Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the dash AC unit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
Who sells a new AC under dash unit for a 74 car or do I need to get an old unit. I want to put on in my V8 car that I am building. I see this picture on Renegade site. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I know of no new ones, but you can usually find used ones. I know of a few that are local to me if you are interested. I could ship greyhound for a good price.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 6 2009, 08:47 PM) *

Who sells a new AC under dash unit for a 74 car or do I need to get an old unit. I want to put on in my V8 car that I am building. I see this picture on Renegade site. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
Click to view attachment

Daniel Lo ( dlo914 )had a nice one for sale at the last G &R swapmeet. There's a G&R coming up this month in Riverside, you might find one there.
burton73
Jim,

I take it that all I need it the in compartment head, as the rest will need to be new. New hoses to work with the new Freon. My radiator is a Renegade

Do you know how to get in touch with Daniel Lo?
tat2dphreak
:hijack:
I love the dash with the ashtray delete!
computers4kids

Bob
Click to view attachment

Bob,
I just got finished putting AC on my v8 914. I used the DPD evaporator, with new barrier hoses, modern compressor and parallel condensor....134a charged.
AC install

IPB Image
Joe Owensby
Hot rod shops sell units that work pretty well. I bought one from Southern Rods. It actually fits in pretty nice. I like the narrower version to allow for more foot room. It puts out plenty of cold air. This photo was taken during the installation, and I hadn't cleaned up the console, etc., so the car isn't as pretty as the previous post. JoeO
VOX
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 6 2009, 09:06 PM) *

Jim,

I take it that all I need it the in compartment head, as the rest will need to be new. New hoses to work with the new Freon. My radiator is a Renegade

Do you know how to get in touch with Daniel Lo?

sorry its already sold.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 6 2009, 09:24 PM) *

Bob
Bob,
I just got finished putting AC on my v8 914. I used the DPD evaporator, with new barrier hoses, modern compressor and parallel condensor....134a charged.

Mark, Who did you get to charge up your system ? How well does it work? Supply air temps?
dr914@autoatlanta.com

Bob
Click to view attachment

we have them new of course both dual condenser and single condenser. Modern look stock use r 134.
andys
For my V8 car, I'm using the Hot Rod Air under dash unit. It looks quite similar to the original unit offered for the 914 (I had a new '73 with AC), and it fits just like the original. If you're doing a V8 conversion, these units are available with heat, though it doesn't solve the defrost problem. I like that small unit Joe shows in his post; giving the passenger foot space is a nice feature.

http://www.hotrodair.com/index.cfm/page/pt...=prod/prd93.htm

Andys

burton73
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Oct 6 2009, 10:03 PM) *

Hot rod shops sell units that work pretty well. I bought one from Southern Rods. It actually fits in pretty nice. I like the narrower version to allow for more foot room. It puts out plenty of cold air. This photo was taken during the installation, and I hadn't cleaned up the console, etc., so the car isn't as pretty as the previous post. JoeO

This is the info on Joe’s head unit.

Joe, can you move the head unit over to the right a little and align the left side with the cut consul? I am worried on the room of my feet and leg. Also is there room for the passenger to have his feet in there. I got in my car with a tape measure and it does not seem like a lot at 5” tall. With 10” deep a passengers toes will just fit. How does it feel?

Hot Rod Parts
1-800-STRT-ROD
(787 - 8763)Product Description:
From Southern Air. A/C Unit only - NO HEAT. Same dimensions and output as Super Frost.Measurements are 5" tall x 10" deep x 16" wide.
Part No.: 090-00464

Price: $205.00 This price is great for new.

budman5201
HOTRODAIR.com

Here is mine, looks almost like the dpd and fits nice.

(sorry about the crappy pic, set my camera to low settings for craigslist pics)

whew! my dash looks crappy. Next project!
steveherman
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 7 2009, 10:20 AM) *

we have them new of course both dual condenser and single condenser. Modern look stock use r 134.

i tried to look for them on your website.
wow that site is hard to navigate for newbies.
can you lead me in the right direction to purchase one of these setups.
burton73
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Oct 7 2009, 05:18 PM) *

HOTRODAIR.com

Here is mine, looks almost like the dpd and fits nice.

(sorry about the crappy pic, set my camera to low settings for craigslist pics)

whew! my dash looks crappy. Next project!

$229. for the in car vent parts, the Condenser $125, Compressor $199. Dryer $72.20, Lines $100. and a bracket from Renegade ? $725-$850 plus new

Bob
bandjoey
Did a quick Google for Under Dash AC, and came up with many links for hot rod ac units. Most are in the $800-$1000 price complete, but do sell just parts. Some looked like they would fit the cabin nicely, with Left and Right side fan units to allow better foot space. Try it.
Here's one
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=4348
burton73
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 8 2009, 12:33 PM) *

Did a quick Google for Under Dash AC, and came up with many links for hot rod ac units. Most are in the $800-$1000 price complete, but do sell just parts. Some looked like they would fit the cabin nicely, with Left and Right side fan units to allow better foot space. Try it.
Here's one
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=4348

I called them and they sell just the parts!

Bob
bandjoey
Underdash - Complete System
[CAP-400HC] $910.00

Underdash Slimline Complete, Coil Right, Heat&Cool*
--------------------------------

Guess there wasn't enough action but they're still on their web site. If you get the under the dash unit, looks like you can piece together the rest from many places. Let us know...Im thinking about the same thing. Bill
Joe Owensby
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 7 2009, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Oct 6 2009, 10:03 PM) *

This is the info on Joe’s head unit.

Joe, can you move the head unit over to the right a little and align the left side with the cut consul? I am worried on the room of my feet and leg. Also is there room for the passenger to have his feet in there. I got in my car with a tape measure and it does not seem like a lot at 5” tall. With 10” deep a passengers toes will just fit. How does it feel?

Hot Rod Parts
1-800-STRT-ROD
(787 - 8763)Product Description:
From Southern Air. A/C Unit only - NO HEAT. Same dimensions and output as Super Frost.Measurements are 5" tall x 10" deep x 16" wide.
Part No.: 090-00464

Price: $205.00 This price is great for new.

Yes, it could be located a little more to the right if more footroom is needed. I haven't noticed any problem with my feet clearance, but I only wear size 9's. JoeO
charliew
I have a vpc good unit but I don't know if it's possible yet but I might try a vintage air in the dash unit with heat and defrost. The trick will be to get it hidden. I have also thought about deleting the fresh air vent and putting the ac unit there.
bandjoey
Has anyone seen a unit with electric heat? All the hotrod ones are for water heat that I've seen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.