Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 engine question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal44
Is the 2.0 engine in a bus the same as a 914 2.0?. May sound like a simple question but not to the uneducated (me).

For instance, would the 2.0 from a bus bolt up to a 914 '73 thru '75? Also is the GA on all the air cooled 2.0s?

I'm sure this has been covered here so maybe some direction. I ordered reference books but they have yet to arrive.

Mike
type47
They are not the same but extremely close to being identical. Whereas many parts are the same (crankshaft, cylinders, rods (?)) come to mind as a short list, there are major differences that hinder a direct bolt up of a bus 2.0 into a 914. Oil fill, oil level dip stick, engine tin ... GA and GC serial number engines were the 2.0 914 engines with Porsche heads that can be identified by their 3 studs to mount the intake runners to the head. The angle of the spark plugs in the head makes a set of engine cooling tin different from bus and 1.8 914 engine tin. 2.0 engines had an injection system called D-jet (D-jetronic or pressure (druck) controlled, if controlled is the right word for manifold pressure controlled). Bus engines are designed to work in, well, buses which have a different design for the use of the vehicle, so they have low horsepower engines because, well, they are transporters intended to run at lower RPM. This is not to say that you cannot put a bus engine in a 914 and this has been discussed on this board many times. What is your particular situation with a bus engine and a 914?

Oh, and
welcome.png
cal44
Jim, I thought I would start collecting 2.0 parts. No application yet. Thanks for the heads up as I forgot about the GC and three bolt Porsche heads. I am in the process of re-learning the 914 world.
My books should be here any day but I'm sure they don't tell the whole story and this is why I must defer to the experts.

Mike
underthetire
I have a late bus 2.0 in mine. It's a hydro lifter motor. Works fine, but don't expect 73 2.0 power out of it unless you change pistons, cam and heads.
Ian Stott
I have a 73 2.0 and my understanding is there is a huge difference. Check with Jake Raby or maybe he will chime in here and let you know the difference. My comparison would be there are V8 truck engines such as the 318 and there are 318 V8's in cars, both are 318 V8's but you wouldn't really want the truck engine in your car, yeah it would work but the torque curves are all different.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.