Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is my car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
Ok, I'm not putting pics in this post because the pics I have are mostly in my build thread linked in my sig. However, I don't have pics for this particular question anyways.

My car has a build date of 07/72, so, I logically assume that it is in fact a 73, right? Well, here's the tough part; the shifter linkage is 72 style tail shift. If the PO were going to replace anything, I would think he would upgrade, not downgrade, so I assume it's stock. And the vent lever in the floor is also 72. The rest of the car, (i.e. dash, wiring etc.) as far as I can tell seems to be all the 73 variety. So far the only parts that stands out are the shift stuff and the vent stuff. So what is the car? Is this normal?

Plus, how in Hades do you get that section of shift linkage out of the tunnel without removing the tunnel? I'm going to replace it with parts from my 74 which has side shifter parts in good shape.

Thanks again in advance guys.
SirAndy
Early '73 cars had '72 parts. The switch to the newer parts was somewhat "fluid".

Does the VIN start with 473 and is it a low number at the end?
idea.gif Andy

PS: The shift linkage comes out the back ...
Gigamight
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 12 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Early '73 cars had '72 parts. The switch to the newer parts was somewhat "fluid".

Does the VIN start with 473 and is it a low number at the end?
idea.gif Andy

PS: The shift linkage comes out the back ...

Close, the Vin is 4722921277.
Thank you for clarifying that, I feel much better.

I just thought about the shift linkage question... Am I supposed to remove the linkage ..... thing on the shift rod, under the shifter first? If so then I feel kinda dumb now. See the PO did some creative bodywork where everything exits the tunnel in the engine bay, seems he used drywall mud to seal his work up too. That right, you didn't read that wrong, DRYWALL MUD confused24.gif guess he thought it looked similar enough to bondo.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Oct 12 2009, 03:27 PM) *

That explains it ... smile.gif

Your car is indeed a '72 and not a '73.

Yes, you need to disconnect the shifter from the rod first. Btw. you will need the whole assembly, shifter, console, rod, engine mount bar, outer solid engine mounts etc.

None of those tailshifter parts will work with the sideshifter.
shades.gif Andy
Gigamight
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 12 2009, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Gigamight @ Oct 12 2009, 03:27 PM) *

That explains it ... smile.gif

Your car is indeed a '72 and not a '73.

Yes, you need to disconnect the shifter from the rod first. Btw. you will need the whole assembly, shifter, console, rod, engine mount bar, outer solid engine mounts etc.

None of those tailshifter parts will work with the sideshifter.
shades.gif Andy

A 72?! Dangit, that means I have to go back to the drawing board for my vanity plates. unsure.gif

**Just re-read your post above, so the following makes no sense, ignore it*

I appreciate the pointers about the shifter stuff, but rest assured, even though I am still asking some real newb questions, I am still reading everything that I can around here and taking notes. I actually have 2 complete side shift setups waiting in the garage (just in case I find a prob with one), and 3 side shift trannies (just in case). I'm learning,.... slowly perhaps, but still learning.
underthetire
Didn't 73 and 74 have the extra plate in the front trunk for the bumper tits as well?
Cap'n Krusty
I doubt it. They're attached to the bumper blade, not the body, and the attachment points for that are outboard of the trunk.

The Cap'n
underthetire
Maybe not so much for the tits, but I was told 73 and 74 have an extra plate in the front of the front trunk. It has a radius that maches the spare tire. My 70 didn't have one. Also they deleted it in 75&76 for the large bumpers.

Anyone confirm or deny ???
914Sixer
The 73 car transition occurred for cars built after Jan 1 1973. Cars were required to have retracting seat belts, front trunk reinforcement and guard beams in the door.
swl
not quite Mark. Like most car companies of that era the 73 model year began production in the summer for Sep delivery - not on the calendar year. As Andy said it was a strange transition from 72-73 as if they were using up parts. Orange914 has done a lot of research on the early 73's I'm sure he'll be by soon enough and give us the lowdown.
agentblr
I parted out an early 73 2.0 last year, sn# 4732901302 it had a few of the 72 parts like the early engine lid and raintray,non reinforced doors with beetle style window lifts,and the aircleaner has crisscrossed stiffening ribbes instead of the more common parallel ones.The most odd part was it was fitted with 914/6 rear calipers ! I assume they were bolted on later in life but has anyone else ever seen or heard of this with VW-Porsche clearing out the parts bin on the early 73s ?? Oh and for the purist this car was rusted way beyond hope...think broken in half !
zx-niner
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 12 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Maybe not so much for the tits, but I was told 73 and 74 have an extra plate in the front of the front trunk. It has a radius that maches the spare tire. My 70 didn't have one. Also they deleted it in 75&76 for the large bumpers.

Anyone confirm or deny ???

Yes, my 74 has such a plate that matches the the spare tire radius.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.