Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srohling
I recently replaced the firewall bushing and rear shift coupling bushing. Since performing the work, it has been increasingly difficult to shift/find reverse. In addition, first has been a little difficult to locate. I am looking for guidance before I jack the car up and climb under. BTW, its a 74 2.0. Any help is appreciated.
srohling
Little more information...when I do locate reverse, there is no grinding....I do have a little grinding when going into 1st, but nothing unusual.
McMark
Try adjusting the shifter. There is a nut at the base of the shifter, accessible through a hole. Carefully loosen the nut and move the shifter to the left (toward the driver) then retighten the nut.
ericread
OK, you just replaced the bushings. Check the cone screws. You had them out and probably used the same ones upon reinstalling the shifter. I believe the new cone screws come with a dot of thread-locker to ensure they do not back out.

If you plan to re-use the cone screws, dab just a dot of thread-locker juice oin them then snug them tight.

Eric Read
2-OH!
Usually, 1st and Rev. problem is clutch adjustment...

Since you tightend the bushings up, try a clutch adjustment now and see if that helps...If you did not mess with the shifter, the current setting may be OK...Otherwise do the clutch adj. and the shifter adj. as suggested above...

2-OH!
McMark
Cone screws come with a nylon 'plug' that locks it in place, not thread locker. I've heard too many stories and dealt with too many cars with loctite on the threads. Brand new cone screws are the best bet.
ericread
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 12 2009, 08:43 PM) *

Cone screws come with a nylon 'plug' that locks it in place, not thread locker. I've heard too many stories and dealt with too many cars with loctite on the threads. Brand new cone screws are the best bet.

agree.gif

It's not that I disagree, it's just that my main point was to check if the cone screws are tight. If they have loosened, tighten them, then immediately go inside and order a new set as McMark advises.

Eric
srohling
Thanks guys for all your help. The cone screw had come loose. Its tightened and new ones ordered!!!
ericread
QUOTE(srohling @ Oct 13 2009, 10:12 AM) *

Thanks guys for all your help. The cone screw had come loose. Its tightened and new ones ordered!!!

HAHAHA!!!! I WIN!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Eric biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
No lock tite, ever.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 13 2009, 04:26 PM) *

No lock tite, ever.

sad2.gif
elsargento
Just replaced all the bushings and the old cones looked good. Tighten the piss out of them and all seems ok for now. But will remember this thread..lol driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.