. ar15.gif

And the M1 Garand is competely legal to own/buy/trade in Cali. He's got the Carbine as well. Garand is too heavy for me to hold & shoot, and the Carbine is somewhat of a relic, and we don't put rounds thru that one anymore. sad.gif

Jen

blink.gif
seanery
what about taking your cutoff wheel and doing slits in the lip before bending them?
Will they split and tear?
red914
the M1 Garand has to be one of the finest service rifles of all time. that, and the M1903 and the M14. awe inspiring pieces... oh, and add the BAR to the list as well.
seanery
since we're staying OT a bit, I like the AUG.
jonwatts
Jenny, what's the status of yer car's paint and body work?
Bleyseng
The Pink paint is coming along nicely I heard...........
jonwatts
::shudder::

I went by Tony the Fabricator's shop today to check on my car and he has part of a 962 body resting on it. Normally that would be way cool but except this one is pink. I just didn't like the idea of anything pink humping my car.
campbellcj
On my car "we" (I supervised, a body shop guy did the real work) did a quick-and-dirty job but a combination of dowels and 2x4's were used IIRC. No baseball bats... This was not only flattening the fender lips but also pulling the fenders out. The implements were not moved much, rather the car was rocked/rolled back and forth, using the tire as a fulcrum point.

It came out pretty decently, keeping in mind this is a track car. On a street car I would definitely do real metalwork like John Kelly's (or JP's) hammer-and-dolly flares, if I were repainting the car anyway. My car had recently been repainted and wasn't/isn't gonna get repsprayed anytime soon...
Jenny
Haven't heard back yet, which probably means nothing's happened yet. sad.gif
I had a dream I was driving my 914 last week... Just out running errands, and I ran into a bunch of 914s on a fun run. I drove with them for a bit, then I was like "Naw, I gotta turn around and get groceries/run errands."

Then last night I had a dream of my car all primered and ready for paint. I was so happy I almost cried. I can't wait... MDB2.gif

Jen
maf914
QUOTE(red914 @ Mar 14 2004, 04:47 PM)
awe inspiring pieces...  oh, and add the BAR to the list as well.

laugh.gif When I was a kid I used to watch Combat on TV. I always remember during the shoot-um-up scenes Sergeant Saunders (Vic Morrow) calling out "Kirby, bring up the B-A-R". You just knew some shit was going to happen then! laugh.gif

One of those random bits of data that somehow gets permanantly stored I guess! laugh.gif

Mike
jonwatts
QUOTE(Jenny @ Apr 5 2004, 10:09 PM)
Haven't heard back yet, which probably means nothing's happened yet. sad.gif

Drop a dime sister, make some calls.
Jenny
I always feel bad about nagging. Most women tend to nag a lot, and I can't stand it either. I'd hate to turn into one of them. I have good faith in Brandon that my car will be pretty and straight Any Day Now. wink.gif

I get feedback from Mark D. every now and then, and that's good enough for me. I'll keep everyone posted on progress as I get more info. Or Mark can feel free to post publicly to the board. Everyone's seen my car at its worst anyway. blink.gif

Jen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.