Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal44
I'm new here but not new to 914's. I have a chance to buy a 914/6 numbers matching.

Theres a "but" to this. It has rust (big suprise). Some dents in the fenders and has steel wheels (no Fuchs). Interior is complete and decent, still has original radio. The seller states the floors are good. He states bad rust behind one of the doors but hell hole appears to be fine......ya sure.

The biggie with me is restoring vs. restored. Let me state it will be a cold day before before I would pay high thirties to low fourties for a "6" no matter how much I have always wanted one.

So there you have it. If I left anything out please tell me. Its o.k to be harsh.....thats how one learns. Car is complete as it left the factory. Engine turns over by hand but car has not been on the road since '85. Opinions please.
Asking price is $12K

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
siverson
Without seeing pictures, it doesn't sound like that good of price. $12k for a rusty non-running original six is NOT a bargain.

If you put $20k+ into restoring this (very easy to do, and would likely be much more to make really nice) it still would not be as nice as a $32k already restored or good condition 914-6 that you could buy today.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would buy it for that right away.
I would not however buy it to restore. Better to buy one already done. You would put at least 25 into the restoration

QUOTE(cal44 @ Oct 9 2009, 03:47 PM) *

I'm new here but not new to 914's. I have a chance to buy a 914/6 numbers matching.

Theres a "but" to this. It has rust (big suprise). Some dents in the fenders and has steel wheels (no Fuchs). Interior is complete and decent, still has original radio. The seller states the floors are good. He states bad rust behind one of the doors but hell hole appears to be fine......ya sure.

The biggie with me is restoring vs. restored. Let me state it will be a cold day before before I would pay high thirties to low fourties for a "6" no matter how much I have always wanted one.

So there you have it. If I left anything out please tell me. Its o.k to be harsh.....thats how one learns. Car is complete as it left the factory. Engine turns over by hand but car has not been on the road since '85. Opinions please.
Asking price is $12K

cal44
O.K laddies, I'm lurking and learning. Mr. Hussey you stated not to restore. Then what would you do with it? Inquiring minds......

Mike
bcheney
I agree with George on this one. However, I'm not sure if he is saying buy it in hopes of selling it someone else who has an "open checkbook to restore" or buy it to part out and maybe make some money. Factory six parts are valuable and you might be surprised how much parting one out could bring...
Cap'n Krusty
I don't see getting $12K for a car's worth of "original" 914/6 parts, EVER, not even downhill with a tail wind. There's just not that much difference in the /4 and the /6 as sold. Any pricey parts, such as the oil tank and the oil lines are likely to be toast anyway. Other than the hand throttle stuff, practically everything else is available.

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 9 2009, 04:18 PM) *

I don't see getting $12K for a car's worth of "original" 914/6 parts, EVER, not even downhill with a tail wind. There's just not that much difference in the /4 and the /6 as sold. Any pricey parts, such as the oil tank and the oil lines are likely to be toast anyway. Other than the hand throttle stuff, practically everything else is available.

agree.gif

If you want to drive a /6, buy one that is already done. You'll be way ahead. Leave this one to someone who's willing to put the time and money into it to restore it.

stirthepot.gif Andy
carr914
That is the car that RichHawk sold a few weeks ago in 4 hours for $8k. It was a very good price at that level and I told him that I thought it was worth maybe $10k. I don't know who is selling the car, but $4k profit for a couple of weeks is a little steep, IMHO. The car I have in the classifieds @ $11k is a much nicer car and much easier to restore as it doesn't have Any structual rust.

I'm restoring another six that had a lot of rust. So far I have about $15k into the parts/rust repair/paint. You have to figure about $10k for the motor. Then the rest.

T.C.

carr914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 9 2009, 06:14 PM) *

I would buy it for that right away.
I would not however buy it to restore. Better to buy one already done. You would put at least 25 into the restoration

Well George, When are going to buy my car? Heck I might even deliver it.

T.C.
Gint
QUOTE(cal44 @ Oct 9 2009, 03:47 PM) *
before I would pay high thirties to low fourties for a "6" no matter how much I have always wanted one.

You'll spend at least that much restoring that particular 914/6. Guaranteed.
SLITS
A VIN, with an anemic engine & sloppy shifting ... means nothing to me .... for $12K, I would be doing a conversion with a NICE motor & etc.. into a good body.

But then I'm just an asshole, so what do I know.
PanelBilly
I'd buy a nice /4 for the same $ and drive it
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 9 2009, 04:27 PM) *

That is the car that RichHawk sold a few weeks ago in 4 hours for $8k. It was a very good price at that level and I told him that I thought it was worth maybe $10k. I don't know who is selling the car, but $4k profit for a couple of weeks is a little steep, IMHO.

I thought it looked familiar ... biggrin.gif

So far, it's been flipped twice in the last few weeks. What did Rich pay for it? $5k?

So now it's at $12k, which is pretty high for a car that needs a complete overhaul.
stirthepot.gif Andy
bcheney
Just to stimulate your thoughts about parting it out...here is a list...starting putting realistic numbers to this stuff and call it all in "fair" condition. I compiled the list...chime in with some fair market values guys...

Trailing arms
Rear core calipers
Rear stub axles
Axles & CV joints
Set of four 5 bolt steel wheels
Tranny
Core motor
Intakes
Carbs & Linkage
Real Six Air filter housing
Six Engine tin
Six Heat exhangers
Muffler & bracket
Oil tank
Filler neck
Front A-Arms
Struts
Strut top bushings and hardware
Steering rack
Front core calipers
Front bumper and dog bones
Front bumper grills and fog lights
Rear bumber
Rear Valence
Rocker panels
Dash top
Dash bottom
Steering wheel
Guages
Center Console
Carb Choke lever and cable
Steering column and in dash key ingnition switch
Complete wiring harnes
Real Six relay board
Electric windshield wiper parts
Shifter and shift rod
Fuel tank
Winshield Trim
Windshield
Side window glass and mechanisms
Side window triangle glass
Sail panel trim
Rear window
Side mirrors
Door handles and locks
Trunk lock
914-6 badge emblem
Front and rear light housings, lenses and side markers
Drivers seat
Passenger seat bottom
Back pad
Door panels
Speaker grills
Tub with a real six VIN...
carr914
Trailing arms & Rear stub axles - $700
Rear core calipers - $400
Axles & CV joints - $200
Set of four 5 bolt steel wheels - $50
Tranny - $400
Core motor - $400
Carbs & Linkage,Intakes - $1000
Real Six Air filter housing - $150
Six Engine tin - $200
Six Heat exhangers - $1,400
Muffler & bracket - $300
Oil tank, Filler neck - $900
Front A-Arms - $100
Struts Strut top bushings and hardware - $150
Steering rack - ?
Front core calipers - $150
Front bumper and dog bones Front bumper grills and fog lights - $200
Rear bumber - $400
Rear Valence - $500
Rocker panels - $75
Dash top - Condition?
Dash bottom
Steering wheel - $125
Guages - $200
Center Console - $150
Carb Choke lever and cable - $100
Steering column and in dash key ingnition switch - $400
Complete wiring harness - $500
Real Six relay board - $500
Electric windshield wiper parts - $50
Shifter and shift rod - $100
Fuel tank - $50
Winshield Trim - $0
Windshield - ?
Side window glass and mechanisms - $100
Side window triangle glass - $25
Sail panel trim - $25
Rear window - $25
Side mirrors - $100
Door handles and locks - $150
Trunk lock - $10
914-6 badge emblem - $75
Front and rear light housings, lenses and side markers - $200
Drivers seat - $50
Passenger seat bottom - $50
Back pad - $200
Door panels - $200
Speaker grills - $10
Tub with a real six VIN... - $5 to 10k

T.C.
bcheney
914/6 parts Value
Trailing arms 1000
Rear core calipers 200
Rear stub axles 200
Axles & CV joints 100
Set of four 5 bolt steel wheels 400
Tranny 700
Core motor 400
Intakes 100
Carbs & Linkage 800
Real Six Air filter housing 200
Six Engine tin 400
Six Heat exhangers 1500
Muffler & bracket 200
Oil tank 500
Filler neck 50
Front A-Arms 100
Struts 100
Strut top bushings and hardware 40
Steering rack 200
Front core calipers 150
Front bumper and dog bones 250
Front bumper grills and fog lights 125
Rear bumber 400
Rear Valence 200
Rocker panels 200
Dash top 200
Dash bottom 50
Steering wheel 100
Guages 150
Center Console 175
Carb Choke lever and cable 75
Steering column and in dash key ingnition switch 300
Complete wiring harnes 300
Real Six relay board 125
Electric windshield wiper parts 80
Shifter and shift rod 80
Fuel tank 100
Winshield Trim 100
Windshield 200
Side window glass and mechanisms 150
Side window triangle glass 80
Sail panel trim 75
Rear window 100
Side mirrors 200
Door handles and locks 100
Trunk lock 25
914-6 badge emblem 25
Front and rear light housings, lenses and side markers 350
Drivers seat 100
Passenger seat bottom 75
Back pad 150
Door panels 150
Speaker grills 100
Tub with a real six VIN... 5000
My total 17230 TC's total 16870

Pretty interesting.....
Cap'n Krusty
"WHAT" center console? BTW, most of your prices are so unrealistic as to be humorous. $1K for rear control arms? Gimme a break. And the wheels, if nice, would fetch half that $400. The oil tank? Odds are it's rusted through. The Cap'n
bandjoey
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=99992
A good member's car you'll enjoy and love and no hassle! Bill aktion035.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 9 2009, 11:46 PM) *

"WHAT" center console? BTW, most of your prices are so unrealistic as to be humorous. $1K for rear control arms? Gimme a break. And the wheels, if nice, would fetch half that $400. The oil tank? Odds are it's rusted through. The Cap'n

I believe he was referring to the Center "Deposit"

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 10 2009, 12:03 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=99992
A good member's car you'll enjoy and love and no hassle! Bill aktion035.gif

But the discussion here is a 914-6, not a 914 ( No disrespect Jared - nice car)

T.C.
Socalandy
Part out a #'s matching -6 car barf.gif

Very sad sad.gif
bcheney
Agreed...parting out these precious gems is terrible. However, there has to be folks willing to either hold on to them for the long haul, restore and invest tens of thousands or sell now to pay the bills at hand. I to hope there is a willing party with a large sum of discretionary funds on hand to preserve a Six. I was just trying to offer a thought to everyone on value of all the parts.
cal44
Well, it turns out that yes, this car was bought for $8K and the person selling it was in fact trying to make $4K from me. Thanks for all of your opinions and privated notes. It was very helpful in preventing a very bad decission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.