Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAR test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
is there a way to check if its working(AAR)
TravisNeff
Yes, 2 tests. One is to hook it up to 12v power and see if it closes after a few minutes. That tests teh heater in the valve. Next is to put the AAR in the oven 250 degrees or so and see if it closes within about 10 minutes - that tests the spring (which regulates opening and closing of the valve.
type47
In addition to the excellent advice above, you basically want to verify that the flow of air through the AAR will decrease (probably to no flow) as it heats up. You can test the flow by blowing air (as in through a hose connected to the port) through the nipples idea.gif and verifying that the flow is less with higher temp.
jim_hoyland
agree.gif All the above. When I remove mine, I hold it up to the light and note the percentage of opening at ambient temperature. Mine typically is open 1/3 to 1/2.
Then, I'll hook it up directly to 12 volts and measure the time it takes to close. Mine average 1.5 - 2.0 minutes. If all is ok, a quick spray of WD40 and then reinstallation..

I've never done the oven test, but I have put the AAR into the freezer; the opening increases to 1/2 -3/4--on some AAR's, more.

Picture: Looking through hole in AAR at ambient temperature--around 75 degrees
type47
That brings up an interesting point: Jim is showing an L-jet AAR and you don't state what FI system you have; D-jet or L-jet. Really doesn't make any difference except D-jet AAR's are NLA new but I think you can still get L-jet AAR's new. Probably plenty used ones available.
oldschool
thanks Jim and all, 1973 1.7 with a D rolleyes.gif
r_towle
Body is ground, red is positive.

I have rebuilt a few, its not really that hard...They just get dirty and full of crap that needs to be cleaned out.

It should flow ZERO air once its heated up, or then you have a vacuum leak.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.