Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone going to the Monterey Sportscar Championships
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
My wife am I are heading down to Monterey Thursday afternoon. I have a campsite over looking part of the Corkscrew.

Here is the view form our campsite at the Historics:

Click to view attachment

Our site for this weekend is 2 spaces to the left.

Jim
Zimms
drooley.gif drooley.gif not this year, but maybe next. The race is scheduled to be 6 hours next year. Great spot!
jcd914
QUOTE(Zimms @ Oct 8 2009, 04:43 AM) *

drooley.gif drooley.gif not this year, but maybe next. The race is scheduled to be 6 hours next year. Great spot!

I just heard yesterday from a friend at work that they were bumping it to 6 hrs for 2010, hopefully they will add some of that time on to the "in to the dark" part of the race.
I lucked out on the spot for the historics, if you could see to the right or left the lower section was lined with big RV's and the best view from the upper section was right over the tents below me. I am hoping who ever is below me this weekend has tents.

Jim

ConeDodger
I couldn't go but my car is so well trained that it is going. I told it to have a good time and be safe! No late night partying...
Cap'n Krusty
I'll be camped over the corkscrew, too. My quarterly Saucelito Canyon wine club shipment should be here today or tomorrow...............................

The Cap'n
jcd914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 8 2009, 09:41 AM) *

I'll be camped over the corkscrew, too. My quarterly Saucelito Canyon wine club shipment should be here today or tomorrow...............................

The Cap'n

Stop by an say Hi, we'll be in CSV 605 on the upper level of the Corkscrew View sites. I have an old white and brown 21ft Class 'C' RV and will have Rob's Silver 914 with me. I am more a beer drinker than wine drinker by I would be happy to share either or both that I have with me.

beerchug.gif

Jim
Zimms
Have fun and post any photos you get!
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 8 2009, 12:41 PM) *

The Cap'n

Always lay the cork screw flat on the table just incase you nod off or pass out....

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 8 2009, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 8 2009, 09:41 AM) *

The Cap'n

Stop by an say Hi, we'll be in CSV 605 on the upper level of the Corkscrew View sites. I have an old white and brown 21ft Class 'C' RV and will have Rob's Silver 914 with me. I am more a beer drinker than wine drinker by I would be happy to share either or both that I have with me.

beerchug.gif

Jim

Guess you missed my attempt at humor. I'll be at home opening the bottles. Well, not entirely, I'm gonna go to a vintage bike show in SLO on Saturday. The "World's Fastest Indian", is part of the display. I'm considering selling my Norton and wanna judge the market for a project bike. I've come to the realization that I'm never gonna get to it .....................

Have a GREAT time at the races!

The Cap'n
strawman
Hi Jim --

Sorry I cannot make it this year, but I'm glad you-n-your-wife can go. Nancy and I have some family obligations that'll prevent us from going. Thanks for the offer, tho, and have fun -- that is a killer campsite!!!

Geoff
campbellcj
I was seriously thinking about going, but some big stuff is going on family-wise. Next year the 6-hour race sounds great through!
Millerwelds
I just watched the race I had recorded. HOLY SH!T!!! That was some exciting racing to say the least. The battle between the Flying Lizard Porsche and the corvette had me full of adrenelin. I could feel the frustration of the corvette not being able to get past the Porsche even though he had a faster car. Amazing blocking / driving by the Porsche driver. Too much aggression as he ran out of time and a "oh no you don't" attitude by the Porsche put the vette into the wall and sliding sideways through the finish line. Passing using the pit lane (vette) and going inside and outside of traffic through turns while still blocking lines was outstanding. I hope you got to see most of it live....must have been awesome!
driving.gif aktion035.gif
jcd914
We had great time although it was a bit colder than past years. I was not where I could see the Lizard car and the Corvette at the finish but the announcer was going wild. I was actually back at camp by then sitting in front of a camp fire.

On Sunday we took a drive to a friends house and I got to see his newest project. This project has displaced his 914 to the side yard under a portable carport, this is a GT flared -6 with a 2.8L twin plug engine that got moved out.

Friday he had just picked up the freshly powdercoated tube frame for his 1957 300SL Roadster. I have never seen the frame work of an early 300SL and I was impressed. He had the front and rear suspension in the garage and carefully wrapped chrome pieces tucked all over the garage and in the house. It looks like he has a lot of work ahead of him.

Next years ALMS race at Laguna Seca will be in May and will be 6 hrs long.
I'll be in the same camp site unless I can mange one of the lower level sites.

Jim
Zimms
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I watched the race Monday night. Great stuff. It looked like the Lowes Acura put up a good battle for first!
harlenl
If you recall, the race used to start around 4pm and end in the evening; thus "racing into the darkness". However, that all changed due to television. Darkness makes for bad TV. Yes, one can argue that the 24 hours of Lemans and Daytona are in the dark. But, that is the reason. As for next year, the new date means longer days or daylight. Assuming the start time stays the same, there should be some darkness and it shouldn't be as cold.

Harlen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.