Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Gas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I've always adhered to the "it's all the same base stock, so it's all mostly the same" mantra and it's done me fine. But, I haven't researched gas in a long time and am wondering if anyone is more educated than I on the subject. Especially in the realm of CA gas.

I typically use 91 octane ARCO, but am starting to hear good things about the newer Shell V-Power formulations. Anybody have any opinions/data/experience?

-Aaron
orange914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 8 2009, 10:18 AM) *

I've always adhered to the "it's all the same base stock, so it's all mostly the same" mantra and it's done me fine. But, I haven't researched gas in a long time and am wondering if anyone is more educated than I on the subject. Especially in the realm of CA gas.

I typically use 91 octane ARCO, but am starting to hear good things about the newer Shell V-Power formulations. Anybody have any opinions/data/experience?

-Aaron

from what i understand there are basically 2 levels of fuel quality thats supplied to all stations. kind of like anti freeze and olive oil smile.gif . this info. comes from the owner of a local arco... for what thats worth.

on my family wagon i like costco simply because they keep with a very strict filter change program. the mustang and 914 go to chevron where i take out a home equaty loan each time.

does anyone know what date ca. changes over to the crappy oxigenated winter blend?

mike
turboturtle
Arron, the fuel formulas change through the seasons as they change. And with all the updates and reformulations, were probably using several different types of fuel through the year. Their aren't any Chevron stations in Arkansas anymore, but to their benefit and ours, their injector and fuel system cleaner is the only one recommended by Porshce, Mercedes, Audi and Toyota!
This additive is in all their pump fuels and I don't think it necessary to run the fuel system cleaner when you use their fuels regularly.
Any other fuel makers clams on a given additive is just that, an additive, like Chevron using their fuel system cleaner as theirs!.
Here in Arkansas, Ninety percent of all the fuel sold comes from Exxon, each brand just adds their own special additive to the mix at the storage facility to call it there own. My $0.02
Rotary'14
I think that Arco gas is the crappiest major brand. I would rather buy USA gas or some no name "pay Y more" gas.
I came to this conclusion over a period of many years, with more than one type of car. When I would fill up my car's gas tank (click twice) with union 76, I would get say 350 miles per tank. I would do the same with Arco and I would only get a range of 320 miles. I thought WTF?? Arco gas must not like rotaries. fast forward 5 years and I'm driving my lease BMW back and forth to work (130 miles a day round trip) I had to use Arco once and realised that even with the bimmer my range was crappier buy about 40 miles. I tried it a few times and mentioned it to a co-worker. My co-worker also got less range. Go figure. I GUESS (cause I really don't know) that Arco gas has less "energy" BTU in it. My car uses more of it to do the same amount of work. I don't think it's worth the nickel difference in price, from Arco to anybody else.
yeahmag
Thanks guys. I'll try some Chevron and see how she likes it.
underthetire
I met a guy at my friends party. He is a state inspector for fuels in CA. He basicaly said run whatever, it's all pretty much the same. Fill the car when it's cold out (we knew that anyway), and only from newer gas stations. (less crap in there tanks). The chevron/shell whatever with the additive is a marketing ploy. He said it's such a micro amount it won't matter. Run a good fuel cleaner every six months. Don't let CA fuels sit for more than 90 days, it will seperate on you. Not such a big deal on FI cars, but Carbs it's a big problem. Found it out the hardway on my dirtbike myself. Hope this helps.
Cevan
My #1 rule is don't buy Citgo gas. flag.gif
GeorgeRud
I've always been told that there are only so many refineries that produce all the fuel (you can't really call this gasoline anymore), and the additives basically amount to a cupfull per tanker if even that. I'd buy for price and not worry about it.

If you want to avoid any particular brand that is owned by S. American dictators, I don't think anyone would mind.

DBCooper
Drove from Texas to California last week. I'm impressed that the Very Special Gasoline you have in California gas is a dollar a gallon more than plain old Texas gas. That's a pretty major difference.
Chris Pincetich
Yes, thanks for reminding me headbang.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 9 2009, 06:56 AM) *

Drove from Texas to California last week. I'm impressed that the Very Special Gasoline you have in California gas is a dollar a gallon more than plain old Texas gas. That's a pretty major difference.

That would be our "TAX additive"...you won't go faster but your money will....... dry.gif
Geezer914
We had oxeginated gas in Jersey. The smell made me sick. I would get less gas milage burning that crap. So in essense you are using more gas to save the enviorment??? Doesen't make sense. They said the additives in that stuff were seeping into the water tables from the acid rain. The additives are very poisenous and there is no reversing the effects. So they think they are cleaning up the air by poluting our rivers and drinking water.
yeahmag
So the 91 Octane Chevron gas seemed to like my motor. During my autocross at El Toro on Sunday seat-of-the-pants the engine felt stronger, especially on the bottom end where I thought I might be a bit lean (still no O2 sensor) and the most notable thing was I wasn't getting the "I'm a bit lean" snarl out the exhaust on decel/over run.

The car felt great! For now, I'm sold.
campbellcj
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Oct 10 2009, 08:48 AM) *

We had oxeginated gas in Jersey. The smell made me sick. I would get less gas milage burning that crap. So in essense you are using more gas to save the enviorment??? Doesen't make sense. They said the additives in that stuff were seeping into the water tables from the acid rain. The additives are very poisenous and there is no reversing the effects. So they think they are cleaning up the air by poluting our rivers and drinking water.

We don't have that toxic stuff (MBTE) in Kalifornia anymore - replaced by 10% ethanol.
jesiv
For what it is worth... Porsche (Carlson) recommends Chevron 91 for my Boxster S biggrin.gif .

For my 1975 914 1.8, I tried regular all the way to 100 octane and really did not see a difference. Although, I would swear the race gas made it go faster piratenanner.gif (at $6.49 per gal)

Regards,

James
Gint
There wasn't a 914 made that required today's US rated 91 octane fuel. You're wasting your money if you have stock compression and are paying for higher octane fuel.
yeahmag
My car is not stock.
turboturtle
My biggest concern is filling up my tank just after the tanker truck just left. Theirs no knowing when they last delivered fuel, and the delivery stirs up everything in the tank including all the water that is in there for a couple a few hours! I hate it!
orange914
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 13 2009, 08:11 AM) *

There wasn't a 914 made that required today's US rated 91 octane fuel. You're wasting your money if you have stock compression and are paying for higher octane fuel.

don't they call for 91 octane? was u.s. rated differently?
Gint
You should really research gasoline octane and it's use/requirements for your given situation.

We've had this discussion a few times over the years. This thread explains it pretty well. Look for Lapuwali's post near the end of the thread. Post #11. I can find more threads.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9&hl=octane
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.