Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How useful is a right side mirror?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
javadog
I'm in the process of repainting my 914-6 and now is the time to consider adding a right side mirror. Given that they are somewhat small, compared to the mirrors on a modern car, I wonder if it is worth adding. How many of you have experience driving a 914 with a right side mirror? Is it worth it? Or is it pretty useless?

Thanks,
Jeff
flipb
I've only been a 914 owner for a couple of weeks, but I find the passenger side mirror to be mildly useful. Certainly could live without it, given how easy it is to glace out the back glass when changing lanes. The field of vision is pretty small. I wonder if anybody's using one with convex mirror to get a wider field of view?
r_towle
Do it....it helps with the blind spot.

Rich
SGB
I put one on my car ( a 2.0) and use it alot, BUT if your car is an original 6, I think it should be left unchanged... smile.gif
MikeSpraggi
... Original /6 ... I use it a lot!

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
There was a thread about convex passenger side mirrors, but I don't know whatever became of it, or if any actually became available.

I have the passenger mirrors on both my cars, and wouldn't be without them! With today's drivers, you need all the help you can get!
sean_v8_914
if it was not good, modern manufacturers would opt to save the production costs and delete it.
do it, you will not regret it....and it looks cool, symetrical
P.Rocket
I've been parking my car in the shop beside my hoist for almost two years. Said to myself I don't need that stinkin' right side mirror. Never had a problem till a couple months ago when the right side 1/4 fender contacted the hoist while backing it in. Now I have great scratch/dent in my car that pisses me off every time I see it. Sorry I can't bring myself to show ya pics. But seriously thinking a right side mirror is going on this winter to prevent further stupid moves.

OK there, I admitted it, I screwd up.
zymurgist
My 911 has only a drivers' side mirror. Whenever I drive that car, I feel a bit naked compared to all the other vehicles, which have mirrors on both sides.
Ian Stott
Adding the right side mirror is at the top of my to do list. I was backing my 914 into the garage trying to hug the right side wall so I could maximize my space but never got as close as I needed due to nerves and I drive for a living! So I rearranged the garage so I could drive in and now the backing out is makinfg me antsy. I think adding the right side mirror doesn't detract from the looks or originality as I think it was an option when they were new plus it is a real safety feature when changing lanes etc.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
johannes
Factory right side mirrors ARE convex. There is a different code for left and right just because of the mirror. The housing is the same. They are still available at the factory but very expensive.
Cap'n Krusty
Mount it in the correct location, which is NOT symmetrical with the left side, but farther back on the door. Mounting it just like the left one will render it useless as a mirror. The Cap'n
jaxdream
Cap'n is right , the right side mounts in a different location in relation to the left side . I would say the the mount is there you just have to locate it from inside the door , take off door panel , shine flashlight up into door by the front window track , it's about 3/8 inch wide and already has the holes drilled and tapped to accept the mirror mounting screws , take a small punch from inside the door , tap lightly to put a point on the door skin for both hloes , drill the holes from the outside , go easy with the diameter of the drill and the depth and you should have it done. Mount mirror and enjoy the right side of your car !!!

Jaxdream
jcwells
Are there any attractive alternatives to the stock mirrors, that mount in the same holes?
flipb
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Oct 8 2009, 08:04 AM) *

Adding the right side mirror is at the top of my to do list. I was backing my 914 into the garage trying to hug the right side wall so I could maximize my space but never got as close as I needed due to nerves and I drive for a living! So I rearranged the garage so I could drive in and now the backing out is makinfg me antsy. I think adding the right side mirror doesn't detract from the looks or originality as I think it was an option when they were new plus it is a real safety feature when changing lanes etc.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

I take back my earlier comment... I do use my right side mirror each time I take the car out - or more specifically, each time I back it into the carport. I try to keep it within a few inches of the wall on that side to minimize the chances of my preschooler crashing into the car on his tricycle.
jaxdream
I am not sure on that as the factory mount was intened for the 914 only mirror. You may luck up and find a set of mirrors with the same bolt hole spacing , but it may be a long shot. Do a search on mirrors here on the forum and you will see a great selction of alternative mirrors. The mid to late 80's GM mirror is a good looking alternative , available in salvage yards plus the remote controls , mounting brackets inside the door( sometimes ) for the various mirrors plus the passenger side usually comes in the convex type where the usual for 914 passenger mirror is a driver's side tuned around - no convex.
Good luck on your search
EdwardBlume
I added a pass stock mirror to my former DD / AX car and it was clearly worthless as a mirror, but as mentioned, gives you a peripheral motion warning if you change lanes quickly. As far as looks and originality, either you like it or you don't. Non-stock big mirrors that function look odd on such a small perch IMHO.

Its fairly easy to install once you get past drilling through your paint...
veltror
Please do not assume that everybody drives on the right hand side of the road, in the UK it is very necessary and Jaime in Japan well you ill def need one... someday when the world all drives on the left then this thread can be re-read....
Cap'n Krusty
For a RHD car, the right mirror would have to be moved forward, and the left one toward the rear. There are no provisions for that, as there were no RHD 914s manufactured by the factory.

The Cap'n
javadog
Thanks for the replies. How many of you have a convex right side mirror, versus a left mirror turned upside down? I can't imagine a flat mirror would give much of a view but I've never seen the convex one.

I'm also mainly interested in the view going down the road, as opposed to the usefulness of it when parking.

Thanks,
Jeff
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(veltror @ Oct 8 2009, 09:23 AM) *

Please do not assume that everybody drives on the right hand side of the road, in the UK it is very necessary and Jaime in Japan well you ill def need one... someday when the world all drives on the left then this thread can be re-read....

The cars in Hong Kong will soon be driven on the right side (correct side) of the road. The rest of the world will follow soon. stirthepot.gif lol-2.gif
sean_v8_914
...the right side and the british side
veltror
it is not just the British which drive of the left....
srb7f
I mounted a passenger side mirror using the factory mounting bracket, and it appears to be in the same location as the driver's side (didn't get out a ruler though). It also works like it should. Just curious on the need to mount it further posterior...every modern car has the mirrors in the same spot on each side? Does doing so mean you shouldn't use the factory mounting bracket?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.