Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In case you missed the announcement!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
A couple months back, Eric Shea made an announcement that he had some brakes that fit our spacing and looked like a really good upgrade. I took advantage of his initial offer and this last weekend was the first time I got the chance to try them in competition...

The look so good, another 914 driver noticed them and spent 5 minutes staring through my wheels at them and asking questions. Oh, and they stop like you threw out an anchor and weigh about 4# less! That is a significant amount of unsprung weight.

I think Eric only has one set left so ya'll better jump while there is something to jump on!
PeeGreen 914
You think we should jump on Eric? WTF.gif They look like nice calipers but I don't know if they're that nice poke.gif laugh.gif
ConeDodger
Geez Jon! When I saw you had responded I thought for sure there was a reflection of a damned garbage can in one of the pictures! sheeplove.gif Go ahead and jump on Eric if you want... chair.gif
PeeGreen 914
biggrin.gif Miss me? av-943.gif
ConeDodger
Yes... Sort of. I feel all warm and fuzzy now though. dry.gif
tat2dphreak
I'm envious, what brakes are these?
nbscooters
Its a secret but they are aluminum Alfa Romeo front calipers. I believe they are found on 83- on GTV6's and Milanos.
Rod
Nice.

Do you now not set the handbrake fully until you have 'rolled' the car into position to show off Brembo through the calipers? laugh.gif
SLITS
Leave it to Eric to get the Wops and Krauts fighting again ...............
Sleepin
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 7 2009, 04:57 PM) *

Leave it to Eric to get the Wops and Krauts fighting again ...............

There you go again! lol-2.gif
sixnotfour
3 inch spacing S brakes
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 7 2009, 02:31 PM) *

Nice.

Do you now not set the handbrake fully until you have 'rolled' the car into position to show off Brembo through the calipers? laugh.gif

Actually, I put them on a couple months back when I did not have an engine in the car and forgot until the guy started dry humping my front wheel...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(nbscooters @ Oct 7 2009, 02:20 PM) *

Its a secret but they are aluminum Alfa Romeo front calipers. I believe they are found on 83- on GTV6's and Milanos.

Not all of them. Most are cast iron I think. At least that is what you will get if you try and order them through Kragen or such... BTDT. At any rate before you start putting almost 30 year old brakes on your car and betting your life on them, you should probably rebuild them. That is why I just got them from Eric... Even though he is ugly and has too many wives. poke.gif
tat2dphreak
Eric... Even though he is ugly and has too many wives.

you just described most of us smile.gif some days, 1 is too many
DNHunt
Those are really sweet. I'm running them with Porterfield R4-S. Only 2 complaints, or more accurately, bugs I need to work out. My peddle is a little softer than I would like. Time to look at venting clearance and take another wack at bleeding. I have an old rebuilt 19 mm master cylinder than may need replacing and I have too much front bias. I may put my old street pads back in the rear.

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 8 2009, 05:52 AM) *

Those are really sweet. I'm running them with Porterfield R4-S. Only 2 complaints, or more accurately, bugs I need to work out. My peddle is a little softer than I would like. Time to look at venting clearance and take another wack at bleeding. I have an old rebuilt 19 mm master cylinder than may need replacing and I have too much front bias. I may put my old street pads back in the rear.

Dave

Mine have pretty good peddle. I used the power bleeder but I think I will redo it with the good old human method soon. I am using the Porterfield pads too... I was so impressed with them that I called Eric up and ordered a set for my 9eleben...
veltror
QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 7 2009, 11:31 PM) *

Nice.

Do you now not set the handbrake fully.......

A handbrake that works av-943.gif av-943.gif

every bloody year the bloody MOT failed me on the h/brake, it is total bollocks....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 7 2009, 07:51 PM) *

Not all of them. Most are cast iron I think. At least that is what you will get if you try and order them through Kragen or such... BTDT. At any rate before you start putting almost 30 year old brakes on your car and betting your life on them, you should probably rebuild them. That is why I just got them from Eric... Even though he is ugly and has too many wives. poke.gif

so is the only difference from the FLAPS is the iron version of the same caliper vs the pretty aluminum? I know eric's sources were limited, so as an alternative, one COULD use the iron version on "M" struts?
Michael N
More pics from another install. Stops great and less filling. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rod
You gits have probably just cost me another 600 greens sad.gif smile.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 9 2009, 09:10 AM) *

Hi guys,

I think I need these too. Can they adapt to my stock 4-lug wheels. Or the full story on what is needed for my 4-lug stock wheels, only.

I already started a local search for the Bremo aluminum calipers, so far no luck.

Rob: chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif You are a troubled man. lol-2.gif

Tom
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 9 2009, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 9 2009, 09:10 AM) *

Hi guys,

I think I need these too. Can they adapt to my stock 4-lug wheels. Or the full story on what is needed for my 4-lug stock wheels, only.

I already started a local search for the Bremo aluminum calipers, so far no luck.

Rob: chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif You are a troubled man. lol-2.gif

Tom

TBliz,
It's my job man... I don't mind the work but they pay me so damned much that I have to kick the money out of the way when I get home! It's a curse man! blink.gif

Seriously, I have to sell a set of PMB rebuilt M-Calipers with new pads that were used for 50 miles before Eric PMed me and told me about these. They would work for you if you're interested.
tat2dphreak
I think to run these with 4 lug you will have to get Brad's Billet Hubs, this will allow you to run vented 911 rotors on your 914 struts with either 4 or 5 lug bolt pattern...
Justinp71
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 8 2009, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 7 2009, 07:51 PM) *

so is the only difference from the FLAPS is the iron version of the same caliper vs the pretty aluminum? I know eric's sources were limited, so as an alternative, one COULD use the iron version on "M" struts?

Aren't they also the same as the 78-83 320i calipers in an aluminum version?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...MW_calipers.htm

736conver
If you have the capabilities to rebuild calipers, you can pick these up cheap. Or get lucky with a good used set.
Just hang out on the alfa boards and post a wanted ad.
Some of our guys are already over there, looking for them.

Alfa board

They are also used on beamers too and you can find some on their bbs too, I believe the one of the models is the BMW E21 Series.
jaxdream
Would these work on the 69-73 911 M struts 3.0 inch spacing ?? Just curious as they look to be a direct bolt on for them -no spacer washers and such .This would be great for guy wanting 911 front 5 lug setup using M struts as opposed to the SC / Carrera 3.5 inch spacing strut .

Jaxdream
tat2dphreak
yes, I think these are intended for 3" spacing M struts.

the 320i calipers for -4 "upgrades" still use solid rotors, these have about the same pad size, but for VENTED rotors
Justinp71
Partsheaven is somehow selling 320i calipers that fit the vented rotors, not sure what they have done, whether its adding a spacer in the caliper or special pads...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 9 2009, 01:06 PM) *

Partsheaven is somehow selling 320i calipers that fit the vented rotors, not sure what they have done, whether its adding a spacer in the caliper or special pads...

I would bet it is just adding a spacer. The calipers look exactly like the aluminiums only heavy and not as pretty.
McMark
In case you were wondering... poke.gif
ConeDodger
I will take a large glass of Lemonade Mark!
KELTY360
Peddle......Pedal.........

Piddle biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(736conver @ Oct 9 2009, 02:02 PM) *

If you have the capabilities to rebuild calipers, you can pick these up cheap. Or get lucky with a good used set.

Alfa board

They are also used on beamers too and you can find some on their bbs too, I believe the one of the models is the BMW E21 Series.

thanks for the link wink.gif
736conver
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 9 2009, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(736conver @ Oct 9 2009, 02:02 PM) *

Alfa board

thanks for the link wink.gif

Looks like you might have got some. Tell us how much you paid.
tat2dphreak
enough that eric would not appreciate me posting it, and since he's a great guy, and I just wanted a set for my car... plus they need a rebuild, and I happen to know that eric can rebuild them. I'm setting them aside until I get my 5 lug conversion done. if I end up with 3.5" struts I'll sell these to eric for his stock for what I paid.

I got my stock calipers from eric, and I support member vendors anytime I can.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.