Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll Bar Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
Hi everyone, I have a set of aftermarket roll bar seals which has a straight cut across both ends, and looking at the targa seal which has a 45 degree angle at the roll bar. Should the roll bar seal also have a 45 degree angle to properly fit the targa seal? Thanks in advance. Mike
McMark
If you're talking about the seal at the rear of the side window, then yes, it should have a 45* angle at the top.
xperu
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 11 2009, 12:01 PM) *

If you're talking about the seal at the rear of the side window, then yes, it should have a 45* angle at the top.

Yes, thats the ones I talking about, do you know where I can buy a pair that are properly made. All the time and money I have spent on the rust issues, I want to seal the car as good as possible. Thanks Mike
Mikey914
I sell the extrusuions for these that allow you to use the end plugs you have or allow you to cut and plug your own. I hav't done the tooling to do the plugs yet as most customers have done this. Attached is a picture of a cut and plugged seal. If you decide to go this route, I start by cutting the back lip off the extrusion and the laying it back down onto the cut part. Note that this is not a straight 45 cut, but a compound cut. I think you will find it easiest to install the seal and mark it so you can know where to cut.

If you can cut the old plugs of your extrusions you can make this work much easier by simply gluing them to the end of the extrusion.

Attached is a picture of cut and plugged.

Let me know if you have any questions, I hope this helps
Mikey914
Plugged
Mikey914
By the way if this is more than you want to deal with please send them back, I'll give you a full refund (I'll even pay the retun postage), I'm sorry I was not more clear that these were the extrusions only.
xperu
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 11 2009, 12:28 PM) *

By the way if this is more than you want to deal with please send them back, I'll give you a full refund (I'll even pay the retun postage), I'm sorry I was not more clear that these were the extrusions only.

Actually, I have no problem with you products, as a matter of fact I have tried to send business your way and plan to continue doing business with you. the seals I am refuring to did not come from you they were intended for my 76 some time back, the seals you sent me are still in the attic along with my other finish parts for my 74. I will get them from the attic now and take a look. Regards Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(xperu @ Oct 11 2009, 08:30 AM) *

Hi everyone, I have a set of aftermarket roll bar seals which has a straight cut across both ends, and looking at the targa seal which has a 45 degree angle at the roll bar. Should the roll bar seal also have a 45 degree angle to properly fit the targa seal? Thanks in advance. Mike

yes those are the old cheap ones from Tweeks Mid America without the molded 45 degree end cap. Cheaper to extrude one long length than spending the money on tooling for a proper vulcanized end cap. Cut it and seal it
xperu
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 11 2009, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(xperu @ Oct 11 2009, 08:30 AM) *

yes those are the old cheap ones from Tweeks Mid America without the molded 45 degree end cap. Cheaper to extrude one long length than spending the money on tooling for a proper vulcanized end cap. Cut it and seal it

Thanks George, funny you brought up Tweeks, I came accross a 1992 summer adtion of Mid-Engine Views I have when I owned my 70 and 75 back in the 90's. You were writing Tech Sessions, other adveriser were Otto's, Beach Boys Racing, DOC & Cy's Restoration Parts, Automobile Atlanta, and many more [great little magazine]. I lived in Ft. Worth at the time and loved going to the AX at Minerial Wells. Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.