Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. Evil may have given me a disease!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mark Henry
In one weekend the Doc totally demistfied the 901 transmission and manual transmissions in general.
Because the only transmission I've ever taken a peek at was the aircooled VW, I've been scared of tranny's like a little girly-man.
I'm not an expert yet, but I hope Mike would say I'm compitaint.

I have 2 transmissions built from the clinic, plus enough spares to build a another 901 if I had another core.
In this pic, if you look at top 1/3, center, you can see (on the pegboard hook) dog teeth, 1st sliders, sider and a few bands. Nice score.

2nd pic is the 911 901 that the Doc built as a demonstrator, same thing as a 914, just a bit different on the nose cone and selector.
Mark Henry
This is my new undertaking. Ooooooohhhhh.....that bad and scary Type 1 transmission!!!!!!

First I was always told this is one of the hardest transmissions to learn on.
I should have taken that to heart and tried a easier transmission (like the 901) to learn on.
Now at least I know what the fuching thing is doing! I've been reading (a lot) and it makes sense now.
The VW is harder than the 901 and it requires a few more tools, plus a small press.
Mark Henry
Man do I have spares in my stash, this is going to sound sick but syncro's are only like $15- $20 each, but I have over 30 NOS sets. Plus many new gears and hubs.
Doc found an NOS 901 first gear slider in this mess, Then told me I have horseshoes up my orifice.
I've been sitting on this shit for 20 years!

Mark Henry
This stuff I had (before I grew a pair) bearings for the stack, a solid 4th gear spacer and a swing axle poor man posi kit, all high performance goodies from Gene Berg

I'm also soon going to tear into a swingaxle, because my bus tranny sounds like it's getting loose and needs some beefing. The 2.0 Berg engine is a bit hard on it.

I have a 091 bus core as well.......

Mike you're an ass.....I know that you're laughing right now.... biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Yer welcome, eh!
r_towle
What has been learned cannot be unlearned.

Rich
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 7 2009, 03:12 PM) *

Rich

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
Confucius.

Get this... I'm thinking of ripping one of my 901's back apart and teaching my kids how a transmission works. huh.gif
Dr Evil
Why not use one of the parts boxes? It sounds like your home schooling endeavor is going to be vocational smile.gif
tat2dphreak
so, if one has never attempted a transmission rebuild, is the 901 a good one to start with? or should I buy a different transmission and build up the the 901?

I'm thinking about rebuilding a 901 where I knw the one in my car is fresh.
SGB
yer just obsessed! smile.gif

Nobody here can relate to that.

If ya can't find 'em, grind 'em!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 7 2009, 03:45 PM) *

so, if one has never attempted a transmission rebuild, is the 901 a good one to start with? or should I buy a different transmission and build up the the 901?

I'm thinking about rebuilding a 901 where I knw the one in my car is fresh.

You need 2 cores to make one. (unless you have to have new....and Ben Dover)
Dog teeth and bands from 3/4/5 can be used. If you get lucky you'll have enough good sliders. Ist gear slider is super expensive as is everything else, the more good used you find the better.

Anyone who doesn't take advantage of one of the Good Doctor's clinics is....well... you know...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 7 2009, 03:41 PM) *

It sounds like your home schooling endeavor is going to be vocational smile.gif

I'm a man with a plan. Not official yet, but the time schedule has accelerated.
Taught my boy how to put together a recessed lighting fixture last night, he had the bigger job and sorted the parts out in the correct order.
We put together two contractor packs, 12 of them.
He's 8 years old.
He loved it.
tat2dphreak
yea, I was planning on picking up an extra transmission and going from there.
so the bands and dog teeth can be used off one gear from another gear from another transmission? that would certainly help. I was thinking the 3rd gear slider had to go on the 3rd gear only, so if both are bad... you are fuct and have to get new anyway.

I resemble that remark wink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 7 2009, 04:22 PM) *

yea, I was planning on picking up an extra transmission and going from there.
so the bands and dog teeth can be used off one gear from another gear from another transmission? that would certainly help. I was thinking the 3rd gear slider had to go on the 3rd gear only, so if both are bad... you are fuct and have to get new anyway.

I resemble that remark wink.gif

One slider for 2/3 and one for 4/5, same part on both. The kick in the nuts is if you don't have a good 1st gear slider.
tat2dphreak
ok, I understand. or at least I'll nod and grin until I tear it apart and have more questions biggrin.gif

thanks
Mark Henry
BTW please bear in mind I'm mechanically inclined and it was the Doctor's teachings that lifted the veil of fog from my mind on transmissions.

I would have never figured this out from a book. The evil one still gets the credit, he taught an old dog new tricks....well a middle aged one biggrin.gif
davep
Yeah, even an old fart like me learned a lot. I've got 7 more that I can go through including a 905 sporto box. I just talked to a friend who borrowed my P225 tool for synchro ring removal about 5 years ago, so I won't have to spend $100 for a new one. The other fixture is only US$21 so that is no big deal. I expect mikeg will weld up the junk first gear sliders to make the other tool we need, so we'll be golden.
crash914
is that a Nickie just sitting on the shelf in the first picture?
degreeoff
QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 7 2009, 02:20 PM) *

is that a Nickie just sitting on the shelf in the first picture?

Thats a 911 or T-1 I believe
Dr Evil
Its a Nickie
swl
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2009, 12:59 PM) *

BTW please bear in mind I'm mechanically inclined

typical canadian humble understatement
balljoint
QUOTE(swl @ Oct 7 2009, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2009, 12:59 PM) *

BTW please bear in mind I'm mechanically inclined

typical canadian humble understatement

agree.gif That is a pretty steep incline. smile.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2009, 10:39 AM) *

Man do I have spares in my stash, this is going to sound sick but syncro's are only like $15- $20 each, but I have over 30 NOS sets. Plus many new gears and hubs.
Doc found an NOS 901 first gear slider in this mess, Then told me I have horseshoes up my orifice.

Are those syncos from a 901 or a Type 1???
davep
Those were type 1 synchro rings. A little less valuable than the 901 variety, but a nice score anyway. Wish you had been there Doug.
tracks914
I'm off this weekend, I pulled my tranny this morning and will tear it down tomorrow. Hopefully with only 42K on it I will only need to change the syncros and I will have it back on the road by Sunday....just in time to see it snow outside.
Dr Evil
Post pics, we can all dx it for you.
tracks914
Took it apart. All looked pretty good. Changed 1st and 2nd syncros and flipped over 3rd just to give it a bit more life.(it had a bit of wear on one side.)
Only problems I had were getting the 1st number 1 gear off. It was TIGHT and needed a puller to remove it. Second problem (my fault), I had marked all the shift forks on their shafts but I didn't get the shifting forks aligned properly. Luckily I tested the shifting on the bench and found it to be a little "not smooth".( it was binding a bit moving from side to side) I took it apart and moved (rotated) one shift lever about 1/8", reassembled and all works much better.
Tranny is in the car but nothing else is hooked up yet. Hopefully tomorrow after work I can hook it all up and test drive it.
Dr Evil
blink.gif
davep
Oh yeah! got my P284 tool for removing/installing the dog tooth rings back from my customer today. It has only been a few years. However it allows me to get back to work on my boxes.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Oct 8 2009, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2009, 10:39 AM) *

Are those syncos from a 901 or a Type 1???

Yup T1 syncros.....my stash had nothing 914.... oh...except for an NOS 1st gear slider. biggrin.gif

Those tools I showed you Doc drunk.gif were T1 tranny tools, I've identified most of them including a diff measuring tool.
hmmmmm I wonder if a 901 diff will fit it.
davep
Was that diff tool VW385? If so it probably will. But there are several diff's. The early 901 diff is smaller than the later 911/914/915 diff. See this thread on a diff tool. Search Pelican for P258 & VW385, there is lots of info.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...?highlight=p258
tracks914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 15 2009, 04:17 PM) *

blink.gif

I re-worded the post, does it make any sense now????
Dr Evil
The blinking face was for the adjustment. Do you have the jig? Without the jig your adjustments have a very high likely hood of failure. As for removing 1st gear with a puller, are you talking about the large gear (driven) or the small gear (drive)? You had no need to remove the drive gear and if the driven was so tight as to need a puller, that is a concern.
tracks914
Thanks for the reply Mike.
I do not have the jig but I did put a scribe mark on each shaft before I removed each shift fork. The fork went back on in the same position (linear) as they came off. As noted before, I just had one of them slightly rotated and this caused some binding in the shifting.
Both Haynes and factory manuals said to remove the drive gear (small) from the the shaft before removing the gear assemblies from the intermediate plate. This is why I did it. The gear was tight to remove but it didn't "pick up" and came off smoothly, just tight. When I put it back on, I could easily return it to it's original position with the nut and a 3/8" ratchet. (To remove it again I would still need a puller as I don't think I could pry it off without one)
I guess I could have removed the pinion shaft without removing the #1 (small) first gear but I wasn't keen on tapping the shaft out with the gears still slightly engaged. Now that I see how the bearing on the pinion shaft comes apart I guess I didn't need to remove the drive shaft. This is only the second time I have done this so live and learn.
If you feel that returning the shift forks to their original postion might not be "good enough" let me know and I will take it out of the car and align them properly.
Tx
Dr Evil
Doug,
other than aligning the marks, did you check the index of the selector section of the rods? You may be ok. As for removing the small gear, completely unnecessary, but since you didnt break the bearing doing it, its not a big deal smile.gif Run it and see what happens.
tracks914
"index of the selector section of the rods"????? blink.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Oct 16 2009, 08:42 PM) *

"index of the selector section of the rods"????? blink.gif

That's the most important part of rebuilding your Turbo Encabulator.
Dr Evil
The part of the rods that interfaces with the shift comb of the selector console. Clear as mud? confused24.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 16 2009, 09:00 AM) *

Was that diff tool VW385? If so it probably will. But there are several diff's. The early 901 diff is smaller than the later 911/914/915 diff. See this thread on a diff tool. Search Pelican for P258 & VW385, there is lots of info.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...?highlight=p258

Nope, the tool I have won`t work, but if I needed it I could copy it for a 901. Measures the total diff bearing to bearing.

I think I have the diff figured out.... idea.gif
In fact I`m thinking of flipping my diff (new bearings) in one trans and sticking that box into my `67 bug project.
blink.gif

Probably just build another box smile.gif
davep
Why not use a 911 box then? A lot less case work and the selector is in the correct place.
Dr Evil
You can convert a tail shift to a 911 style with enough work wink.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2009, 12:19 PM) *

Rich

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
Confucius.

Get this... I'm thinking of ripping one of my 901's back apart and teaching my kids how a transmission works. huh.gif

Confucius say man who stand in corner with hand in pocket don't fill crazy fills nuts lol-2.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 18 2009, 03:32 AM) *

Rich

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
Confucius.

Confucius say man who stand in corner with hand in pocket don't fill crazy fills nuts lol-2.gif

Must of lost something in the translation.... confused24.gif ...I know not "fills" but "feels nuts"...
tracks914
driving.gif Just came back from a test drive. driving.gif
It shifts like a dream. piratenanner.gif

Now that it is running great......it's time to park it for the winter hissyfit.gif
This will be the first winter in about 8 years that I don't have a 914 to work on. welder.gif
What will I do with my time? calvin.gif type.gif sheeplove.gif beerchug.gif pain30.gif

golfer.gif in Jamaica mon, late November early December. smoke.gif golfer.gif

Oh and maybe a little... grouphug.gif sparetimetoys.gif wife permitting! (BTW I hope the bent over banana is a female banana....not that there is anything wrong with that!!!)
Mark Henry
Ohhhhhh.....Doug lives in Timmins....I see..... screwy.gif
poke.gif lol-2.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 18 2009, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 18 2009, 03:32 AM) *

Rich

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
Confucius.

Must of lost something in the translation.... confused24.gif ...I know not "fills" but "feels nuts"...

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif feels lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
You type with an accent, Jamie wink.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 18 2009, 09:57 PM) *

see! i mean jes lol-2.gif
JazonJJordan
popcorn[1].gif ya'll gots sum of dem ak'sents too?
Iz nev' no'dised.. laugh.gif Oh well...
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 19 2009, 12:57 AM) *

pete-stevers
hey doc did you get a list of dem tools
i waz tinkin dat i mat need em.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.