Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New belt changing technique
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TedK
quick belt change

hope its not a repost, did a search.
r_towle
This is awesome...I dont know if I have the balls to try it...but it would be a great bar bet.

Rich
zymurgist
thumb3d.gif
SLITS
I didn't see him set the correct tension for a new belt.
Cap'n Krusty
My ex brother-in-law, Stub, once did something like that with a motorcycle chain.

The Cap'n
zymurgist
Is that where he got his nickname?
tat2dphreak
first guy to figure that out had big brass ones...
aircooledtechguy
That's pretty funny.

I watched a group of Afghanis do this same thing to a large 2-stage air compressor with 4 belts when I was at Bagram back in '04. One at a time WITH THEIR FINGERS. They would basically hold the belt with their finger tips and put them on that way. They used a stick to take them off, but fingers to get them back on!!

I asked one of them that spoke a little English why they would remove them when the pump was not going to be used?? His answer was "They will get stolen. Look around you, where are you going to buy a belt here??" Out in BFE, there ain't no NAPA I can tell you that!! rolleyes.gif
ejm
I learned that trick my first week at the dealership back in '72 biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(ejm @ Oct 8 2009, 10:39 AM) *

I learned that trick my first week at the dealership back in '72 biggrin.gif

Yep, any VW guy could do it back then.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 7 2009, 01:44 PM) *

Is that where he got his nickname?

Yup. Of course, it's only one finger ................ The Cap'n
turboturtle
Manic mechanic Jerry Brown here in Little rock has been doing that on 914's for nearly as long as they,ve been made! Just pull the coil wire and it only takes a quick bump of the starter to dislodge it and replace with a new one. I was not particularly fond of the method however as it occasionally nicked the new belt a bit.
Sleepin
Now if you could only do a Honda timing belt the same way...then you would be good! lol-2.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(turboturtle @ Oct 8 2009, 12:47 PM) *

Manic mechanic Jerry Brown here in Little rock has been doing that on 914's for nearly as long as they,ve been made! Just pull the coil wire and it only takes a quick bump of the starter to dislodge it and replace with a new one. I was not particularly fond of the method however as it occasionally nicked the new belt a bit.

Does he reach around the fan housing to do that ?
SirAndy
thumb3d.gif
Greg44
That was cool!
BMiller
That is INSANE!!! Looks so simple...........I'd try it if I hated my screwdriver that badly lol-2.gif
Cupomeat
Damn, very good post, thanks!

I'll try it on the next T1 I get my hands (and all 10 fingers) on.
URY914
Someone should win the Nobel Peace Prize for doing this. lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif
DEC
very cool pray.gif thumb3d.gif
yeahmag
Wow!
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 9 2009, 08:27 AM) *

Someone should win the Nobel Peace Prize for doing this. lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif

av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(turboturtle @ Oct 8 2009, 02:47 PM) *

I've known Jerry since the mid 70's. He has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and is a good Porsche mechanic. Is my witness to me getting "scratch" in third gear in my old 1.7!!!!! He flipped a 911 during a test drive as a Posrche mechanic and didn't loose his job or get hurt. He also saw me pull into the dealership after a test drive in a 914 with three cops behind me. They were shooting the shit and saw me take a turn 914 style and didn't like it. I didn't loose my job either.....
ericread
I see that worked on a VW. But will it work on a Porsche???

Hmmmmm..... idea.gif

Eric Read lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.