Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Flares for the masses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
For years people have been asking about the style of flares I have been putting on my customer cars, that I started with on my race car in 1997.
People who can't bring their car to me want them but I have only been able to do them directly on a car, using the original fenders... until now!

Forming the complex shaped stock fender lip has been the big hurdle for me, but we are ready to move forward, and the first steps are encouraging.

Here are pics of the prototype work we started today. Once completed this will allow us to make complete weld-on flare sets that can be shipped anywhere. So anyone can install the subtle Tangerine Racing style wide flare that retains the stock look.

While these pictures were being taken I had Genaro cut a flat piece of steel and start forming our first prototype complete rear flare.
Krieger
Nice work Chris
carr914
For all the newbies, Chris is not only an Advertiser and Vender, but a heck of a nice guy. I talked to him 3 times times today about another product I bought from him.

T.C.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 7 2009, 04:35 PM) *

For years people have been asking about the style of flares I have been putting on my customer cars, that I started with on my race car in 1997.
People who can't bring their car to me want them but I have only been able to do them directly on a car, using the original fenders... until now!

Forming the complex shaped stock fender lip has been the big hurdle for me, but we are ready to move forward, and the first steps are encouraging.

Here are pics of the prototype work we started today. Once completed this will allow us to make complete weld-on flare sets that can be shipped anywhere. So anyone can install the subtle Tangerine Racing style wide flare that retains the stock look.

While these pictures were being taken I had Genaro cut a flat piece of steel and start forming our first prototype complete rear flare.

Can you give some idea of how wide a wheel you are running on this car ?? I do like this type of flare a lot more than the other style , we all have our likes and dislikes , this style is subtle and smoother.

GR8 job there Chris , keep the stuff coming!!! aktion035.gif

Jaxdream
ws91420
This may be a little early but do you have an idea on pricing?
r_towle
Sweet!!!

Rich
tat2dphreak
so sweet, I GOTTA get those:) I never cared for the GT flares much, but I love your car and the one John Kelly did... I'm curious on the price too...
SGB
Dang.

I'm gonna have to get another car...

I need to keep a driver while I build the uberteener with these flares and a tangerine exhaust and some tangerine trailing arms. And then I need driving lessons from Chris. Yeah. Guess I'll have to rob a bank again. Uh... win a lottery I mean.
RJMII
ooh, I like! Now it needs some gills/scoops right above "Hoosier" for my intercooler to breathe... hmm...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 7 2009, 08:10 PM) *

Can you give some idea of how wide a wheel you are running on this car ??

My car is restricted to 7" wheels by SCCA rules, but the cantilevered slicks are more than 10" wide.
My standard flare will be as wide as the AA GT flares. Other widths may be available too.
We recently installed Hoosier DOT race tires on a car we flared with the AA product. Fuchs 7" front with 225/55-15, 15mm spacers; 8" rear with 245/50-15, no spacers.
Hoosier 245/50 DOT tires are actually a little wider than my slicks. new_shocked.gif
I think a regular street tire in 275 width might fit with the right size and offset wheel.
Bruce Hinds
I like them, I want them, please let us know when you are ready to ship or take orders.....
B
Justinp71
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 7 2009, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 7 2009, 08:10 PM) *

Can you give some idea of how wide a wheel you are running on this car ??

My car is restricted to 7" wheels by SCCA rules, but the cantilevered slicks are more than 10" wide.
My standard flare will be as wide as the AA GT flares. Other widths may be available too.
We recently installed Hoosier DOT race tires on a car we flared with the AA product. Fuchs 7" front with 225/55-15, 15mm spacers; 8" rear with 245/50-15, no spacers.
Hoosier 245/50 DOT tires are actually a little wider than my slicks. new_shocked.gif
I think a regular street tire in 275 width might fit with the right size and offset wheel.

So we can get an idea on looks, are they going to be as wide as the ones on your race car? It sounds like they will be slightly smaller...

This really throws a monkey wrench in my plans, since I'm planning to put my car into paint this saturday... dry.gif
ernestj911@gmail.com
Wow, that is exactly what I was looking for. I even called Tangerine racing several years ago and asked for a set of flares like this.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 8 2009, 05:54 PM) *

So we can get an idea on looks, are they going to be as wide as the ones on your race car? It sounds like they will be slightly smaller...

Same width as what was on my race car until recently. They allow about the same amount of tire underneath as AA flares.

I'm not ready to release a price yet, but it will be somewhere between AA flares and OEM flares, and about half the price of what I would have to charge to modify a set of stock fenders that were cut off a car. smile.gif
pete-stevers
thanks Chris for another invative product!!
lotus_65
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 8 2009, 09:24 PM) *

thanks Chris for another invative product!!

agree.gif
i think...
campbellcj
Sweet - I am extremely interested in these! Please keep us posted with progress and any news on anticipated pricing and availability dates!
daveyboybadion
I would be interested in a set of these, depending on price. Anyone looking for a set of GT flares?...daveyboy
Chris Pincetich
I like the stock look on the outside, but the inside has the lip that seems to get rolled up for that extra 0.25" of non-shredding clearance. Rollin it out of the way at home with a round slab of wood is easy enough. Maybe there will be an option here for purchase....but never mind my comments I am broke beerchug.gif
jcambo7
These are awesome. I would love to eventually throw these on my teener.
matthepcat
I am bumping this old thread. icon_bump.gif

Anyone out there actually running these on their car and have some installation photos?

smash.gif welder.gif

Cheers,

Matt
jd74914
Chris C. (campbellcj) does; see the build thread in his signature. They look awesome!
matthepcat
No one else?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.