Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny problems help please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black&White
I was driving around and it drove good yesterday but today it wont go into any gear. the Stick free moves. anybody have an idea
Mike D.
Coupler bushings fell out or one of the lock screws backed itself out.
Did the shifting get sloppier through the drive yesterday?
Black&White
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 9 2009, 04:23 PM) *

Coupler bushings fell out or one of the lock screws backed itself out.
Did the shifting get sloppier through the drive yesterday?

it didn't seam sloppy, would the clutch if it went bad give me more heads up the trany was just rebuilt from the PO i have the paperwork. I hope it a easy I just got this car two days ago. and was a blast to drive so far to I got out of the drive way this morning
neil30076
Tell us what year the car is, there are 2 different transmissions, tail shift and side shift, it makes it easier to suggest what to look at next.
Black&White
QUOTE(neil30076 @ Oct 9 2009, 05:12 PM) *

Tell us what year the car is, there are 2 different transmissions, tail shift and side shift, it makes it easier to suggest what to look at next.

Sorry it a 74 side shift. I need to get a buddy to help so i can look at the trany as some moves the stick so i can check the linkage. Thanks for everyones help I have pics as sson as i figure this out and can get the car back driving.
Dr Evil
A sheared roll pin can cause this. Is the transmission stuck in a gear, or not able to be put in any gear (stuck in neutral)? This is not likely a bushing as a bushing typically only messes up the left-right selection, but you still have fore and aft.
When you say rebuilt and you have receipts, who did the work and what do you have receipts for??? Just because it was "rebuilt" does not mean it was done correctly (shift fork maladjustment can cause what you are experiencing), and receipts only mean that parts were bought. If the rebuild was not done right you would get what you have. If it is an alignment issue, you will be able to tell by removing the selector console. Check to see if the selector rod is moving first and then remove the console and check it. If you cant put the selector in neutral for the removal you will need to drive the roll pin out of the end and remove the boll end first.
But, one step at a time.
Black&White
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 9 2009, 08:33 PM) *

A sheared roll pin can cause this. Is the transmission stuck in a gear, or not able to be put in any gear (stuck in neutral)? This is not likely a bushing as a bushing typically only messes up the left-right selection, but you still have fore and aft.
When you say rebuilt and you have receipts, who did the work and what do you have receipts for??? Just because it was "rebuilt" does not mean it was done correctly (shift fork maladjustment can cause what you are experiencing), and receipts only mean that parts were bought. If the rebuild was not done right you would get what you have. If it is an alignment issue, you will be able to tell by removing the selector console. Check to see if the selector rod is moving first and then remove the console and check it. If you cant put the selector in neutral for the removal you will need to drive the roll pin out of the end and remove the boll end first.
But, one step at a time.

Thanks everyone i figured it out it was the linkage from the firewall to the shift rod bar came loose the bolt that hold them together came out it was a pain to get to with no jack but it fixed and drive great again. thanks for everyone help again I am sure i have more Questions as i come to learn these cars I was a 4x4 guy but wanted to do something new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.