Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
elsargento
My wife and I keep hashing this one out.. Is Porsche one or two syllables? wacko.gif
Ferg
2 is correct, can't blame anyone that does not get it right, even newscasters and movies get it wrong.
Pat Garvey
It's two sylables, and I DO fault newscasters that pronounce it incorrectly - they are supposed to do a little research before they open thier yaps. It's been known for many many years that it's pronounced "por-sha".

This past summer, when I was having my house painted, the contractor kept calling me "Mr. Garvay". Pissed me off badly, and after the third time I informed him of the correct pronunciation. He was truely mortified, but I told him "know your customer - ask how his/hers name is pronounced - don't make assumptions - you won't hurt feelings. Still remember how brilliantly red his face was. Did a good job though.
Tom_T
As my departed Dad used to say:

"....well that depends on whether you're talking about the front porsh, or the rear porsh-e...!" laugh.gif
zymurgist
A blonde, wanting to earn some money, decided to hire herself out as a handyman-type and started canvassing a wealthy neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had any jobs for her to do.

"Well, you can paint my porch. How much will you charge?"

The blonde said, "How about 50 dollars?"

The man agreed and told her that the paint and ladders she would need were in the garage.

The man's wife, inside the house, heard the conversation and said to her husband, "Does she realize that the porch goes all the way around the house?"

The man replied, "She should. She was standing on the porch."

A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money.

"You're finished already?" he asked.

"Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats."

Impressed, the man reached in his pocket for the $50. "And by the way," the blonde added, "that's not a Porch, it's a Ferrari."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.