Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I blew a seal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
The last time I raced in November I blew out the main transmission seal. This time it was the right half shaft seal. I'm thinking there must be some other problem to cause these failures. Any ideas???

There were 4 other 914's at the VARA race this weekend besides mine. All of the others were sixes.
Frank Beck won easily from the pole position.
Brad Roberts
Just about every time we install a LSD in a 901 we have to stake the output shaft seals. It shouldnt have ended your day.. just made a mess.

You have probably already checked.. but make sure the breather is pointed the correct direction and not blocked in any form or fashion.

You may also want to increase the size of the breather and take it to a trunk mounted "catch can" or something. We install a -6 (or -8) I forget unless I'm standing over a tranny.. and run the line from that.

Too much internal pressure.

B
Brad Roberts
It sucks being poor. Seeing peoples event pics makes me barf.gif I should be at Buttonwillow for a PCA Time Trial.. but NO.. I had to F myself.

B
VegasRacer
mine
Aaron Cox
is it me or do those fuchs on the red car looks super deep and like 17" blink.gif
Brad Roberts
Yeah.. gear lube on the headers.. YEEHAW..LOL

Clean up your mess.. you know better.. brake cleaner and some rags...

B
VegasRacer
Yea, I checked that first. The breather was not clogged and it was pointed the right way. Last time I was able to find a new main seal and replace it in time for the green flag. This time I could not locate a half shaft seal.

Towing home early sucks. At least it was only a half hour drive to feel sorry for myself this time.

Aaron - 15 x 7 inch wheels are all that is allowed. 205's on the front. 225's on the rear.
Brad Roberts
Move to the bigger breather setup. What RPM are you turning this engine ?

B
VegasRacer
7000 rmp
Brad Roberts
Um.. YEAH !! you have to go to a bigger breather... no wonder you are having issues.

The little 1.8 engines at 8k RPM sling shit everywhere.. we learned the hardway on how to keep everything inside the cases.. gotta figure the input shaft is turning 7K also.. torque normally kicks the side seals out with some internal pressure added in.

B
VegasRacer
Thanks Brad. I'll give it a try. smash.gif
Brad Roberts
Pretty cheap easy fix...

B
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 14 2004, 12:49 PM)
Pretty cheap easy

I dated her. wub.gif
seanery
Hell, I'd settle for one of the 3 wacko.gif
VegasRacer
Brad - Got any more ideas? idea.gif confused24.gif
I blew out the main seal again. headbang.gif
I put in a bigger breather with a catch in the rear trunk.
What else can I do to fix the problem icon14.gif
Brad Roberts
Main seal or output flange seal ??

What does your pilot bearing look like ?? Is the shaft moving around.. like something else in the box is failing and causing the seal to drop out ?

B
VegasRacer
Main seal is the one that leaked (again) this time.
I was also thinking maybe the pilot bearing.
I am not going to have a chance to drop the tranny until next week to check it out.

If I shift at 6000 rpm everything is fine.
When I push it to 7000 plus is when it fails.
Brad Roberts
I'm betting the pilot is toast and it is allowing the input shaft to move around (a lot)

I have seen it a few times on the V8 conversion cars.

B
4WheelDrifter
I'm still laughing at the "Eskimo sex" mention in the subject. laugh.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 6 2004, 09:52 PM)
I'm betting the pilot is toast and it is allowing the input shaft to move around (a lot)

Attached is a photo of the pilot bearing.
Say what? confused24.gif You don't see a picture?
That's because there was no pilot bearing! w00t.gif
I dropped the tranny and pulled the fly wheel.
There was nothing in the center. ohmy.gif
The PO had balanced and lightened the fly wheel.
I can't remember ever doing anything to it since I bought the car.
Is it really possible that I have been driving it for 7 years with no pilot bearing?

The hole for the bearing is very rough with lots of sharp edges inside.
The shaft only has a few light scuffs that will buff out easily.
I also found that the material sandwiched in the pressure plate is breaking apart.

I am feeling very lucky and very stupid. wacko.gif headbang.gif

Easy fix. smash.gif
Get new fly wheel and have it machined to match.
Install pilot bearing.
Get new 6 spring early 911 pressure plate.
Drive it 'till I break something else. MDB2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.